Mountain Dogs > Bernese Mountain Dog Discussions

Cooper's Traumatizing Petco Visit

(1/3) > >>

Mainebernese:
Yesterday we took an hour drive and brought Cooper to play with our friend's Lab.  While in the area, we decided to first stop at Petco and pick up some food and a toy for Cooper.  Now, Cooper has never been in a store before, so I already knew the automatic doors were going to be an adventure.  To my surprise, he flew right through the doors without a care.  However, as soon as all four paws were on the tile floor he pretty much went spread eagle and flopped down.  Our poor Berner couldn't even stand up without sliding around like he was on ice.  I felt horrible.  Right away I figured it was probably the fur in between his pads (we have never trimmed it, because it has never bothered him).  So, Cooper (shaking and very timid) and I sat down on the floor of the entrance of Petco while my husband went to grab the food and toy.   Eventually Cooper got up enough courage and skated back over to the front door (we had attempted to pick him up, but he is now way too heavy for me to lift at 70lbs).  As soon as we were back outside, he was back to happy go lucky pup, running around, visiting people and dogs.   

As soon as we got to our friend's house we went inside (Cooper had never been in the house before)...we made it to the entry rug, but Cooper wouldn't budge, right off the mat was their kitchen laminate flooring that was flat and shiny.  He was scared to death of that floor.  After treat after treat and 3 big pushes, he finally made it onto the floor and was fine walking then.  But now I have a pup that is petrified of smooth tile flooring. 

We start obedience classes this Tuesday....I hope they can help me with his tile floor fear (and let's hope they don't have tile floor there!) ;)

Scootergirl:
Oh, poor Cooper (I'm trying not to laugh at the image). I saw an episode of the Dog Whisperer once where he treated a Great Dane who had the same fear. Just don't let your anxiety about his reaction predetermine his reaction. Walk through those doors with confidence and it should transfer to him - even if you have to go in and out several times before he takes more than 2 steps inside.

BandRsMom:
Awwe, the poor baby!  You should have directed him to the treat bar... I bet he would have instantly figured out how to walk.. lol ;)

There's always next time.

kathryn:
Cinder did pretty much the same thing when we got her and took her to Petsmart.  She was raised on a horse farm so had never been in a store, on leash, or on tile.  It was an interesting trip but lots of praise and treats and she was good with everything.  The automatic doors really spooked her though.

Mainebernese:
Phew....I thought Cooper was a one and only with this situation.  Next time I will definitely remember to keep his favorite treats on me when we go anywhere with tile flooring!  Thanks everyone! ;D 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version