Author Topic: Lateral Luxation of the Patella  (Read 2581 times)

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Lateral Luxation of the Patella
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
After Rosie's episode with her torn ACL and surviving through the TPLO surgery (and mostly the tough recovery following it), she was diagnosed yesterday with lateral luxation of the patella, which it appears will require another surgery on the same TPLO leg.

Does anyone have any experience with this? And what procedure was used to fix it?
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Lateral Luxation of the Patella
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 07:24:21 pm »
I've been researching this very thing because Jenny might have this condition as well. What I have found out so far is that there are varying degrees of severity of the luxation where the kneecap comes out of the groove. The luxation is ranked from 1-4 with 4 being the most severe. 2-4 requiring surgery to correct, 1 not needing surgery. It seems to be genetic and other than surgery, I haven't found anything else yet. I have another appointment with my vet next week to get some results and discuss this with her further.

I'm sorry to hear that Rosie might need another surgery.  :(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:26:08 pm by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 07:58:07 pm »
I have another appointment with my vet next week to get some results and discuss this with her further.

What kind of tests did they do to formally diagnose Jenny? I have great confidence in the surgeon and our vet, but they diagnosed it with her symptoms and I guess by palpating her leg and such. Did they do an x-ray on your girl's leg?

I've been doing my research online too. Rosie's been experiencing intermittent lameness which she eventually walks off, but every now and then, she'll also take a step/pivot that buckles her 'bunk' leg. So our guess is that it's at a greater severity that requires surgery. I would be interested to know what your vet says they're going to do to treat Jenny's case.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 06:40:23 am »
Yes, she took an X-ray of Jenny's legs. I haven't seen Jenny experience the lameness or walk out of the ordinary, so I'm hoping that it's not too severe. But I'm concerned that it could become more severe over time as some of the research seems to suggest can happen. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything else or what my vet says. Good luck with Rosie!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven