Author Topic: Something is wrong with Penny... Reaction to vacinne? Sore from hip exam?  (Read 5898 times)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Today at 4:30 Penny had a vet exam to get her last distemper shot and a rabies shot. While she was there the vet checked her hip range of motion and also gave her a kennel cough shot (I think). I know that she got a shot in the rear and a shot on the side, but I don't know which one is which.

A few minutes ago Penny was trying to get on the couch, so I picked her up to sit in my lap and she yelped in pain, then when she was just laying there she yelped again and when I set her down she yelped again. Then laying on her bed she yelped one more time. We were trying to figure out is something was in pain and it is her right hip the makes her yelp. She has never yelped about her hip before.

She can walk fine, but I am really concerned because I can tell she is in pain from the yelping. I don't know if it's a reaction to the vaccine shot or the hip check. I am worrying about her.

Has anyone ever had a puppy react like this after a vaccine? Vet check? Should I be taking her to the er, or is she just gonna be sore for a while?  ???
RIP former BPO

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Some animals can be extremely sensitive to vaccines.
Just watch her very closely over the next few days.
Maybe an ice pack at the place where she had the shots.
Poor baby-treat time!!!
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
We did call the 24 hour emergency vet and they said it's probably just sore so we should watch it overnight. I'm just nervous.
RIP former BPO

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Poor Penny :( I hope she's ok...
Titan was very sesitive after his shots. He would wimper a bit when you touched his back rump :) where the shot was...the vet said its almost like a bruse after they get there shots. After a couple of days he was fine. Plus they checked her hips so maybe??? BIG Maybe??? She is sore from that... I dont know much about that test....could you explain further? I am just intreasted that's all...my vet has never mentioned it. :)
Hope by tomorrow she is up an feeling better!!
XOXOXO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
they checked her hips so maybe??? BIG Maybe??? She is sore from that... I dont know much about that test....could you explain further? I am just intreasted that's all...my vet has never mentioned it. :)

Basically when a vet thinks a dog might have hip dysplacia, one of the first things they do is take the legs and sort of move them in a circle to see if they have a full range of motion or if they show any signs of pain. You can only really test for hip dysplacia with an xray, which they would never do this young. The reason she even did the range of motion this young is that we mentioned we are seeing the dreaded HD bunny hop  :-\ But even though she is bunny hopping, she has never shown any signs of joint pain until today.
RIP former BPO

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Titan is bunny hopping too!!! And let me tell you its scaring the crap put of me that's why I asked.... we have medacam for any knid of pain we are hoping its nothing more than growing pains but it only seams to on one leg...it could be an injury too we are playing the waiting game!  :P
Thanks for the response!!

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Our vet did the range of motion thing with Beau the day after we got him at 8 weeks old.  This did not cause him pain.
I am thinking it's the shots.

Hope she feels better soon.
Just watch your little cuddle muffin.
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
She seems to be normal again today - no yelping at all :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Glad to hear Penny is feeling better. :-*

I agree, it probably was the rabies shot. I remember Miles acting kinda weird if I'd touch the injection site after his rabies.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees