Author Topic: Fire's first horseshow undersaddle (Long with LOTS OF PICS)  (Read 2539 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
And it didn't go so well...LOL!

Well we took Fire to his first show undersaddle yesterday.  It was rainy and overcast most of the morning so I hoped not too many people would show.  Unfortunately a lot of people came.  I took him the the Green Horse WT class...when I signed up there was only 6 which raised to 10 by the time the class came around.  Well needless to say Fire got a bit overwhelmed by having that many horses in the ring with him.  He was going really good at first but then we got boxed in a bit by a group of horses which rattled him.  I tried to move away from them and he started to build up speed.  Half halts weren't really working and I went to circle when he took off at a canter across the ring to the gate....right after my aunt said to Kim (my cousin) to go sign him up for the next class LOL. I almost did a header into the fence when he suddenly stopped but I somehow stayed on.  Kim got it on video on my mom's digital camera while my aunt was videoing on the video camera...so I have Kim's version below if you want to see it.  The thing that bothered me is that they only called the walk once I reached the gate....very late and they didn't tell the other horses to stop meaning I would've been trampled by the other horses had I fallen off.  And it's not like you couldn't notice Fire flying towards and past you as he shakes the ground LOL. Luckily the horses near the gate stopped on their own and blocked Fire from taking off again.  The judge let me continue the class but he was too worked up when we went back to trot even with me holding him firmly in check and doing a sitting trot that I brought him back to the walk and excused myself from the class.  It was kind of a bummer but it could have been worse. And a few of the other horses blew up in the next class so it was good I quit while I was ahead. So here are the pictures from the day:

Warmup on the lunge since we were out in the open:

Letting him get a look at the ring (he likes to have a person next to him as a security blanket and there were lead liners and a psycho horse warming up so he stayed attached)

With his grandma:

In the class:

The blow up: (now works LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqRG1fEBP5E

After the class:

His after braid fro (I was mean and laughed as he does look funny):

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 05:59:10 pm by chaos270 »
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

lorim2

Re: Fire's first horseshow undersaddle (Long with LOTS OF PICS)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 05:41:18 pm »
Well first off, he is beautiful!  You two look awesome together.  Sorry it didnt go well but you have to start somewhere. It can only get better and easier each time.  I couldnt get the video to work but will try again. 

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:19:08 pm »
He's gorgeous, and you looked great up there, too!  Not a bad start, really.  I love on the video how, right after your aunt said to sign him up for the next class, there's the "Uh oh!  He heard!" ;D ;D

yeah the commentaries on all the video clips they got were pretty funny. They both can be quite entertaining.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:47:39 pm »
Very nice.
I loved his gait.  Very smooth and fluid.