BPO Recommended Reading > Book Club & Noteworthy Reads

The Art of Racing In The Rain - A MUST read!

(1/3) > >>

Scootergirl:
Starbucks will be selling "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein starting May 13 so they sent each store a pre-view copy so the partners could read it.

This is an AMAZING book. I highly recommend it. It is written from the point of view of a dog who is at the end of his life. He wants to be put to sleep because he feels he's accomplished all he needs to with his family and his aches and pains are getting too much to bear.

The book is a reflection of his life and the trials and jubilations he's endured with his family. The dog, "Enzo", saw a program on National Geographic once that stated when a dog dies in Mongolia and is buried on a mountain, he will come back as a human. Enzo wants nothing more than to come back as a man with opposable thumbs and a tongue that can form words.

WARNING: This book will make you SOB!! Not just at the end, either (but mostly at the end). It is beautifully written, funny, exciting and heartbreaking and heartwarming.

You can order it from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Racing-Rain-Garth-Stein/dp/0061537934/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209650175&sr=1-2,

but, of course, I'd prefer you waited until May 13 and bought it from your local Starbucks!!

Rosalba:
oh, I shall!!! My "to read" list is too long, and my bookshelves are overflowing with books I keep telling myself I will read next, but this one sounds really too good to pass up! :D

aggghgmom:
I don't know that I can read it - I am an emotional wreck I traditionally don't watch movies or read books that will depress me - or upset me - Marley and me pretty much put me over the edge.  Right now I'm reading a ridiculous book about the devil inhabiting someones body but it is written funny not scary - I'm such a scardy cat, whiney baby  :P

marypyrs:
I'm going to order it. Although I'll be reading it with a box of tissue in hand no doubt.

Anyone read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen? Not a dog theme but very good.

TannerW:
Not to railroad this topic, but it reminded me that I read a good "dog book" the other day:

"The Dogs Who Found Me", by Ken Foster.

Quick read, and well worth it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version