Author Topic: Meet our newest family members! Sorry, NDR  (Read 3325 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Meet our newest family members! Sorry, NDR
« on: April 24, 2008, 08:16:24 am »
After I lost Francis, my chinese water dragon, on April 1st (my birthday, how crappy  :'( ) I was pretty bummed.

I had been looking off and on for some new birds for awhile b/c I had some extra cages.  Originally, I had planned on getting a second cockatiel, a conure, and maybe some finches.  But I came across these two and it seemed like a good match.

Originally, I saw an ad for these two, including the cage, very good deal.  Emailed the person and she said someone else was interested but if it didn't work out they were mine. I never heard back from her so I assumed the other person got them.

About a week later I saw the ad up again. I emailed her again and said I was still interested.  When the person replied, I realized it was not the origal poster.  It was the person who beat me to them!  And he was selling them for the same price, but w/o the cage!  Harumph!  Still a good deal though so I figured what the heck.  I was given no ages or names or really any info on them.  So, w/o further ado, meet:

Louigi.  He's a peach fronted conure.  I'm guessing he's still young b/c adults have orange rimmed around their eyes which he doesn't have.

Hellooooo BPO!!

In case you were wondering why his feathers look a bit odd, it's b/c he probably had psittacine beak and feather disease (PBFD).  I wish I had noticed before getting him but I was excited to add them, and probably would have gotten him anyway  ::).  I had noticed his chest looked odd but they are prone to feather plucking so I assumed that's what it was.  They are quarantined from my other birds.

And meet Hamlet.  He is a blue crowned conure.  He shows no signs of PBFD but I will have him tested to see if I can forego my normal isolation and put him up with the other birds.  Since he and Louigi have been together for who knows how long, I am keeping them together for now.

He is definitely the sweeter of the two and will allow head scratches and really seems to enjoy being scratched under his wings.

Here are their cages, for now.  I'd like to upgrade to something bigger by fall.

They are both warming up quickly.  I only just got them on Wed and will already step up w/o much problems.  Louigi is still pretty nippy but I was aware of that issue......... ..which is why I'm wearing gloves in case you noticed....... ..lol  ;)

They both talk too, which is awesome b/c I've tried for years to get my current and previous cockatiels to talk.  My last one never did and my current one just mimics whistles and sounds.  Louigi is much easier to undertand..... ....in fact if I didn't have him I would have no idea what Hamlet is saying.......l ol.  I only know b/c they tend to say the same thing at the same time.  Louigi can say, "hello", "what'cha doin?", "step up", "love you" and something that sounds like "hi babe".  Hamlet can say, "hello", "love you" and "step up"

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Meet our newest family members! Sorry, NDR
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 08:28:43 am »
Very handsome!!! I love the bright peach/orange colour on Louigi. And Hamlet's blue/green is beautiful....L OVE the gloves  ;)

Sorry to hear about Francis  :'(
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:35:27 am »
L OVE the gloves  

Yeah, they're actually my gardening gloves, although I haven't done much gardening yet.  ::)  They're starting to put holes in them but I can't find my leather work gloves.  :P

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 10:59:31 am »
awww...what a beautiful pair!  I truly love birds and have always wanted a Cockatoo...Jus t waiting for that perfect bird.  ...The one thats not 1500.00..So until then I will just dream...I do have a green cheek conure and a ringed neck parakeet and adore them both...Your two are beautiful!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:08:03 pm »
Such beautiful birds! Sounds like you are really enjoying them!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
They are so awesome...I dont know much about birds do the sing? They are so pretty...sorry hansome!! Congrats...it was ment to be!!  :D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 04:10:45 am »
They are very pretty.  What is PBFD?  I gather it is contagious, but will he have it forever or is it curable?

PBFD is extremely contagious, which is why any bird with symptoms should be immediately quarantined.  The main symptom is feather loss/deformities.  I was doing some research on it b/c although I've heard of it I had never seen a bird with it.  Most of the pix are of lovebirds completely bald except for their heads.

It affects mostly young birds/hatchlings and thankfully one site said it is rare for older birds to get it, or if they do they can usually overcome it.  So hopefully it is not likely to transmit to my cockatiel (3 yrs) or canaries (age unknown but guessing older)

There is really no or prevention although a vaccine is in the works.  Besides feather loss/damange, it can also cause beak deformities/overgrowth.  It can also cause a slew of other problems, mostly immune related (ie: infections).

There is a high mortality rate for young birds who get this, so it is a very serious disease.  Blood is drawn to test for it although it sounds like you could also do a biopsy of some sort on the bird and/or feather shaft of undamaged feathers.

Birds who are tested are recommended to be tested again after 60-90 days.  Those that test negative on the second test are thought to be clean after that and good to reintroduce with the rest of the colony.  Those that still test positive are thought to be permanently infected and must remain isolated.

A bird can have this disease and never show any symptoms which is why it is one of the main tests run on birds (along with psittacosis).  There was some conflicting info out there so most of what I have written is off of one site that was referenced by others.

I am hoping to have both of them tested next week.  Hopefully it is not too expensive.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 04:14:07 am »
They are so awesome...I dont know much about birds do the sing? They are so pretty...sorry hansome!! Congrats...it was ment to be!! 

these guys don't sing.......... ..although I suppose if you played a certain song/phrase over and over again they may pick it up.  Most vocalizations that a bird learns is w/i the first year or two although some can learn throughout their lives.

I don't need these guys to sing.  ;)  My cockatiel whistles to his own toon.......... .lol.  He whistles his own made up songs throughout the day (although at one point he knew most of the Andy Griffith theme song)  ;D

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 05:00:42 am »
Pretty awesome birds.  we have 2 cockateils and all they do is scream and do the "pretty lady" whistle when you walk by them.
Best of luck with them.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:06:56 am »
I had a blue crown conure. His name was Conan (the birdbarian!!) He was very smart! He had a great vocabulary and learned most of a theme song to a cartoon. The theme song went "You don't need pants to do the victory dance." and Conan would sing, "You don't need pants to do the victory..victo ry..victory"! I never could get him to say the last word.

He also said "Wanna go night night" when he was ready for his cage to be covered.

He said "What are you doing?" "I looooove you", and would make kissing noises.

your birds are beautiful - have fun with them!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain