Author Topic: OMG! Too good to be true??? (not completely NDR)  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
OMG! Too good to be true??? (not completely NDR)
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:11:48 pm »
So, after my discouraging experiences applying for a higher level job at Starbucks, I decided, on a whim, to apply for an Operations Manager position at our local Starbucks.

I applied online yesterday through Monster.com and just now I received a call from the store manager to set up an interview for next Tuesday!!

So, Petco isn't my most favorite big-name pet store, but with ME on the inside think how much better I could make it (bwa-ha-ha-ha: evil laugh), plus...

Can you say "employee discount?" Well, I can!

I'm just wondering if their pay would be competitive with my salary right now since this is basically an assistant manager position instead of the "big boss" role I have right now.

Has anyone worked for Petco before?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: OMG! Too good to be true??? (not completely NDR)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:52 pm »
Congrats!  Switching companies like that can be a scarey thing to do, but if you honestly don't feel like you are being given the oportunities to grow and acheive more at Starbucks then I say go for it!  You deserve it!  :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:07:18 pm »
I'm a little worried about the credibility issue. I know Petco. has a great non-profit foundation, but I've read a lot of stuff about them not being very vigilant about making sure the animals in the stores are healthy. I suppose that's an individual store responsibility, and our store has been OK (with the exception of one very long avian quarantine a couple of years ago).

I know there's a lot of room for improvement in customer service and employee knowledge at this store and I really think I could help with that, but I don't want to go into the interview and insult the manager, either.

nervous, nervous, nervous...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:28:58 pm »
Good luck with the interview.

I can't say much about Petco as I work for petsmart...... ...lol.  But when i worked in the pet care dept there were a few employees that came from Petco that did say that the animal care at Petco wasn't the best.  However I had a friend work for them in another state and she never mentioned any issues about it so I also agree it's a store by store basis.

I don't want to burst your bubble but if you do get offered the job and take it, I'm guessing the pay won't be much.  In addition, I wouldn't think to much about changing things as most of the decisions made are out of the employees hands.  I swear i hate working for corporate companies b/c some of the rules make no sense at all, especially when it comes to the care of the animals but there is nothing you can do about it b/c it all comes down to the mighty dollar and how much can be made.  Animal care is way down on the list of importance even though they lead you to believe it's of utmost importance.

Let us know how it turns out.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 08:34:57 pm »
Well, the pay will probably be THE deciding factor. I'm not leaving for less than what I'm getting now, but I figure it's worth exploring anyway.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 08:58:30 am »
It's important to find out how they are set up for increases - i.e. how long will it take you to start getting what you want to get. And as far as the animal care, will it be a position where you could make a difference in that respect, at least for that store? Awesome - good luck! Oh and I totally agree with the statement that you should pursue these things when they come up even if you don't NEED a job change. The lack of "OMG I hate my job and I REALLY need to get this new one" totally comes through in your confidence and presentation at the interview. You are way more in control if you don't NEED the job.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 01:26:07 pm »
I can't help you with Petco from a personal experience but I have a coworker whose girlfriend works for Petco.  She is looking into manager positions at some new stores that are slated to be built in Hawaii.  The Petco that she works at is really nice and from what I can see they do a good job taking care of the animals.  I can see what I can find out for you if you have specific questions about the company in general.  Good luck. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »
Can't tell you about Petco. I can tell you about "retail". I started as a cashier when I was 17, by the time I was 21 I had my own store.

Very easy to move up through the ranks if you apply yourself.

Good luck!

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 07:08:27 pm »
i have worked there as a dog trainer for several of there stores....i hated it, there was a ferret left in the back room with a broken tail for 3 months, because the gm went over in the budget for the vet.  They pay absolute bare minimum even if you are over qualified.  I "capped" off at 8.5 as a team leader, i only got paid $10 per a class for dog training, and i was also a small animal manager too...(capped off at 9.5)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 04:55:43 pm »
well, that is waaaaay less than what I am getting paid now, but I put my salary requirements on my application so we'll see what they have to say.