Author Topic: Akita temperment  (Read 41038 times)

Offline coolsocks

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Akita temperment
« on: April 06, 2005, 02:50:26 pm »
I have an Alaskan Malamute and a Siberian Husky. I'm not ready for another dog at this time, but I've been researching different breeds and have heard mixed things about the Akita temperment. I've only seen Akitas at dog shows and they seem well behaved. The handlers are standing in groups together and the dogs are not lunging at one another. (This is not always the case with malamutes.) So for those that own one, how would you rate their temperment with other dogs (same sex, opposite sex, younger, older, etc...)? Would you conisder them protective of your family? Malamutes and huskies typically are not protective and love just about everyone, but I know the Akita standard calls for them to be loyal to the family and more aloof with strangers.

Offline noahcruzan

• Gnawer
  • Brewski sleeping.
    • View Profile
Re: Akita temperment
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 12:18:41 pm »
I have got an Akita, he is only 15 weeks now but he seems to love other dogs, especially really big ones.  Also, he started getting protective at about 11 weeks, so by now is already extremly protective.

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 09:54:45 am »
The Akita has a good temperment...a round other dogs, children and even other pets....they will protect the family if they feel there is a threat by both animal and human...they are devoted to their family and very loyal....they are calm and collected unless provoked....

this is the standard for the Akita....altho ugh all breeds have stories of bad temperment.... it is all in the breeding and background...r esearch before you buy...if your dog comes form good stock and lineage...you will have a devoted, lovable, teddy bear that will let strangers know he is watching them....

hope this helps...
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

JCDrennan

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 03:04:25 pm »
Akitas are generally protective of what they consider "theirs" - which will include their owners, their children, homes, cars, yards, the street in front of the house, areas surrounding the house and any other pets in the home.  Most start showing this protective instinct between 12-24 months.

The Akitas you see at the shows have been socialized and taught not to jump at or on other dogs.  However, if you look closely - you will see that the owners are not letting the dogs get close to each other and are not letting them make eye contact with other dogs.  Akitas are dominant and will try to dominate other dogs when given the chance.  Most "show people" know this and take steps to prevent it.  

Males will get along with females and vice versa.  Do not put 2 males or 2 females together.  They normally will not get along.

Offline b_clark

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 04:20:58 pm »
This site is pretty good for dog breed overviews - http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/akita.htm
I have found Akitas to be loving, loyal pets to people. I would not allow one to be offleash with other animals, as I have seen them attack and seriously injure other dogs (including dogs they had lived with their whole lives) as well as kill cats! Research them thoroughly before deciding if you want to adopt one, know what you are getting. They can make great pets for the right owner, make certain you are that owner.

Offline mgcsold

• Ankle Biter
  • Zachary Thomas 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2005, 05:40:53 pm »
My brother in law has an Akita as well as a beagle, a shepherd mix, 3 cats and a brand new daughter....th eir Akita is very loving, protective but friendly....I have seen this dog in action...when we went to visit and we brought our dog along there were no problems...sam e with when we got together with a group of people to go to the park...again.. .no problems.....

in response to the not letting the dog off leash with other dogs or animals....thi s is true of all dogs....until they have been properly introduced you should never leave your dog off lead with anyone or anything...you never know what the reation will be...as far as Akita's being a dominant dog....you can not classify a whole breed as dominant....on ly individual dogs....it all depends on the breeding...eac h dog can be tempermant tested when they are young....
my dog is my best friend, he listens when no one else will and licks away my tears....you can not lie to your dogs they can see right into your soul, and they will love you no matter what they see there.

Offline oneway

• Gnawer
  • My Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 12:50:02 pm »
My Akita, Kuma, is the sweetest, most affectionate dog.

I rescued him from the street where he was abandoned or escaped when he was about 1 year old. He was covered in oil and muck, had worn off much of the hair on his elbows, and had a chain rusted around his neck tightly with a c-clamp that was impossible to open. I had to cut the chain to get it off him.

I have a cat that he considers one of the family and even grooms and licks on occcasion! However, I am very careful introducing him to other dogs. If another dog snaps at him or acts aggressive, it's all over. I've unfortunately had two occassions where he has seriously hurt another dog. One in the dog run with a great dane about 3x his size (Kuma, at about 110 lbs, could walk underneath him) that snapped at him 3 times before Kuma got really pissed off. Another with a pit-bull who snapped at him while he was on the leash. Both dogs suffered severe sever cuts and tears in their throat.

He is very gentle with friends. However, if you show aggression toward him he will show it back. This is not a dog for enyone. An Akita is the type of dog that you must IMMEDIATELY let know who is the alpha-male (or female) or it will not listen to a thing you want it to. Most importantly, although you must show dominance, Akita's are dogs that you should NEVER HIT. The consequences could be at the very least... painful.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 03:37:07 pm »
I agree with all the cautions with Akitas.  We had "Teddy" for 13 years and the first 5 were okay.  He had been well socialized and trained and was fantastic with my 4 young children.  After the age of  5, however, the protectiveness became frightening.  He would attack ANYBODY he didn't know...UPS man, people walking by, so we had to keep him on a "long line" (like a lunge line for horses ).  If we went out and left the kids home (by then 2 of them were teenagers) we could leave him in the house and KNOW that nobody was coming in.  That said, he would also lift his leg on the interior walls of the house to mark his territory  and this after he had been neutered at 8 months!  He always was good with my kids, but did kill cats, skunks (that was special) and whatever he could get.  I felt so sorry for him..but he just could never be trusted.

He is the reason we now have Newfs....

Offline bigdoglover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 06:22:15 am »
i just want to say that i think akitas are beautiful dogs. i would love to have one but am just too afraid that they will be overly aggressive and i won't be able to have another dog in my home with one. that being said, if i ever moved somewhere i wanted a protective dog i would consider one for myself.

ann

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 04:53:34 pm »
oneway your dog is goodlookin...i'm glad you found him he's very lucky...i have a akita mix his tempermant is very much akita he loves his family and a few select friends of ours but other than that he can't be trusted i'v had him for about 10 years and it has been a challenge  but he did not come from a good place his mother who was a akita was abit aggesive..i have 2 boxers and a cat he is fine with but i did bring the boxers in the home when they were pups i realy don't think he would except a adalt dog...i think a akita would be fine for you if you got one from a good breeder and used possitive training and alot of  social activites with him..but do alot of reseach to make sure it would be a breed for you...good luck..

ann

Offline rpeeples

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Peeples' Homepage
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 09:11:34 pm »
Akitas & other dogs -- that is profoundly variable  Most responsible breeders are breeding out overt aggression but part of being an Akita is being a dominant dog.  That alone can incite trouble with other dogs.  Akitas are also very intolerant of rude dogs (the ones that jump on every dog they see and the owners don't control) and that can cause problems as well.  What I ask of my Akitas is that they initiate NO problems with other dogs.  Expecting them to get along with all other or even most dogs is a bit unrealistic IMO -- not saying it can't happen but should not be the expectation.

Akitas & protectiveness - Akitas have an innate ability to differentiate threat from non-threat.  I have zero doubts that any of my Akitas both those i have had since puppyhood, those I have adopted & my fosters would protect me against perceived threats.  This does mean that intense socialization is needed to help them learn normal from non-normal.  My Akitas are friendly, one is a pet therapy dog, and off-leash reliable.  But do not come into near me if I do not say it is okay.  In general Akitas are more person protective than place protective and, thus, may not be good guard dogs if no one is home,

Rachel Peeples, DVM
Heart of Dixie Akita Rescue
hodakitas.org

Offline Mad Liz

• Gnawer
  • Sadie the Akita
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 07:26:27 am »
My Akita is also a rescued dog.  It is scary how many people take on these beautiful and supremely intelligent dogs without any idea of how to care for them.

Sadie is excellent with people and is about to become a Pets as Therapy dog.  However, other dogs may be a problem and there is no logic in what causes Sadie to take offence.  The other day, a very nice couple with a very nice black labrador asked if they could say hello, and I said yes, although I warned them that Akitas can be unpredictable.  Sadie snapped at the poor Lab's nose.  Ten minutes later she turned completely to slush when we encountered an Akita puppy.  The following day she was introduced for the first time to my best friend's two terriers with no problems, and the following morning she was quite friendly with a golden labrador. 

The owners of the black labrador saw all of these encounters and can't understand what their baby did to offend, and I don't know either. 

Akitas are not a dog for the faint hearted. 
Stercus accidit!

Offline oneway

• Gnawer
  • My Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 07:41:25 am »
Mad Liz,

Sadie is beautiful. It's funny, my Kuma is really wonderfull with some dogs and aggresisive toward others. He typically does not like pit bulls. In general, he is the sweetest, mushiest big teddy bear and will not be aggressive unless he is provoked. However, the leash will always make him a little more moody with other dogs.

Offline Mad Liz

• Gnawer
  • Sadie the Akita
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 08:14:09 am »
Sadie is beautiful.

Thank you.  Kuma looks lovely as well. 

I must admit I love having a dog that looks so stunning.  It is hilarious to see people walk past you, practically drooling!
Stercus accidit!

Offline zimas_mommie

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 12:11:47 am »
I also own a rescued Akita!! My Zima was givin to me by her previous owner because she did not get along with their german shep. Although she got along with their lab???? They rescued her from a pet store! The fact that she got along with the male lab and not the female germ shep we thought she just didnt get along with female dogs. You know the two females under one roof concept lol! I took her to my mothers and Zima was fine around her male dog at first then she just flipped out on him! So Im thinking it will take alot of work and training with her! Ive heard that some are more agressive then others. She is as gental as can be with my 3 children ... who range in the age of 2-8. She is scared of other people but friendly once she gets to know them!
Nicole