Author Topic: warming up an animal  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
warming up an animal
« on: May 14, 2008, 06:44:48 pm »
Granted it is about the ferrets, but how do you warm up an animal? Can you use a hot water bottel? Warm food? Heating pad? any advise on keeping an animal warm?

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: warming up an animal
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 07:45:55 pm »
Actually you can use all of the above..an animal that is sick or to young to be on it's own but that is not matianing it's own body heat is in danger..

When the kitty we rescued arrived early Monday morning..it was cold..not moving...and it's color was bad..*mouth and tounge was grey..

I wrapped it in a heating pad but found that wasn't fast enough..and a heating pad can get too hot sometimes..So I got some warm forumla in it and wrapped it in a towel and used my hairdryer on high for a few minutes..makin g sure I wasn't burning it..

Right now it is living in a box with a heating pad under the box..in the box is a thin towel and a few stuffies..and is doing fine from what I can tell..

Whatever you use keep an eye on it to be sure it hasn't gone cold or gotten too hot..

The 1st 24 hrs I had the baby I had to turn it so that it wouldn't get cooked on one side..now at least it is moving around freely and the heat is on low..

Good luck and don't beat yourself up too much..even the most careful pet parents get sick pets..

Tricia and the fur  kids

Offline +four+leaf+clover+

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 08:05:27 pm »
I've seen cockatoos with little knitted jumpers on.  You could try that! :D

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 08:26:45 pm »
I found a really great product in the puppy isle at petsmart.It is Petstages--products for puppies.It is one of those things you heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. It has buck wheat in it that heats up. It comes with a really cozy cover.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754626

I hope your baby is feeling better. :-*

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:04:48 pm »
oh that is great! i will definilty get one of those. We are using a small animal heating pad, although the carrier is small  :-\ i am in the middle of cleaning the ferret room..so the other 3 are in the cage right now, but as soon as the room is complete i am going to put this little boy in the bottom of the cage..(it is a ferret nation cage 3 levels) he will be locked in the bottom section so he doest hurt himself.