Author Topic: Guess the breed?? Yea right, good luck!  (Read 10983 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Guess the breed?? Yea right, good luck!
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:47:45 am »
OK, so I found my new favorite thing to do. You know how they have come out with the genetic tests now to determine the exact mix of your dogs breeds? Its awesome! Well, if the test wasn't cool enough, you can go on their website and see the gallery of dogs that they have tested, and the mix results they got back. I spent about two or three hours last night going through some of them and trying to guess the breeds before I read the results. Thought I would give you guys a shot at some of the toughies :D :D

Here's how it works. Look at the name and the pic, guess the breed and write it down on a sheet of paper (or remember if you have a good memory but I put quite a few on here) then scroll down to the very bottom and start reading the results of the genetic screening. I always thought I was pretty good at picking dog breeds out of rescues... let me tell you, I got all of these wrong!!! so good luck!! :D

HARLEY

SPARKY

ZEKE

VENUS

MOLLY

EMMIE

TONY

NEMO

RANGER

FOXIE

SAMMIE

DASH

LUCY

SASHA

JACK

PATTY

PINTA

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

Ready? Dominate breed is listed first.

HARLEY: Clumber Spaniel, German Shepherd, Lab, Sheltie

SPARKY: American Staffordshire Terrier, Bloodhound, Collie

ZEKE: Brittany, Dalmation, Norwegian elkhound

VENUS: American Staffordshire Terrier, Bull Terrier, Mastiff, Rottweiler, Curly-coated retriever

MOLLY- Rottweiler, Chinese shar pei

EMMIE- Vizsla, boston terrier, keeshond

TONY- American Eskimo, JRT

NEMO- Dalmation, Golden Retriever, Newfoundland

RANGER: Rottweiler, chinese crested (!!)

FOXIE: Irish Wolfhound, Chihuahua, Minature Poodle, Sheltie

SAMMIE: Alaskan Malamute, Golden Retriever, Rottweiler, Weimaraner

DASH- Japenese Chin, Nova Scorita Duck Tolling Retriever

LUCY- Dachshund, Shiba Inu

SASHA- Chow, Mastiff, Scottish Deerhound

JACK- Chow, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen

PATTY- Akita, American Staffordshire Terrier, Border Terrier, Boxer, Manchester Terrier

PINTA- Dalmation, Saint Bernard, Siberian husky, Basset Hound

And there were so many more. The best part is how many dogs had the dominate breeds of Amstaff, APBT, bull terrier etc, and didnt look ANYTHING like the sterotypical breeds. And all the dogs that LOOKED like bully breeds that weren't!!! Someone needs to send this to all the breed ban enthusiasts!

So, how did you do ???  ;D

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: Guess the breed?? Yea right, good luck!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:56:47 am »
I was recently told that the tests come back in a pie chart format, so you can go by the 2 or 3 biggest slices. I am terrible at guessing breeds, so I didn't bother to guess, but I was shocked that the first pup wasn't rott!! And the rott/crested is a hoot! I'd LOVE to get my dogs tested. I think I may...I'll certainly let you guys know if I do.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 12:06:32 pm »
Well im not good at guessing breeds this sure shows that. I would like to know what Brooklily is a mix of, definately different Bulldogs mixed 2gether , but whats the mix?. also that little dog foxy with the red collar might be the funniest  cutest little thing eva.  ( thats boston for  "ever" lol ). I wonder if they really do the test or if its a scam. Please anyone who has had it done to thier own dog let us know!
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 04:18:07 pm »
I too am not convinced by these test results....... .....even more so with the mixes mentioned.

I too was wondering if it breaks them down.  Say if you sent in a great dane's DNA........wha t would it come back as?

I have some serious doubts about some of these results.  Some of the colors that are in the dog's pix are simply not possible mixing the two suggested breeds together.

For instance Tony:  american eskimo and JRT.  An all tan dog?  With ears way too big for it's head?

And Sparky, who looks like a small dog, is a mix of a amstaff, bloodhound and collie?  Which one of those breeds gave it the size of a JRT?

And Pinta.  Gorgeous dog.  And I suppose mixing those breeds together could produce a merle dog but none of them by themselves come in the merle coloring.

And Lucy.......... how do you get a white dog when mixing a dachshund with a shiba inu?  and why does it look like a maltese?

I also agree that some of these breeds are awefully rare to be running around mating with random dogs.  Besides the mentioned nova scotia duck tolling retriever, you don't see too many clumber spaniels running around either.  Or PBGV's.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 09:02:57 pm »
Hey Caretoadopt... give us the web site  I want to ck this out..

I din't get even one correct..

I don't know much about testing for breed but Falkor went thru a DNA test before I got him..because it seems the breeder"s daughter came to visit with her male at the time she was breeding Falkor's mom and got in with her and they had them all tested to see which of the pups were the breeding they had planned or not planned..As it turned out the *not planned* one was daddy to all the pups..

Figures..
but Falkor being what he is I am very happy with the results..of course I was not the breeder.. ;D
Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:21:27 pm »

I think with the whole rare breeds thing is to remember that the dogs are probably products of generations of mutts. The genetic test can only pull out the breeds it recognizes, and then it shows which ones are more dominate. So Lucy has more dachshund in her then anything else, but she probably also has a ton of un identifiable breeds all mingled in together to help her look the way she does. Same thing with the tiny irish wolfhound mix. And the vizsla mix that looks like a little schnauzer mix.

So, lets say for example you have a golden retriever who gets impregnanted by some random mutt with 200 different breeds in it's lineage, then the puppies would be dominate golden retriever, but they could also come up with some breed 20 generations back on the fathers side, like Chinese Crested. It doesnt mean that the golden bred with a chinese crested, it just means that was one of the breeds they were actually able to identify. Most mutts aren't 50% this, and 50% that, they are a melting pot of breeds and types. The whole thing should really be taken with a grain of salt.

Also- I had a great dane come in once, to the rescue, pregnant. When she gave birth, a volunteer kept the puppy. The puppy grew up to weigh 15 LBS and looked just like a wire hair Jack Russel, except chocolate colored. Confused the HECK out of us, and if I hadn't seen the mother give birth, I never would have believed it.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters