Author Topic: Retriver mix hip dysplasia  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Vada

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Retriver mix hip dysplasia
« on: August 04, 2005, 09:49:59 am »
My 10 month old rescue, we found her when she was 8 weeks with bad case of scabie mange, is showing signs of hip dysplasia.  Anyone have any advice or experience with this problem. 

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Retriver mix hip dysplasia
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:51:38 am »
Unfortunately I have recent experience with this.  My Newf mix was diagnosed with HD at six months.  He will be 9 months this Fri.  We had to do hip surgery pretty quickly because his bones were already starting to wear and arthritis was beginning to develop. He's still recovering so I'm not sure whether it will be successful or not.  Regardless, it has been a very hard experience and I'm sorry that you are dealing with it as tool. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I've posted alot on here about it.  If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to share my experience more..
Maggie

Offline Vada

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 11:09:10 am »
She was right as rain until Tues when she favored her left rear leg.  Yesterday we got home and she was having trouble getting her hind end up.  We had to lift her up..once she's on her feet she is fine, but she shows great reluctance to lie down and has diffculty getting that back end up.  What isn't helping is she has periodic mange outbreaks caused by stress etc...so the poor girl looks and feels less than her best.  I am taking her to the vet sat. to check her out.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 11:18:44 am »
Hello

I have no experiance with hip dysplasia, but I have read that lots of people give there dogs suppliments, like glucosamin, it helps with joints ect. I have both my dogs on food that has glucosamin in it. I would check out some suppilments, I am sure people here will reccomend some to you as well

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 02:54:03 pm »
Like maggieb We have been unfortunate enough to deal with HD.
Hogan ( rotti) was diganosed at 5-6 months with it. Don't wait too long his deteriated very fast. It is a costly  sugery but worth everypenny when successful. Good Luck

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 09:23:18 pm »
My Vet told while they are growing and pups give lots of Vit C, Msm, omegas.  She also said to watch the excercising.  Long leash walks are a nono...let the pup play and rest on its own....  And absolutely no Calcium.....  The vit C and the MSM I got from the health food store - human grade and the Msm comes in a powder so you can just add it to the food and I found Vit C-ester in liquid (although I was just noticing that it is a Calcium ascorbate and not sure if I should switch because of the calcium).  I really like my vet she uses both holistic vet med as well as traditional western vet medicine.
Timmie