Author Topic: Worried about Sammy- GI blockage??  (Read 5863 times)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Worried about Sammy- GI blockage??
« on: May 19, 2008, 08:24:18 am »
Sammy is sick! He's at the vet right now for x-rays, because, long story short, he might have a blockage in his GI tract. A few days ago, my mom got him a brand-new peanut butter flavored nylabone, and gave it to him before leaving for work. When she came home, it was GONE. He'd been in his large crate, so no question about it- he ate the whole thing. Yipes. So of course, he had diarrhea for the next couple days, but I thought that would be the extent of things.

Well, for the last two days, he has refused to eat, which is NOT like Sammy AT ALL. He's also been pretty low-energy, and I am so worried about him. So the vet is checking to see if the nylabone caused a blockage, and if it did, she'll have to operate to pull it out. Poor boy! He is already scheduled to be neutered on friday, so this may be a big week for him, surgery-wise.

I am so worried about him! Has anyone else had a dog eat a nylabone? Or had a dog who had to have a blockage removed? I guess I won't be giving him any more nylabones- he has one unflavored one that he has chewed on here and there for months- I guess he just really loved the peanut-butter flavor, and it didn't even occur to me or my mom that he might EAT the whole thing. Poor little dude.

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Worried about Sammy- GI blockage??
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:56:23 am »
Awww. Poor Sammy. I'm sorry to hear that! I would be a nervous wreck. I have never had something like this happen personally, but I have heard of it happening. How big was the Nylabone? If there is a blockage, he is in the right place!! Sending thoughts and prayers your way! Keep us updated. :-* :-* :-*
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:09:54 am »
Ah. Poor Baby! Poor you. You must be worried sick.

My Joey (St/Collie/Wolf/X) had a blockage not once, but twice. He had a fetish for rocks, unfortunately. He swallowed them - both of which were around 2/3 the size of a golf ball. They became lodged in his small intestine requiring surgery both times. X-Rays disclosed the culprit and removal of part of the intestine was required each time. Once at 5 yrs of age and again at 7 yrs of age. Lucky for him, he did not do it again, but he was under my watch 24/7 and lived a happy, healthy life to the age of 14 1/2.

I hope he doesn't have to go through surgery, but if he does the prognosis should be good. I'll be thinking of you and Sammy. Don't you or your Mom be hard on yourselves. These things happen.

Fingers, toes, and paws are crossed here that there will be an easy fix & Sammy's back to his usual sweet self soon. Please give updates.

Hugs!
Jane

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:15:53 am »
Thanks for the kind words! I haven't heard from the vet yet...  but doing a little research online, I don't think nylabone makes a peanut-flavored bone except for an edible one. So I'm hoping maybe that's what my mom got, in which case maybe the stomach upset is just that his stomach didn't like the bone, rather than a blockage!

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 05:39:29 am »
How did Sammy's vet visit turn out?  Is he feeling any better???   ???
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 05:48:23 am »
good news! he does not have a blockage. He's starting to feel a bit better, I'd say- his energy is back, but he still has  bad diarrhea, poor guy. The vet has him on special canned food for a couple days, and I added a  bit of pumpkin to it yesterday. I hope he's really better soon!

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 06:24:08 am »
That is great to hear that there is no blockage!  :)  I hope he starts feeling better soon :)
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat