Author Topic: Any advise for introducing current BPO to new pup?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Any advise for introducing current BPO to new pup?
« on: August 04, 2005, 10:42:59 am »
I'm slightly worried about the new pup we're getting tomorrow.  When I took Bo to the vet, he growled at another pup that was there.  I HOPE he's not dog aggressive, but I have no baseline yet.  I'm hoping that, on neutral ground, he'll take to the new girl and she to him.

Any words of advise?

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 10:45:11 am by Bosmum »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Any advise for introducing current BPO to new pup?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 10:49:07 am »
Bo might have some dominance issues at first...Lady did when we brought Grace home.  But then she realized the puppy was hers to keep and learned to be a good friend. 
Dogs at the vet or outside the home are different. 
Just keep an eye on him and teach him not to do that with the new puppy.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 12:49:28 pm »
One thing I know that you are supposed to do is have the first meeting on neautral territory. So instead of just bringing the pup into the house at first, you are supposed to bring both dogs so a feild or something to meet each other before you take them both back home.... Also, make sure that you are giving the older dog as much attention as the pup so he will not feel threatened that the baby is taking you away from him.
RIP former BPO

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 03:06:53 pm »
The above is great advice. We just got a new baby in June and had to introduce him to our 7 year old male.
We were also introducing male to male too./ That made me nervous. When the puppy came home the trainer said to put the puppy in the kennel/crate and let the older dog come sniff etc. This took care of the size difference. They did this for 2-3 days only through the crate intro. Then I would take the puppy out when he was tired and my husband had the rotti lay by him. The rott would come up and sniff the sleeping puppy and eventually started to give him a little lick here and there. The rotti was comfortable with this b/c there ws not a wild crazy puppy trying to nip him. We did this for 1-2 days. Then started to have the puppy out while he was awake. Then we sectioned off with baby gates one dog upstairs one down. They started to touch noses. Then I started putting the puppy on the ground still holding him and let the rot sniff him.
It took about 1 wek before the rotti accepted him. Once he did he started grooming the puppy etc. now they are inseperatable. Just take your time. Good Luck

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 03:23:42 pm »
All the above advice is excellent. Here is what we did...

We made the mistake to not intoduce on neutral territorty, that didn't work out to well, Our Lab hated our male puppy, then upon researching how to introduce a new pup into the family. We re introduced on neutral territory with both dogs on a leach, and in the house Harley, the lab was queen constant praise ect so that she knew she was alpha dog. And she still is, the pup is almost 8 months and he still tries to challenge her but she always wins in the end ;D. Oh we also kept all toys away until for a day so that Harley wouldn't freak if the pup took a toy. Now they get along great, Harley loves the company, and Dilbert sticks to her like glue.
Good Luck I am sure everything will be fine

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 01:01:26 pm »
We intro'd our shiba to our new akita in our back yard. Because the shiba was a strictly inside dog and we had just moved into our home, he hadn't claimed the yard yet. We had to spend hours in the back yard during the following 3 days, letting them get to know each other before Oni accepted Joji as a member of the pack.
We also did not shower Joji with attention, always greeted Oni first before Joji.
They get along great now - inseparable.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret