Author Topic: Golden Allergies getting worse  (Read 2841 times)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
Golden Allergies getting worse
« on: April 26, 2008, 08:33:05 pm »
Hey all! 

I've got a bit of a problem here.  Cody has had mild allergies forever, he usually gets a hotspot on the side of his face every september 10 (4 days before his birthday), and he gets scabs on his body in spring and summer...but that is about it.  As of this year, he is now non-stop licking his paws.  I have not done anything as of yet, and was hoping for some nice safe ideas :)

anything would be appreciated!

Thanks,
nickers
NICKI

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Allergies getting worse
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 09:54:00 pm »
yep, changed him to Eagle Pack Holistic Senior, he is still on his first bag. 

Jaba told me benadryl can slow down their heart so much it can stop....haven't looked into it myself, but that scares me enough to not give it to him anymore (he's older and fatter than ever). 

Nickers
NICKI

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:50:02 pm »
COuld be the food change, or an infection. My golden is 10 and has had severe allergies for the last 8 years or so. She is licking her paws as I type this. We've tried everything but she just keeps on licking... The best thing we can do is apply steroid spray on her paws and that seems to relieve the itch although we try not to use it very often per the vets orders...  we have her on Claritin every day (buy the generic pills from Sams Club) and that does help some too...   Check your food and see if there is a big change. Did Cody eat beef before? Mine is really allergic to Beef and I think that is in the Eagle Pack you are giving Cody. Eagle Pack rocks but we feed the lamb and rice...  Good luck!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 03:54:09 am »
Jaba told me benadryl can slow down their heart so much it can stop....haven't looked into it myself, but that scares me enough to not give it to him anymore (he's older and fatter than ever). 

Nickers

That is the info that our pharmacist neighbor told us. He fond in the medicine guide that is bad. I trust him even though nothing ever happened to Bear when he got it in the past.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.