Author Topic: is it normal...  (Read 1747 times)

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
is it normal...
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:54:40 pm »
for peyton to not be eating as much as she normally does? her personality and tempriment (sp) is still the same. happy go lucky. but when she eats it a third of what she used to eat and she runs around between bites. and just leaves the rest of it all day. she doesn't pick on it through out the day. it that normal? or i guess do other mom's have that happen too?
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
Re: is it normal...
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 04:16:12 pm »
Does she have set meal times? Because not doing that used to be my problem -not with Lucca, but with my tiny paw Frida. Back when I used to leave her food out all day and she just ate whenever... then I started feeding her only twice a day -if she didn't eat, I'd pick her plate up- and now she eats most of her food most of the time. With that experience, I have always fed Lucca three meals a day and he eats everything all the time... Anyways, I imagine having one or two days of a less than healthy appetite should be fine -as long as she is drinking water... Some times they just need to regulate themselves? has she been pooping as normal? I'd say wait it out and observe her for a day or so... if she continues to not eat, or becomes lethargic, etc, it would be vet time

Well, she sounds like she'll be fine  :) Please keep us posted
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 06:42:32 pm »
Yep, it's normal. Miles has cut the amount of food he eats too. He used to eat 6 cups a day. Now, he'll eat 4-6. He is still gaining weight though. (about 4 pounds a month)....so I know he is just self regulating. Sounds like that's what Peyton is doing!
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 09:03:44 pm »
thanks guys! yeah, she still weighs "heavy". :) this has been happening for about a week now. she has normal poops (big) and is still her self! so i wasn't too worried about it. i only asked cuz she was starting to leave more in the bowl everyday. so tonight i mixed it with some mango and an old banana from our leftover fruit salad. i only scooped out a 1 1/4 this time and mooshed it all up. she wanted more after that and so i gave her the rest of it (3/4 cup) and she smelled it and said "nope, it doesn't have fruit on it, i ain't eatin it mom" and walked away. (yes she really did say that  ;D ) but then when i "wasn't paying attention" she went back and ate it. sneaky girl!

oh i guess this would be another thread, but who else's dog love tropical fruit? peyton LOVES mango and papaya!!! i am sure she would love grapes too if i didn't know better not to give them to her!!!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.