Author Topic: Anyone feed Raw?  (Read 3223 times)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Anyone feed Raw?
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:32:59 pm »
Just wondering if anyone on here feeds their pups a RAW diet?
We are going to make the switch soon. I need to order some alfalfa and kelp powder. I need to get a scale too. So far the only meat we have frozen is 2 rabbits and a whole deer. Thank you hunters! I need some organ meat too which the hunters took first. The prices are pretty cheap for wild game. Less than 5 for a whole rabbit and the deer was 45 for 9 kilos.
I am pretty excited to try it out and see how they do.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Love Me Forever

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone feed Raw?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:33:02 am »
I fed raw for some time and will feed it to rescue dogs if they are doing really bad when they come in. My one suggestion is to make sure that you have a well rounded supplimentatio n for the diet. The hardest time I had supplimenting was calcium because a dogs requirement is not that of a humans and most companies really dont make a high quality supply except Solid Gold. I dont think that just eating bones is a good way to get calcium.
No more bad teeth, nice coats, no fussy eating. Lots of advantages not too many drawbacks.
Barbara

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:14:57 am »
Besides the bones, muscle meat and organs, the dogs will all be getting Vit C and E, salmon oil, powdered Alfalfa and kelp. Egg shells every other day. I will be giving them Rabbit, Venison, Chicken, Turkey, Lamb and Beef. The veggies will be at a bare minimum. Like when I am making salad I will cut up a small amount of carrots for them. And they will get canned pumpkin.
I am not sure about the fish yet. During the summer DH will probably catch some lake trout for them. I might just buy a salmon steak once a month for them.
So far that is what I came up with for a raw diet.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 09:16:56 pm »
Titan is on raw food...he loves it!!! PLUS...makes him so much healthier...no dog breath..no dog smell....super bright teeth...he is great!

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 10:43:24 am »
I switched from kibble to raw for my kitties. Well one of them, the other isn't converted just yet. :D My older male kitty is in kidney failure and I wanted to put him on the best diet possible for his health. He's doing excellent on it. I buy pre-packed raw since I'm not brave enough to put their diet together myself.