Author Topic: Barking  (Read 8623 times)

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
  • Noah and Jazzy. Jazzy is a rescue.
    • View Profile
Barking
« on: May 18, 2008, 07:05:19 am »
  We have two Great Pyrs. a year old last April, Noah and Jasmine (Jazzy for short).  We are having a terrible time with their barking.  Now I understand that all dogs bark and Pyrs are notorious for barking, but I think our two take it to the extreme. 

I work out of my home - I'm a court reporter - and when our home phone or office phone rings, both Jazzy and Noah go absolutely nuts barking.  I have to answer my business line even though they're barking because I can't miss the call.

They also bark at a bird chirping, school bus, cars with a big engine, kids walking by, adults walking dogs, squirrels, even a leaf falling!

We need help before we lose our minds.  I would appreciate your input.  I know there's a wealth of information out there that I can tap into, and I'm desparate.  Please HELP!!
I'm a first-time Great Pyrenees owner. Noah was purchased from a Breeder in Northern Wisconsin when he was 8 wks old. Jasmine was purchased from Indianapolis Great Pyr Rescue at 8 mos. We took Noah with us and he personally picked out Jasmine. It was love at first sight and remains that way to this.

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Re: Barking
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 01:51:54 pm »
When we first brought Raja home, we had this problem.  While cared for physically, she had been rather neglected emotionally.  She would bark at anything and everything non-stop (I can so relate to your post - been there!). After four days (and many ibuprofens later) we broke down and purchased a Citronella Barking Collar.  It worked like a charm for her and got us through the rough spots (when everything was so new to her).  We never left it on non-stop (dogs do have reasons to bark), but used it during her problem periods while teaching her the word "quiet."  After about 2-3 months her barking was under control. 

We did break it out a bit this spring as she was getting adjusted to having our neighbors out in their yards again.

The downside is that it doesn't work for all dogs, or so I've heard.  A co-worker used it on both of his dogs, and while it worked like a charm for one, he believed that his other dog actually liked it.  I've also heard that some brands are rather cheaply made and thus either not effective or prone to breaking.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »
I agree  Pyrs are notorious for their barking but they CAN be trained to bark appropriately and the phone ringing is not appropriate :)  I have 9 currently and people coming to my house all remark on how quiet they are  I teach them early on that to alert is OK, to bark non stop is NOT.  They know the meaning of quiet and I also bring them in at night.  A squirt bottle and a little time to teach them but you have to be consistent or it won't work.  The citronella collar works if used properly but as noted it is OK for them to bark to alert.  Most collars you can set to spray only after so many barks. 

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 06:15:34 pm »
Hi there,
Our Pyr used to bark at EVERYTHING! We got a citronella collar and it helped tremendously!! When he barks for the sake of it ie: not out of fear or alert but at the kids on the street biking, the leaves falling out of the trees, the wind etc... LOL then the spray seems to stop him. If someone drives in the driveway and he doesn't know the car, he will "take the hit" of the spray and empty the whole cannister and then keep barking - Which is cool in a way because it shows me he knows when he is barking for a reason and when he is not. He can't be bothered to take 10 sprays in the face for a leaf, or neighbour outside but will still protect his property regardless.

* if you try it out I suggest the scentless. Works the same for us and Marley's coat isn't as yucky if he gets sprayed.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline pyrenees

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 08:37:19 pm »
This was actually not true of my Great Pyrenees at all. He rarely would bark and talked and groaned at times. That was never an issue, we would get a once in a while woof woof in a deep voice. I actually loved to hear his bark. My sister tried the can with coins in it when her dog obsessively barked and I guess that worked for her. I think it is true those type of things need to be taught early on. I remember telling him hush if he barked for no reason. God Bless him he was the best dog I ever had.

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 06:47:54 pm »
Thank you so much for your advice.  I will certainly look into it and give it a try.

Love your St. Bernard.  Lovely dog.  I had two of them when I was in my early 20s - oh, so many years ago.  I loved them.  Wonderful, wonderful dog!

Michelle
I'm a first-time Great Pyrenees owner. Noah was purchased from a Breeder in Northern Wisconsin when he was 8 wks old. Jasmine was purchased from Indianapolis Great Pyr Rescue at 8 mos. We took Noah with us and he personally picked out Jasmine. It was love at first sight and remains that way to this.

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:50:58 pm »
Hi Patrick:

Thank you for your response.  I have tried the squirt bottle.  Our breeder said Pyrs are not crazy about water and to give a squirt bottle a try.  Noah LOVED it and thought I wanted to play a game.  I will, however, look into the Citronella Bark Collar.  Thanks again.

Michelle

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 06:55:45 pm »
Hi Carolyn:

Thanks so much for your response.  Before I go any further, I have to tell you I was born and raised (until the age of 8) in London, Ontario.  We moved to the States but have so many relatives there that we're still back and forth a great deal.

I'm so pleased that you can relate to my problem.  I do want them to bark when there's something out there out of the ordinary, but the leaves, wind, kids riding on the street, phone, etc., is a bit much.  I will try the Citronella collar unscented.  Would I get that at any pet food store?  I've never looked for one before.

Thanks again for your help!

Michelle

Toledo, OH

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 06:57:01 pm »
Carolyn:

I forgot to mention what a lovely Pyr Marley is.  You must be thrilled.  This is the first time for Great Pyrenees and we're really enjoying Noah and Jazzy.  They're very entertaining!

Michelle

toledo, Oh

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »
Hi:

Thanks so much for your reply.  I'll try out the can with coins in it like your sister did.

It sounds as though you've lost your Pyr.  I'm so very sorry to hear this.  When you lose a pet, they seem to take a bit of your heart with them and it's so hard.  I hope you have found peace and found memories now without the heart ache.

I've attached a picture of my beauties.

Michelle
Toledo, Oh

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 07:05:40 pm »
Hi Tobysmom:

I mentioned to another person who responded to my plight that when using the squirt bottle, Noah thought it was a game and he loved it.  I sure wish it had worked for me.  The trainer told me to try Listerine (gold colored one only) and that didn't work either.  It slowed him down a bit, but he still thought it was a fun game.

Thanks so much for your advice.  It is most appreciated.  By the way, Toby is quite a handsome boy!  Wow, aren't Pyrs just beautiful????

Michelle

Toledo, OH