Akitas > Akita Discussions

Akita temperment

(1/5) > >>

coolsocks:
I have an Alaskan Malamute and a Siberian Husky. I'm not ready for another dog at this time, but I've been researching different breeds and have heard mixed things about the Akita temperment. I've only seen Akitas at dog shows and they seem well behaved. The handlers are standing in groups together and the dogs are not lunging at one another. (This is not always the case with malamutes.) So for those that own one, how would you rate their temperment with other dogs (same sex, opposite sex, younger, older, etc...)? Would you conisder them protective of your family? Malamutes and huskies typically are not protective and love just about everyone, but I know the Akita standard calls for them to be loyal to the family and more aloof with strangers.

noahcruzan:
I have got an Akita, he is only 15 weeks now but he seems to love other dogs, especially really big ones.  Also, he started getting protective at about 11 weeks, so by now is already extremly protective.

mgcsold:
The Akita has a good temperment...a round other dogs, children and even other pets....they will protect the family if they feel there is a threat by both animal and human...they are devoted to their family and very loyal....they are calm and collected unless provoked....

this is the standard for the Akita....altho ugh all breeds have stories of bad temperment.... it is all in the breeding and background...r esearch before you buy...if your dog comes form good stock and lineage...you will have a devoted, lovable, teddy bear that will let strangers know he is watching them....

hope this helps...

JCDrennan:
Akitas are generally protective of what they consider "theirs" - which will include their owners, their children, homes, cars, yards, the street in front of the house, areas surrounding the house and any other pets in the home.  Most start showing this protective instinct between 12-24 months.

The Akitas you see at the shows have been socialized and taught not to jump at or on other dogs.  However, if you look closely - you will see that the owners are not letting the dogs get close to each other and are not letting them make eye contact with other dogs.  Akitas are dominant and will try to dominate other dogs when given the chance.  Most "show people" know this and take steps to prevent it.  

Males will get along with females and vice versa.  Do not put 2 males or 2 females together.  They normally will not get along.

b_clark:
This site is pretty good for dog breed overviews - http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/akita.htm
I have found Akitas to be loving, loyal pets to people. I would not allow one to be offleash with other animals, as I have seen them attack and seriously injure other dogs (including dogs they had lived with their whole lives) as well as kill cats! Research them thoroughly before deciding if you want to adopt one, know what you are getting. They can make great pets for the right owner, make certain you are that owner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version