Author Topic: Protective Mommy  (Read 14703 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Protective Mommy
« on: August 05, 2005, 01:48:13 pm »
I am a little frustrated - I took Willow out today for a walk where there were a fair amount of people and the types of comments were just incredible.  People even talked about her behind our backs - while they were walking behind us....  Things like:  What kind of dog is that, those legs are way to long for her, her ears are so big she looks like dumbo, what a weird color - she must be some weird mix of dog...etc etc etc
The kicker is - is she isn't even big yet...I can't imagine the comments then....  I guess I was just feeling a little protective - some of the comments weren't very nice.
Tiimmie

lins_saving_grace

Re: Protective Mommy
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
That's really sad. 
1.) we could talk about their kids like that.   Suzzy doesn't look like the man who lives there with her mommy.   Tommy is way too short to be 35. 
or
2.) you can come in here and post some new pictures and have us say aaaaaaaaawwwww wwww ... OMG ... Baby!  you're so cute. 

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 01:52:51 pm »
Oh..Poor Willow! People are suck dummies sometimes. I know that they don't intenetionally mean to be rude but htey are. You should have turned around and said something to them like "She is just a baby! And she is not a wierd mix she is a beautiful Dane." What is wrong with people these days? I hate mean comments too. I am sorry that you had to deal with that but thin of it as special becuase your dog doesn't look like all of the others. That is a good thing!  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 01:54:41 pm »
Oh no!  Sometimes people are so rude!   :(

P.S.--your Willow is super cute!   :)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 02:04:48 pm »
I know - she is such a cute baby and so very sweet.  I hate when people make stupid comments....I wil next time iam going to ask mean questions about their kids and family...  They just talk talk talk thinking we can't hear them.  Then when I said she was a great Dane they were like - why would get a dog so big?  Good Luck?  Just stupid...nobod y ever makes any comments about my poms.
Timmie

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 02:24:12 pm »
 We love Willow.  Jerks like that need to get a life.  I just can not understand how saying something like that does anything for anybody.  If you can't saysomething nice just shut up.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 02:27:57 pm »
We should carry a bunch of socks with us on walks and stuff them in people's mouths' when they open them.   :)  Literally. 

Yeah...it's none of their business why we got our big dogs.  If you'd like an explaination please feel free to stop by the dog house and ask.  If not...stuff a sock in it.
Instead of "Here's your sign"....here's your sock.
Willow is a beautiful baby and I love the colors. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 02:32:17 pm by lins_saving_grace »

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 02:47:13 pm »
I used to think I should just print a run of T-shirts to wear when walking Lucy

She's a female (why do they start by assuming all large dogs are Male?)

She's a Harlequin Great Dane, not a Dalmatian, All Dane

She weighs 115lbs

No she doesn't eat us out of house and home

Her name is Lucy (why does it always take them 4 or 5 questions to get around to asking her name?)

Yes she's friendly (always asked by someone bending over her or getting right up nose to nose)

I used to have the whole 20 or 30 questions memorized and rattle of the answers in order. Oddly they always seemed to get asked in about the same order, it was like reading a script. And the folks talking behind you are nothing on the guy that followed us for about 10 blocks one night and made no attempt to hide LEERING and STARING at Lucy. One of several times walking the dogs nearly became Blood Sport. I have no issue with defending the pups exactly as I would a 2 legged child, "By Any Means Neccessary"
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 02:51:21 pm »
Tell your daddy he's funny, Lucy!   ;D

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 03:00:39 pm »
Awwww you guys are all really great and did make me feel a whole lot better...  I just don't get it....  The only thing they say about my Poms is ohhh look how cute and fluffy - of course this said wile the Poms are trying to rip their fingers off.....
Timmie

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 03:05:27 pm »
I totally understand.  I had a woman say "Is that a Great Dane?" when Sanity was 7 months old, I said yes, and she said "How old is he..... 4 months?"  I said "No he's 7 months" and she says "OMG he's so small, what the h*** is wrong with him?"  I said "Wow you're a total B****, what the h*** is wrong with you?"  By the way Sanity was right where he was supposed to be for growth.  People can just be nasty, and sometimes even though it might not be right, it feels SO good to be nasty right back.

Ang
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 03:13:08 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 03:12:08 pm »
I totally understand.  I had a woman say "Is that a Great Dane?" when Sanity was 7 months old, I said yes, and she said "How old is he..... 4 months?"  I said "No he's 7 months" and she says "OMG he's so small, what the h*** is wrong with him?"  I said "Wow you're a total B****, what the h*** is wrong with you?" 

Ang

Oh, Ang, you are my hero!  Sometimes it DOES feel so good to be bad...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

GR8DAME

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 03:23:43 pm »
Timmie, Those people behind you were jerks. People like that I turn around and say "I'm sorry, were you talking to me, about how ugly you think my dog is?" It's amazing that when you confront people like that how quickly they back down. Then you tell them that he is a great dane puppy, and not a service dog for the hearing impaired and they should really not make those comments unless they intend them to be hurtful when overheard.
I think your baby is beautiful, and they need glasses.
Stella

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 03:26:33 pm »
ha I love all the coments. And williow is beatiful I just love the color of her coat!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 08:07:55 pm »
I have also have a Harlequin and when she was a pup and still at times today we get stupid people that want to make comments.
"Is that a dalmation?"
"no she's a great Danes."
"Oh he's a Great Dane Dalmation mix."
"NO! SHE is a harlequin Great Dane."
"well, lady I think you got jiped cause I've never seen a Great Dane That color"
Or how about when people ask me how much I paid for her and when I tell them "You paid that much for a dog! You must not have anything to do with your money." or "thats so stupid I'd never pay that much for a dog!" I've also had people at a distance talking about Toester and I correct them with an attitude SHE"S A GREAT DANE!! You should see  them when I have all three Danes stuffed in my little Thunderbird. "She got them big *** dogs in that little car. Where do they sleep do you keep them big dogs in your house, your house must stink. I'll never come to you house." Well I'm like you now I'm sick of it and now I just tell people off with a smile.