Author Topic: Pup being abused, What can I do?  (Read 3323 times)

Lyn

Pup being abused, What can I do?
« on: May 23, 2008, 07:35:28 am »
To make a really long story short... On Monday we got a call from my SIL asking if we could take a 4 month old Saint puppy. It belongs to a friend of hers. She called my SIL asking if we would take her because it was being abused by the child. Of course we said yes. My SIL met us at this persons house.

So we get there and we find out the child was trying to poison the puppy. She caught him before he put the bowl on the floor. OMG! The pup was also limping on and off on her front right leg because the child had kicked her.

As we sat there we also witnessed the owner hit her.. hard enough to echo through the kitchen because she nipped her on the chin. It was insane and I was so glad to be getting that pup out of there! OR so I thought. As we got up to leave she changed her mind and wouldn't let us leave with the puppy. :'(

So as soon as we got home we contacted the SPCA and made a report of everything that happened and was said and they were out there on Tuesday but because the puppy was in good physical condition he didn't take her. :'( She lied and said none of it ever happened and we just wanted to take her dog and that while we were there my hubby abused the dog not her. ??? Yeah ok that makes alot of sense.

We also contacted the OPP and they said they can't do anything about the puppy.. that's the SPCA's job.. and apparently they are useless.  :'(

I just can't leave that puppy there. I litterally feel sick that she just lied and got away with it that easy. Meanwhile there are 4 people including myself that witnessed HER abuse the pup and heard her say that the child abuses and tried to poison the puppy.

I don't know what else to do? I need help! Is there anything else I can do? Anything?

marypyrs

Re: Pup being abused, What can I do?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:47:30 am »
Do you have a Saint Club/Rescue in the area? Maybe they would have a brain storm of how to get the Pup out of there safely.

How about offering to "pay" for the little guy? Sounds as though these people aren't playing with a full deck.  >:(

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 07:52:51 am »
Child services were there. The SPCA notified them because the child was in a 'substance'. The SPCA investigator wouldn't tell us what substance just that she said it wasn't poison and that we were lying. Child services apparently told her to charge us with filing false statements.

We did try to offer her money and now she's saying we are blackmailing/bribing her.  ::)

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:57:34 am »
GURRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! >:(  >:(  >:(

PS: I was THRILLED to find a person who works at the super great Doggie Dude Ranch where Rainbow and Whisper are boarded when I have to go away who is ready and willing to foster another Saint should the need arise. She has 2 Sts aleady, one of which is an older Rescue. (Another Foster Failure. :-\  :))

I know there's been an overload of SB's lately so I was tickled pink.

Wonder if someone can get in there for pics and/or video.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 08:01:42 am »
Nothing has been done at all as far as we know which is so frustrating. Why have a humane society if they won't do anything? Obviously she isn't going to tell the truth.. but that ok.. He said next time yes next time if anything happens to the puppy she will be charged with animal cruelty. Next time the puppy could be dead.

My SIL did call him and he never bothered to take her statement. He just kept saying there is nothing he can do.

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 08:14:02 am »
There's a kind of similar situation going on with a Pyr Girl up here. Sad! The Male has been rescued because he was found running loose quite a ways away. The "man" of the house found out he was is Rescue and wanted him back. He was mad as H*** that the dog had been neutered. (He wanted to breed with him. You know. $ $ $ $ In his mind.

I did a home check and it was atrocious! They still have a female who is in extreemly poor condition, but hands are tied on this end. I have a horrible gut feeling that something bad is going to happen to her.

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:18:15 am »
Any chance of getting the breeder involved? Many breeders now insist on co-ownership in order to have a legal say in what happens to their pups. Good things and bad things about that IMHO, but, in this case it would maybe work to get the poor baby out of that situation. Barring that, maybe a 'heads up' to their vet? Unfortunately, sooner or later she's going to need medical attention and if the staff know to be on the alert for abuse when she comes in they can then make a formal report to the authorities. Or, my preference, put together a commando unit and wait til the baby is left outside unattended (and it will be) and liberate the PPOW(puppy prisoner of war). Immediately smuggle it out of the province, BP'ers will help, wont you?, and find it a good home.
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:01:15 am »
I just heard this week of a situation where people called - wrote - called - and called some more to the point that "they" HAD TO PAY ATTENTION!

Do you have a phone # or email address for the area SPCA or AC? May not help. But sure as heck might make them uncomfortable enough that they'll pay attention.

jesday

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 02:10:24 pm »
I know you are doing all that you can do. And I agree with everyone that perhaps be the squeaky wheel. You have a lot of credibility on your side as far as who is lying. You've got witnesses and the fact that you showed up in the first place. You did not know this person. You were contacted and asked. The idea that you just wanted to take her dog is dead in the water because you were not aware she had a dog until you were asked to take it.

Same goes for false filings with CPS. You have a legitimate reason to call so don't let her denial worry you.

I'll never understand why people get dogs who allow this sort of thing. Even more unfortunate is the law considers dogs personal property. Maybe she'll change her mind again. We can only hope.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:22:21 pm »
Unfortunately your idea of abuse and the law's intrepretation of what constitutes abuse are at odds. The cold hard truth- The different agencies hands are tied - just cause you said they tried to poison the dog there is NO proof.  A simple smack to the puppy is not abuse either. And I said so or my friends said so too is not proof of anything.  I am NOT saying you are wrong and I feel bad for the puppy who really is the one suffering but you really have no recourse if the puppy has no obvious evidence of abuse like open wounds or starvation etc etc etc. They are not refusing to help the puppy  they CANNOT legally help based on the evidence- its as simple as that. Sometimes you have to just walk away- this person is now so alienated the puppy is in even more danger. Its not a nice world out there and there are other dogs that need help

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 03:36:22 pm »
My heart just breaks for this puppy and you too ... I think that the suggestions given are wonderful ... contact as many agencies as you can and become enough of a nusance that they eventually do something to get you off their backs!!!  In the meantime, you have my prayers (and Ozzy's too) ... very sad ... everyone hug your furbabies extra tight tonight knowing that you're providing safe, loving homes ... how lucky our puppies are!!!

Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male