Author Topic: Question about giving bones?  (Read 1752 times)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Question about giving bones?
« on: May 13, 2008, 06:10:29 pm »
I bought Gunner and Kira each a beef knob bone 2 days ago.
TOday Gunner finished off his, as in ate, the last of his and is now working on Kira's.  She doesnt chew on hers much,  she gets the marrow out and flavor basting off and she's done.
My question is would raw beef bones last longer and be better or just buy the bigger basted ones.  the bones really help when he "needs" to chew and it's a great tool to redirect him when he gets ahold to something he shouldnt be chewing on.
I think I read somewhere that pork bones are bad? 
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Question about giving bones?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:48:00 pm »
Hi,

As long as the bones are raw and not cooked or boiled you should be fine. Cooked or boiled bones tend to splinter easier than a raw bone. I get Beef marrow bones from the butcher and they last quite a while
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 07:10:05 pm »
Thanks.  I think what I have been buying are boiled/cooked bones from petsmart.  Guess I will be putting in a call to the local market for some raw bones for my fur kiddies.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:41:26 pm »
we actually put the bones in the freezer, they last our kids a lot LOT longer. The marrow is frozen so it takes a long time to defrost!!!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:44 pm »
Turkey necks and backs are good for them too. Same as chicken but those would probably be gone in one bite for your pups.
Just remember RAW and not cooked.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 09:09:58 am »
If you have a friendly neighborhood butcher shop, you can ask for their 'sawdust'. Before ours sold out to a caterer I used to regularly get a big box of the leftovers from the meat saws. They often included trimmings as well as the 'dust'. I would form this into meatballs and freeze them. Give as a summer treat or add a little hot water and mix into their kibble. Great for a teething puppy and no worries about biting off too big a bone piece for digestion. Nice balance of meat, bone and fat and best of all it was free 'cause it wasn't something they could sell, like soupbones. Wonderful, 'cheap', supplement, especially in this time of rising food prices. Human grade so you don't have to be concerned about the 'source'. :)
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"