Author Topic: THE FAWNS ARE COMING! (NDR)  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
THE FAWNS ARE COMING! (NDR)
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:24:12 am »
As most of you know, I also raise whitetail deer.  Well, our oldest doe, Peaches , is in labor as I type.  She should have at least two fawns.  She has the last trwo years and twins are normal.  And her belly is HUGE.  Poor thing has looked so uncomforable the last few days.  We have a two year old doe who is also pregnant and should be giving birth at any time.  She may have already, we just don't want to go into the pen and spook Peaches.  She may likely have only one.  That is normal for a first birth and her belly isn't nearly as huge as Peaches'.  But she may surprise us.  Peaches' first birth last year were twins and she wasn't as big as our other doe, Nikita, that we had then (RIP Sweet Nikita  :'()

Even though I can't wait, I am not looking forward to the next three months of haed work ahead of me.  I always insist they be brought in the house so they can bond with us and be tame.  They are pets after all.  So my next three months will be occupied with first trying to get them to accept formula from a bottle and then trying to keep up with their appetites.  I'll have feedings every few hours, but they are great bonding experiences.  The long hours pay off when the babies bond with you and start to suck on your ears and make those sweet little baby noises.  I wish all of you could experience that at least once!  It's an amazing feeling.  Then they grow up and you have a big 8 point buck walk up to you looking for petting and hugs.  It's surreal.

As soon as I get home from work today I'll post pictures.  Dang deer ALWAYS have the fawns when I'm at work so I can never watch them be born!!!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: THE FAWNS ARE COMING! (NDR)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:37:06 am »
One was just born 15 minutes after I finished typing the last post!!!

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:11:02 am »
I bet it is adorable!!!
I cant wait to see pictures.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:52:54 am »
How exciting- I hope you'll put pix up!  Last year we had two does, each with a set of twins and they all still come to our field every night!  I didn't know you could have deer as pets, so you know your post has my mind going...  Do you sell them? 
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:31:56 am »
I LOVE fawn's.  A few years ago we were at an ASPCA in VA and they had 2 deer with babies in a pen and they were so tame. The babies would suck on your knuckles and squeak when would try to walk away.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:37:15 am »
Wasn't that squeaking just the custest noise ever?

Julie, I haven't gotten home from work yet, but Jeff is supposed to be sending pics to me...

Binky, we haven't sold any yet, however, I don't think jeff would be opposed to selling...

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:54:04 am »
Oh my gosh!!! HOW EXCITING!!!! I can't WAIT to see pics. I wanna come visit and help you take care of them!!! ;D
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 11:39:08 am »
Congratulation s!
How exciting - I too can not wait to see pics!!!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 12:02:39 pm »
Heck, I can't wait to see pics!  Jeff said he'd email pictures to me but he hasn't yet.  I think he's trying to torture me.  He works from home so I don't want to pest him too much or he'll get annoyed with me.  I guess I'll have to practice a little patience.  Just have to keep telling myself, Patience is a virtue. I can do this...

It's not working.

At least I got to see one of them being born.  granted it was from the house through binoculars, but I saw it.  It was a little gross, but amazing!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 12:03:41 pm by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

angelsmama

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 12:09:07 pm »
aww congrats ;D i've got to pet a little fawn once, she was the cutest little thing :D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: THE FAWNS ARE COMING! (NDR) - UPDATE - PICS
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 03:39:53 pm »
Finally Jeff sent some pictures of the babies!  The lighter one was the one I saw being born this morning.  I have never seen one like the dark one!  He's everybody's favorite so far.  Jeff said he is completely clean, so that darkness isn't dirt.  Believe me - Katie would not be holding a dirty fawn in her white Hollister hoodie.  LOL!  It's just his coloring and he has NO spots.  I can't wait to get home and see them!!  I'll get some more pictures and post them up then.  (The two girls are my beautiful step-daughters  :))
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 04:09:51 pm by Newly Newfed »

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »
Wow, Big Congrats!!! what darlings. I too, never heard of a dark unspotted Fawn... So unique, but i do believe i like the original coloring. they are lovely. Congrats once again, hope mum and fawns are all well.
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:44:11 pm »
wow, how cool!
I take it you have a buck as stud?  Or do you do the artificial insemination?  If you have a buck, does he get nasty during breeding season?  I know reindeer, elk and camels can be that way........... lol.

Love the baby pix.  I, too have never seen such a dark fawn with no spots.  I wonder if he will keep that color?  What are the sexes of them?

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 08:32:23 pm »
lookit what I found out possibly about the dark baby!!!

Melanistic: Melanistic deer are very dark sometimes even black. Melanism results from overproduction of pigment and is less common than albinism. Hunters see dark deer with some frequency but to actually see a Melanistic deer is rare.

Protecting albinos, piebald and melanistic deer from hunting would have no biological impact and probably would not result in an increase of these traits.

By no means are all deer with melanistic traits totally black. Indeed, there's a wide range of shades, with some being quite black and others being more of a dirty brown or dark gray. This has led some biologists to wonder if a single gene controls hair color or if instead multiple genes combine in a variety of ways to display a wide range of forms.
Melanism is easily seen even in fawns, as those with too much pigment are sepia, seal brown or dark gray. Only rarely do they have spots of the sort seen on normally colored fawns; most have only traces of spots or none at all.

If this is what he/she is then BPO has a "rare" hoof baby!!!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 08:45:14 pm by KiraNGunnersmom »
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 09:50:53 pm »
I think that is a melanistic fawn!!! I have only seen one melanistic adult but it looked just like that!!! We have a place here that has whitetails and elk, buffalo you name it. They have a mealanistic buck named "Smokey".

I hate to post a "hunted" pic, but here is one I googled: http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/uploads/black_whitetail.jpg

Thats darker then the one I saw, the one I saw was almost dark sable colored with lighter brown on the legs... sort of like a bay/black horse.

They are FRIGGIN ADORABLE!!! How did you get into raising whitetails? I would LOVE to have a pet deer!!!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters