Author Topic: The Art of Racing In The Rain - A MUST read!  (Read 11748 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
The Art of Racing In The Rain - A MUST read!
« on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:21 am »
Starbucks will be selling "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein starting May 13 so they sent each store a pre-view copy so the partners could read it.

This is an AMAZING book. I highly recommend it. It is written from the point of view of a dog who is at the end of his life. He wants to be put to sleep because he feels he's accomplished all he needs to with his family and his aches and pains are getting too much to bear.

The book is a reflection of his life and the trials and jubilations he's endured with his family. The dog, "Enzo", saw a program on National Geographic once that stated when a dog dies in Mongolia and is buried on a mountain, he will come back as a human. Enzo wants nothing more than to come back as a man with opposable thumbs and a tongue that can form words.

WARNING: This book will make you SOB!! Not just at the end, either (but mostly at the end). It is beautifully written, funny, exciting and heartbreaking and heartwarming.

You can order it from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Art-Racing-Rain-Garth-Stein/dp/0061537934/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209650175&sr=1-2,

but, of course, I'd prefer you waited until May 13 and bought it from your local Starbucks!!

« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:09:10 am by scootergirl »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
Re: The Art of Racing In The Rain - A MUST read!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:06:33 pm »
oh, I shall!!! My "to read" list is too long, and my bookshelves are overflowing with books I keep telling myself I will read next, but this one sounds really too good to pass up! :D
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »
I don't know that I can read it - I am an emotional wreck I traditionally don't watch movies or read books that will depress me - or upset me - Marley and me pretty much put me over the edge.  Right now I'm reading a ridiculous book about the devil inhabiting someones body but it is written funny not scary - I'm such a scardy cat, whiney baby  :P

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 06:29:30 pm »
I'm going to order it. Although I'll be reading it with a box of tissue in hand no doubt.

Anyone read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen? Not a dog theme but very good.

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:24:52 pm »
Not to railroad this topic, but it reminded me that I read a good "dog book" the other day:

"The Dogs Who Found Me", by Ken Foster.

Quick read, and well worth it.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:38:50 pm »
I am an avid reader and will stay up late after the dog duties to read, I will be going to Starbucks in the morning. As far as I am Legend- nope, cant do it if the dog dies, cant handle dogs and dying lately- hits too close to home.
Also another excellent book, Saving Sprite by Mark Levine. I read this book right before Dawn lost Woofie- I cried until I hurt and then just didnt know what to do next other than go and hug my rescues.

I want to meet Mark Levine at some point in my life, it probably wont happen- I am basically a nobody and cant imagine why he would want to sit down and talk to me about Sprite and the book he wrote, but this man has such compassion for dogs, that I would like to shake his hand and tell him thank you for all of the dogs that didnt make it out of the shelters, and that his book to Sprite was also a tribute to all shelter dogs and thier struggle to live.

marypyrs

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:10 pm »
OK then. I've just added two more. The Dogs Who Found Me. & Saving Sprite

I SOOOOO wish there was a Barns and Noble in Two Harbors.

When I 'grow up' I'm gonn'a open one!  :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:06:35 pm »
I bought The Art of Racing in the Rain- I havent started it yet- I have to psych myself up- but I am sure that I will be reading it by this time tomorrow.

Jane- get the tissues - Saving Sprite is such an incredible book- really a must read for anyone who loves a dog, especially a dog that has been rescued. If you need me to send you a copy of The Art of Racing in the Rain- let me know.

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:21:17 pm »
Hey Paige! Water for Elephants is boxed up & ready to stick in the mail to you next time I go to town.

I've been thinking. (Dangerous with me I know.) And I wonder how others would feel about a book exchange? Just a thought.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 10:59:20 pm »
How funny! I just saw this book in Starbucks today and wrote down the title to look it up tonight and put it on my Amazon shopping list ("Saving Sprite" is already on it ;D ).

Also, I finished "Water for Elephants" last weekend. I enjoyed it overall, but I wanted to tell Jacob, the main character, to man up several times throughout it!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 08:06:55 am »
OOH! I love the idea of a book exchange! I'm going to have to add "Saving Sprite" and "water for Elephants" to my list, too. I'm so pleased those of you who are reading "The Art of Racing in the Rain" are enjoying it.

If you like classic literature, I'm reading a book righ now called "March". It's about the father from "Little Women" and what he was going through in the war throughout the time he was separated from his family. It's a Pulitzer Prize winner and so far, it's really good. If anyone wants it when I'm done, I'll send it on.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain