Author Topic: Rash - Help!!!  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Rash - Help!!!
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:55:37 pm »
I posted this to the wrong place, so I'm trying again ... my apologies ... I'm still kinda new ...

Okay, Ozzy has a very strang rash on the top inside of his hind leg ... he's even limping due to it, but otherwise seems his happy puppy self.  The vet suggested bathing him in a skin formula shampoo and having him come in to be seen on Tuesday afternoon!  Is there anything I can do to help relieve this rash for the poor guy?  He's also got a nasty scab under his chin that we've been watching for two days and putting bacitracian on.  I was wondering if he might have an alergic reaction to the fluffy bed blanket we put in his kennel (so that came out today) ... I welcome ALL advice ... poor puppy ...

Again, just to clarify, he's eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, and playing like nothing's wrong ...

Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: Rash - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 07:29:27 pm »
Did your vet venture a guess as to what it was? Did they take any skin scrapings to look at under a microscope? Did it start in smaller areas and spread, or did it just appear like it is? If the topical treatment isn't doing anything at all, I'd go back and request a more thorough exam. Maybe even a different vet, if you're not satisfied. Many BPOers have had experiences with vets that, while they liked the vet okay, wasn't the best vet. Right, Sierra's mom??  ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 04:14:14 am »
Thanks everyone!!!  Yes, the first thing I did was take away the acrylic fur blanket that we had on the bottom of his crate!  I'm going to Petco today for a good skin shampoo for him and something for his crate made with natural fibers.  The rash is small, about the size of the heel of my hand, it's bumpy, but not red.  Ozzy isn't really paying much attention to it (no licking, etc.) and has no problem when I touch it.  He's limping MUCH less this morning (I probable woulnd't even notice a limp if I was scrutinizing his every step!!!  Not sure if the limping/rash are related.  My husband thinks he landed wrong hopping off our bed yesterday morning and that may be causing the limping ... the rash may be something I just noticed while examining the leg carefully.  Anyway, I'll try the shampoo, keep a close eye on this baby all weekend and see the vet on Tuesday if it's not totally cleared up ... But this morning he's definitely his BOUNCY PUPPY self, phew ...

THANKS!!!
Lacey ... caregiver to:

jesday

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:45:03 am »
Hi, I'm new also, not only to this site but to message boards in general. Hopefully will get up to speed soon.

Anyway, not to undermine any vet advice, but our Newfie pup, Sophie had a rash sounding similar to what you describe. Turns out it was a staff infection. A round or oral antibiotics combined with dermatological spray to the infected area and it cleared up in two days. She loved the spray as it must have felt so relieving. She'd lie on her back and spread her legs the little hussy.

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:57:51 am »
Thanks and Welcome!!!  Your bubs are adorable!!!  I will definitely have the vet check for any possibility!  The rash seems no different now than it did on Friday ... we did an Oatmeal bath on Saturday night (followed by a complete bathroom cleaning) which was too cute, at first Ozzy had NO idea what a bath was, but within a moment or two he was totally comfortable and laying down in the water!  His limping was almost gone on Saturday, but back again on Sunday ... so the vet trip is definitely still a go.  Of course, he's doing all his other puppy things so I know he's gonna be okay!!!

Lacey ... caregiver to:

jesday

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:14:16 pm »
How old is Ozzy? Again, I'm sure your vet will think of all this, but on the subject of his limp, Syrus, our male developed a slight limp on his right front shoulder side. The kind of thing where you stare and wonder, "is he limping?" Kind of yes, then no, then yes definitely. The vet took an X-ray and discovered a gap in his shoulder where the growth plate hadn't filled in. Common with giant breeds where the body just doesn't grow uniformly that first year. 4 weeks later and another X-ray shows the gap closing but not all the way. Next step, possible surgery where they will put pins in his shoulder to stablize it.

I don't know if this can happen on the rear legs. Hope all turns out well for Ozzy and perhaps he just bumped it and gave himself a good bruise.

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 11:39:20 am »
Thanks for the info on pano, the funny thing is, my first instinct was, "I wonder if it's growing pains", only from raising two teenage boys!  I will definitely bring this up with the vet, we're going in on Friday morning for evaluation/Xrays, etc. 

Ozzy is still limping on and off (mostly off, phew) but is definitely using his leg more during playtime.  I think the rash was only noticed as I was inspecting the leg with a fine tooth comb, oatmeal shampoo seems to have helped the rash immensly and he is not licking the area at all!

Just love this big old bear and hate to see the little limp!!!
Lacey ... caregiver to: