Author Topic: To crate or not to crate.. advice PLEASE!  (Read 5702 times)

Offline April and Triton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
To crate or not to crate.. advice PLEASE!
« on: May 04, 2008, 03:03:32 pm »
So I posted on the general board about my new little man who will be coming home 8 weeks old on Saturday.. I have a six year old mastiff/mix that I got as a puppy and never used a crate with her. Of course she dug holes in the carpet and ate some walls.. not a grand idea. Anyways, I'm not sure I like the idea of a crate and I planned on just keeping him in an X-Pen when we were away.. however, he has shown himself to be insecure in new environments so I'm sure he will be scared when he first comes home. I know the breeder has been using a crate with him to transport/etc.. basically my question is would it be harmful to NOT use a crate with him and just use the x-pen? Think with him being more insecure he needs a crate to feel safe? I will be picking him up and going on a two and a half hour car ride home with him and was planning on just holding him but may borrow a crate from someone for the ride at least. Any thoughts?  ???

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: To crate or not to crate.. advice PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 03:18:17 pm »
All 4 of mine love the crates! I no longer put them into them, but when they want downtime, they use their crates.
Gives them a safe place that belongs only to them.

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 04:26:20 pm »
When I first got Lucca, before he came home, I was debating whether to crate him or not. I had never crated a dog (Frida was the first dog of my own, and she was too tiny to do any damage, and before that, we had family dogs and there was always someone around). In the end I decided to crate him while I work, and at night -but that was only for a few weeks and now he sleeps wherever he wants... which usually ends up being the crate  ;D He really does like it, and it REALLY helped with potty training. AND crating does give pups some nice manners, in case some day they need to go to the vet and stay for a while in a crate. Already being used to a crate just makes it easier for everyone involved, I hear.
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 04:48:11 pm »
We crate Gunner.  Triton may be better with the crate since it is what he is used to but im sure he will adjust to what ever routine and environment you put him in.  Just be consistent with it.  Gunner was a free roaming boy with his littermates in a whelping box at night and in the yard during the day.   He cried ALOT the first few times he was crated but we just reassured him that he was ok.
Try not to take him out when he cries unless it's time for him to come out. You dont want him associating crying with getting him his way.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:29 am »
Tipper wasn't a puppy when I got him, but using a crate was a lifesaver for us both! It really helped with housetraining and chewing issues. Neither of my dogs use a crate now, but I can't imagine not using one when training a pup or new dog. I think using a crate helps a lot with preventing issues for everyone!  :)

I guess I'm wondering if you know the pup to be more insecure in new environments and that the breeder uses a crate with him now, what would stop you from using one, at least in the beginning?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:14:49 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 08:33:07 am »
We have 4 dogs and have used a crate for all of them as puppies. I usually only crate at night and when we go out, but it is so convenient to crate Sophie (still a puppy) when I can't keep an eye on her or she is harrassing the other dogs too much and needs a little time out.  She will go in the crate on her own once in a while just to relax.
She didn't like the crate at all at first but we treat her every time she goes in or when we put her in and keep toys in there for her.  It also helps a lot with housebreaking.  Congrats on your new puppy! 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat