Author Topic: Introducing new members to the family  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Nicholeigh

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Introducing new members to the family
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:29 am »
Hello,
I lost my black cat not to long ago.  I decided that it was time to get a new kitten. Long story short I am bringing home 2 seven week old brothers from the shelter today!   ;D
Anywho, I need some tips on introducing them to my two boys. Rosco (9 yr old Rottie) and Bo (~2 yr old Mal).  Bo loves cats but tends to play kind of rough. Rosco thinks cats are for chasing and eating.  :-\ At one time (before he came to live with me) Rosco was used to being around cats but it's been a long time.  Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks!!
Nichole

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing new members to the family
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 10:09:17 pm »
There is another post that covers this very topic, and of cousrs I can't find it!!!  I would keep the kittens in a place where the dogs don't have access for a little while.  The dogs will know they're there though!!  Do Rosco and Bo know the "leave it" command?  You could use that in regards to the cats.  Really, they will work it out amongst themselves.  Just make sure the cats have a safe place where the dogs can't get to them.  My only concern is the cats being so young and Rosco possibly thinking they are a snack.  I've heard of people even putting the cats in a crate in the living room for maybe an hour or two so that the dogs can see/smell them but not harm them.  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Nicholeigh

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:37:25 am »
Leave it works for Bo. Rosco is has not had any training yet. I am definitely trying the cats in the crate. I am letting one dog in at a time for short periods of time. Boy oh boy are they interested in those kittens. The kitties don't seem to thrilled but they boys are all about smelling them and they seem to be happy and not looking at them like they are snacks.  We are going to be doing this in baby steps.... very tiny baby steps. Lol 
Thanks!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:39:42 pm »
Good luck with the intro's and welcome to the board.  I'm Alex and my two are listed in my signature.  :)

I'm sure we would all love to see some pics of your crew (kitties too!).
My Sponsership page for my very first race!