Author Topic: shedding  (Read 2220 times)

Offline raven08

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
shedding
« on: April 28, 2008, 04:21:18 pm »
my 2/12 yr old male siberian husky is shedding bad.. Is there anything i can do to get himto stop? he looks really bad.. his fur is coming out in clumps.. i know some shedding is normal but help me .. should i bring himto the groomers ???  :D :o

Nicole

Re: shedding
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 05:10:17 pm »
Umm..where do you live? I know that my dog is shedding like crazy right now, big ol' clumps and everything, but its starting to get warm. So, that is totally normal!

Does he not usually do this? Tsunami, our old Sibe, used to blow his coat in the spring, too.

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 11:48:18 pm »
I have 2 Malamutes and an Alaskan Husky - Talk about hair!  We live in South Central Alaska and the shedding season has just begun.  The little husky who is very light coated is dropping more than the heavily coated mals.  Chunks ar flying about my house - ughhhhhhhhhh  You should see our yard after 2 minutes of brushing any of them - I could spin balls and balls of yarn.  Not sure of where you are located - but if you are anywhere south of Alaska - I would say this is normal.  I used the Furminator horse size) all winter but now I I switched to a "rake".  The rake pulls the clumps out faster.  The furminator couldn't keep up.  The Malamutes are heavy coated and will "blow" coat totally twice a year.  I think a siberian is similar.  My AK Husky is a bit different and sheds only once very hard each spring - then just little the rest of the year.

Good Luck - A good grooming will help - but I believe you may have a few more weeks of heavy shed to go.  Hang in there!
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:55:39 pm »
Just a tip for all those fur babies that are begining to blow coat..

Once it begins a good bath and a long soak in creme rinse or conditioner... .

I used to have snow in the way of fur in my yard every june or so..when I raised Collies..

I'd gice them all a bath...then load them down with conditioner and turn them loose for about half an hour..then after making sure the hose was on the strongest stream THROUGHLY rinse them out even if it takes several rinse's..MAKE SURE YOU GET IT ALL OUT..

Then some would be tied..*because they liked to roll.** the rest turned loose again and then one at a time put them on the gooming table and blow them out and comb out most of the undercoat..som etimes this would have to be repeated several weeks later to get it all but it always worked really well..

Good luck..

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:32:14 am »
If your dog is in fact blowing coat, get out your rake.  If you don't get the undercoat out, it will mat up like crazy.  The undercoat is like cotton and tends to stick together, once it turns loose.  I am in the process of dematting the new dog we just got.  I'm in Florida, and my dogs started blowing coat in January/February this year.  Her previous owners NEVER brushed her.  I couldn't find the skin on her tail, hips, thighs, sides, neck.  It was just a solid mat.  Luckily, because it was caused by her undercoat blowing, I am able to pull small sections away from the huge mats and pick/rake it out.  Just don't let it go too long.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:42:33 am »
Honestly, I found it a waste of money to take Adak to the Groomers when he started blowing his coat, get a slicker brush and try to brush it out. I pluck Adak's some, spray leave in conditioner on the hair first and it will come out better. They usually shed longer than a couple of days. When we are blowing coat I brush daily