Author Topic: To puppy or not to puppy  (Read 4277 times)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
To puppy or not to puppy
« on: May 07, 2008, 04:50:43 pm »
that is my dilemma.  Okay, need some advice and it has to be pretty quick.  This is going to be long so apologizing now for it.  Background info is that I have been wanting another puppy since Michael moved out - actually before he moved out.  I have been wanting to get a Lab puppy but I put stipulations on it so that I wouldn't get another dog anytime soon.  So my stipulations were that it had to be male and had to be mismarked.  I knew that this would put it in the slim to none odds of ever finding one like this because mismarked labs are pretty rare to see.  Well, a lady I work with breeds labs and she just had a female throw 3 pups that were mismarked.  I was told that she had one male and 2 female pups and that the male was taken but on a whim I emailed her and asked what pups she had left and that I might be interested.  She has 2 males left and it's first come first serve.  Anyway, I'm pretty sure that she is a byb and that there aren't any health certs on the adults or the pups and that was pretty clear by the first come first serve.  I'm in the stage of it was a meant to be thing but the timing could be a lot better but then again I can always come up with reasons for the timing to be better and I have found that there never is a perfect time.  So should I get the puppy or not?  I attached a pic of the boys.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: To puppy or not to puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:25 pm »
I think you came to the wrong place to ask this kind of question :P Of course to PUPPY!!! How can you resist that sweet face on the left or on the right, LOL!
If you have time and money, go for it girl!!! ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 05:03:06 pm »
PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY!!!! Really..who here is going to say no?!  Not me!!! PUPPY PUPPY PUPPY!!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 05:26:28 pm »
I say go for it!

I didn't know labs could be mismarked, other than maybe having too much white on them?  Never seen one with brindle markings though........ .......makes me wonder that if this lady is a brb that there may be something else in the mix?

Not that it matters, they are adorable as all puppies are.  If it is what you are looking for, I say the timing is right.  :)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 06:09:44 pm »
Read the Woodhaven Labs page about mismarked labs, it is very informative, actually their whole website is pretty informative  :D

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/mismarks.html

if this is not allowed please feel free to remove the link

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 06:29:35 pm »
that website was very interesting.
I have seen the yellows with black markings.

the bold black and tans end up looking very houndy.  Narrower muzzles and different earset.

lorim2

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 07:38:18 pm »
AFter reading that website I say go for it!  Those are two adorable little boys and I truly love labs!  I honestly dont ever see myself without a lab. 

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:40:33 am »
Ummmm Hello!!! Puppy!!

So when are you bringing him home? And what is his name?  ;D
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Gemz

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:17:46 am »
take em both!!!!!!  ;D

ok maybe i shouldnt be in here  8)

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 07:42:35 am »
I have to agree with Tina....I you are finding reason not to get puppy....maybe its just not the right time....and when it is the right time you will know! Good Luck!
PS I forbid myself to go to the shelter because i WANT TO BRING THEM ALL HOME!!

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 09:28:25 am »
Get the one on the left, with the little brindle leggings!! Oh, puppies!! (Did you really think anyone here would say you shouldn't??)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:23:11 am »
Puppies are soooo cute, so I want to say Puppy as well!!!   :D ;D

But then my brain reminds me of all the work that is involved with puppies:  the potty training; dealing with the biting/nipping phase; the chewing phase; the I'm housebroked but occasionally have an accident phase.

So, having just adopted out our 6 rescue puppies at 8 weeks of age, I was just reminded that while puppies are adorable, squishy faced, sweeties that just melt your heart, I'm really really glad that I don't have one right now.   :P

LOL that is what I keep telling myself. They are sooo much work. I prefer 7 months and up. Of course I am partial to labs (Harley being one) so I would say go for it, but are you hesitating because it is a puppy? You could always look at Lab rescues?

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

chaosndestruction

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 01:39:46 pm »
omg!!! I'm not a huge lab fan but those mismarks are adorable!!!

If you feel the time is right then go for it!

I think if I ever decide on a lab that I want a  Mosiac mismarked one!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 06:26:08 pm »
I think I have made my decision and I'm really going to regret this but I'm not getting a new puppy.  Unfortunately I really want one of these pups but right now with my work situation having crashed into the sub-basement it's just not the right time. 

Long story short: Last week I was demoted with no warning and for no reason other than I wasn't growing.  I was told I would have to train my replacement and I was told all this 2 days before my replacement started.  My pay wasn't touched but things are needless to say a lot up in the air. 

Thanks for all the advice and enabling.  Hopefully things will settle back down very soon and then I can find the perfect puppy.  However, if anyone is interested in one of these little tykes I would be glad to foster and transport to you.   :)
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 07:11:07 pm »
Dont fret....It sounds like your situations are not the best right now and to wait is probably the best idea for you and your future pup! When the time is right that perfect baby will fall right into your lap!  ;D
Hope things look up for you at work... kinda a crappy situation!  :P
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:11:54 pm by Apreston »