Author Topic: Not Everyone's a Newbie Who Looks It!!  (Read 11415 times)

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
Not Everyone's a Newbie Who Looks It!!
« on: August 04, 2005, 01:36:09 pm »
I am a newbie to a lot of things concerning dogs. I'll be the first to admit it. I take my puppy to kindergaten classes and to agility classes. why? Because I'm not an expert and can't possibly train him myself. and when he's older, we're going to conformation handling classes. why? b/c I'm a newbie. I've never shown a dog.

BUT, I'm not a newbie to basic dog care or to my breed.

I have a puppy akita and those aren't extremely rare but they definitely aren't "popular" in seattle. Several trainers I've called before enrolling in classes have never taught an akita. 

I just can't stand everyone who automatically becomes an akita expert or a vet, even though they aren't when I go to parks or take my pup on walks.

I'm 5'3", asian, and look as if I'm 19 years old (but I'm a freakin' attorney!! I'm much OLDER) and everyone wants to tell me how to raise my pup and everyone just assumes I'm feeding him kibble n' bits and not training him even though he almost always has his eyes pinned on me and listening to what I'm saying/doing. They all talk down to me and say, well, you should start obedience classes b/c akitas can be mean" and they go into a tirade about the breed's history, what they were used for, etc. as if I just bought my dog off a bum on the street without thorough research. These people have only "read" of akitas, not actually owned one.  This is my second akita, if you count my half breed I rescued. I've been researching akitas and been wanting one for over 5 years now. My friend in Houston breeds and showed akitas so I asked her tons of questions and had tons of exposure to them (I'm no expert, but I certainly know as much as one can from reading and asking people).

People have even said, "are you sure you will be able to handle him? maybe an akita wasn't a good idea. I know they are pretty, but they take a [insert whatever adjective they think I'm not here] owner." Gee, guys, this is my SECOND akita, my FIFTH asian spitz, and I'm not in highschool!! People have even asked me if it was my parents' pup! Or if we take him to the park, everyone has to give me advice about what shots I should give him. They assume that I havent' taken him to a vet. Several women on different occassions have come up to me and said "what kind of dog is that? an akita! oh, I've heard they are aggressive. You should take him to obedience class! Have you taken him to a vet? It's very important that puppies get their shots and you can't just go once, you have to go several times. Well...good luck with him, you're going to need it!" or "How old is your pup? 12 weeks? Has he received his rabies yet? No?! Why not! You are going to kill your dog! He needs to get his rabies. Oh, your vet said he's too young? well, your vet isn't as good as my vet. you shouldn't go to a discount vet." Well, I was told that rabies isn't given untli they are at least 4 months by...everyone! but, I guess you're the expert lady!

Oh, a vet? I was supposed to take him to a vet? really?!? I took him to a vet within 24 hours of picking him up from the breeder. I've already spent hundreds at the vet (mostly due to Seattle's ridiculous inflation rates!) and I've only had him for 4 weeks. I've chipped him, dewormed him, gave him his shots, done fecal exams, wellness exams, etc. I even spent hours and hours researching and calling vets/pet store owners before I got him to find out which vet would be the best for me and my pup.

If you are an expert on akitas, please, by all means, talk to people with akitas, give them information. this type of info is extremely appreciated. but if you have only heard of akitas, or don't have a clue on akitas, please don't assume that you are an expert and start dispensing advice. Also, not everyone is an idiot or as inexperienced as you think they are. Even if I were 19, there are 19 year olds in the show ring who have won! If you're not an expert, don't act like one! (sorry for the rant, I'm just so fed up!)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Not Everyone's a Newbie Who Looks It!!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 01:54:40 pm »
Amen to that, I hate it when people "judge a book by it's cover" towards us as people and our dogs. It is very hard to not tell those people off. Oh day I will, pity the poor soul that ends up being on the receiving end. I only have so much patience though!

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 01:55:46 pm »
How about, "I won't tell you how ugly your dog is if you stop telling me how aggressive my dog is"
or, "aggressive? really? care to test that theory? Then GO AWAY!"
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 01:56:29 pm »
janis...... You have soooo many good points in your post. Okay first I just HAVE to say (not doggy related) GIRL I WISH I HAD A PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE THINKING IM 19 LOL....... More power to you  :D

But I can fully see your point, and even though I do not have an Akita, I have all my life had giant breeds, and it is a bit the same thing, nooooo not the same thing. BUT you have basic dog skills and then you have to learn about that specific breed on top of the basic skills you have, and every dog that is a bit different, a different disposition, a dog that might be more demanding or a giant dog who has very different needs in many areas just because they are so huge. Then you meet people who want to tell you how wrong you are because you feel too low protein or not excersise enough, and they have no idea that if I were to follow their "advice" I would very likely totally mess my dog up health wise.

I once met a person at Petsmart who said ohhhhh is it a bloodhound (Galahad who is an OEM was about 14 or so weeks and had big ears to grow into, still has lol) but he certainly dont look like a bloodhound, when I said no its not he is an oem, they actually proceeded to tell me how I should take care of him.......... :o They didnt even see what breed he was for crying out loud.

There will always be people who think they know everything about a certain breed, becaue they read this article or saw a 5 min. thing on animal planet about the breed. It is frustrating and it makes you aggrevated when people who has never met you before take for granted that you would not know how to take care of your own breed.

BUT you know the saying "when you assume something you make an a.. of u & me"

Ohhhhh and on a side note, I have never heard anyone ever saying it is okay to give a rabies shot before 16 weeks either hehe

marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 01:57:36 pm »
you think we can get Marit to teach us some foreign language? 

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 02:07:22 pm »
yep..... you sure can Lins.

here comes some useful lines

1. SAAAAA DU AR EN ALLVETARE, DA MASTE DU OCKSA HA KANNEDOM OM HUR DUM DU AR.
Soooo you are a know-it-aller, then you must also know just how stupid you are

2. DU TYCKER INTE OM MIN HUND, JAG TYCKER INTE OM DEJ ELLER DIN HUND, HMMMM AR DU SAKER PA ATT DET AR EN HUND?
You dont like my dog, I dont like you or your dog, hmmmm are you sure it is a dog by the way.

3. JAG FOREDRAR MIN HUNDS BAJS, JAG KAN INTE STA UT MED DITT MUN SPY
I prefer my dogs krap, I just cant stand your oral puking

well I am a bit feverish still so hehe I might be able to come up with even more useful lines in a day or so

marit

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 02:12:09 pm »
LMAO those are awesome, I've been trying to think of some in French but I don't think that they will even compare to yours!! ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 02:15:58 pm »
That is way cool!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 02:20:43 pm »
Okay my french is a bit limited to say the least lol..... so I had to work with what I know and the grammer might totally suck too, so dont bite me k?

vous pensez ma formation du besoin de chien? votre chien a besoin de pour former ET d'une restauration.

you think my dog need training? your dog needs training AND a makeover

Marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 02:22:35 pm »
you are too much! 

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 02:23:14 pm »
you think we can get Marit to teach us some foreign language? 
Well, she taught me what a "petterniklas" or whatever was!   ;D

I agree, it is very frustrating when everyone thinks they are an expert...  I used to use a Gentle Leader type head harness on Ranger (until I realized that he would never stop in his efforts to commit suicide in order to get it off), and a neighbor of mine would constantly swear that the Gentle Leader was a muzzle and that Ranger didn't need it.  (Those of you who are a little more familiar with Ranger's history might argue that a muzzle is exactly what he DOES need!   ;D).  Now everytime we see this person, he still says "Oh, he is so much happier now that you took that horrible muzzle off of him!"  Sigh. 

I am totally non-confrontational (at least outwardly - in my head it is a whole other story), so I usually just smile and nod and then throw their comments into my mental trashcan. 

And sometimes I am afraid that I am the idiot person that someone goes home and complains about!  I am no dog expert by any means, but I do know at least the basics, and taught obedience for a couple years.  I try not to give un-solicited advice, but yes, there have been times when I have just HAD to say something to the people dragging the blue-in-the-face puppy wearing the too-small choke chain on upside-down so that it never loosens!

But in general I guess I have found that it is the people who know the least that are most likely to share it with you!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2005, 02:28:52 pm »
YOU'RE RIGHT!  People who know nothing will go to great lengths to proove that they are indeed idiots.   That's sometimes the fun part. 

Do they make muzzles for people?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2005, 02:30:52 pm »
Grumpy..... you are soooooo NOT grumpy lol...... I have the hardest time to bite my tongue when people are being too stupid. And it was funny you should mention the choker collar, I dont know if I have had bad luck or something, but I swear half of all the people I have seen with chokers on their dogs, have them on either upside down or the "wrong way" so the "pulling" is from the wrong side.

AND yep...... I think I tought the most useful word there, petterniklas is one goooood word to know hehe

marit

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2005, 02:32:24 pm »
some of these sentences you taught us might come in handy here at work.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2005, 02:36:04 pm »
some of these sentences you taught us might come in handy here at work.

hehe just let me know if there is anything in particular you need and Ill hook you up with a little sentence. I can help with swedish, french, german and some but that really is SOME italian, and having said that, I really hope we dont have any french, german or italian people here because they will the the laugh of their life when they see the grammer hehe

And Lins...... I think you are on to something, a muzzle for people, hmmmmm come to think about it, didnt hannibal L have one on hehe

Marit