Author Topic: Protective Mommy  (Read 14705 times)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Protective Mommy
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 09:24:47 pm »
Willow is a cute little booger, but we can't be sure without more pictures :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline daynakb

• Gnawer
  • This is Klaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2005, 11:57:30 pm »
I've dealt with this with human and fur kids.  My niece is "mixed", white, African-American and Hispanic.  I used to have her with me all this time as I babysat while my sister worked.  At Walmart once this woman followed me all over the store, looking from me to my blonde daughter to my little dark niece with this shocked look the whole time.  After 30 aisles of this experience I turned around and said, "I have another at home that's Chinese!"  Probably not the best response and my daughter told me that was mean but what did that lady know and what was it her business?

My Doberman got the most comments from idiots.  Before his ears were clipped I was told that I got robbed because that was a hound dog.  My sister even argued that point with me and I know for a fact she's never even seen a Dobie pup!  I heard how funny looking he was, how his head was too big, plus the usual of people running the other direction when hearing he's a Doberman.  Even though red Dobies are more common these days his color still gets comments.  But when seeing my all black pug the only comment I get is that I should breed him because that's so rare!  The funniest comment I had though was while at the vet one day some lady asked if my 5 yr old min pin was the puppy of my 8 month old Doberman!

And to think, humans are supposed to be at the top of the food chain.  Certainly wasn't brains that got them there . . .

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2005, 02:05:52 pm »
I will for sure take more pics oday...gotmy digital up and running....  I know I am going to have to be tough and just be as mean back.... It is just to funny how people think that they can comment...  I just don't get it..  I would never say anything to anybody unless it was a nice positive comment......
Timmie

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2005, 07:52:13 am »
I wonder why people think that our dogs are fair game for their stupid comments & "advise" because we have big dogs...I don't think I have ever heard anyone make such comments about little dogs...I have had Sammy be accused of being a St. Bernard mix...I get the "Great Pyrenees are always all white" quite alot...I explain that only around 18% of Pyrs keep their color into adulthood though quite alot of Pyr pups are born with color...This is often met with looks of "yeah right lady".

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2005, 07:56:40 am »
Don't you just love that they know more about your dogs than you do.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Kirsten

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 09:24:52 am »
I have a funny story about jsut such a topic...

So my little (big) guy is about 5 months old, recently had a broken leg.  few weeks ago while he still had his cast on i was sitting outside a coffee shop with him, and a very good friend of mine and these 2 guys were staring at us.  now, we are in our early 20's and these guys were in their late 50's or early 60's, which made the situation pretty awkward.  for the longest time we couldn't figure out why they were staring, and this went on for almost half an hour before we realized it was the puppy.  Finally they came over, and this is what they had to say.....

"my friend and i were just wondering if that is a cast on your dogs leg, or a prostetic leg?"

apparently they were orthopedic surgens and had been debating the whole time about whether it was a cast or a prostetic, and how one could make a prostetic leg for a dog and how to make it most comfortable and such.  They were very dissapointed that it was just a cast.....

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 09:46:43 am »
Funny that they were thinking about that. A man here in Nova Scotia was recentley the first man to patent and make prostetic limbs for pooches! He is so far getting great responses from all of his customers and the vets that use them!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 09:58:07 am »
LOL Kirsten that is funny.

Well I always get coments, not on what my dogs look like but what is on there face. We walk both of them with Halti's, other wise they WOULD  be walking us! Well peolple always think that they are mean be cause they have mazzles on. THEY ARE NOT WEARING A MUZZLE!!!! Most people are nice about it, and ask and what a Halti is ect. Well on Friday we took the dogs for there daily walk and we can across a women with her dog, Harley and Dilbert wanted to say hello so we stopped, then she asks us in Dilbert is fixed, I gave her an odd look, seeing as her dog is male. Anyway I said yes they both are. Then she says in a snarky/snobby way, Why are your dogs wearing muzzles? are they mean. I look at her, no they are not wearing muzzles, they are Halti's, it is so that they don't pull when we walk them. Then Dilbert and Harley approached her dog, and her then snarles, barks and tried to bite them! I smiled and pulled my dogs away.
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2005, 10:21:14 am »
Hey Nina, maybe the woman asked if Dilbert was fixed for the same reason that I always have to ask other owners of male dogs. Hutch is neutered, but he does not instantly like an intact male. If he is on his leash and an intact male approaches, he gets himself pretty worked up until he realizes that the other male is not a threat. This has to do with the the hormones emitted from the unaltered male. Many dogs can percieve these hormones as aggresion signals. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound off myself, but alot of times people wonder why I am concerned about whether or not they have an intact male.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2005, 10:46:34 am »
i used to get comments all the time with my 1 1/2 yr old dane. they always asked me why i woiuld get such a big dog with 5 kids. if he sits on them and so forth. i say no he is a great GENTLE GIANT! here is how gentle he was. i say was because i had to put him to sleep due to kidney failure.  ::) look at how vicious he is..wow how can we keep such big dogs *rolls eyes*...he was such a wonderful dog. his name was Goofy because he was just that. the name fit him so well. i loved him so much. i miss him still..he was the runt of the litter and when i got him he has alot of knicks all over him from the other pups using him as a chew toy. we had a pick between him and a pup twice the size as him but my heart when out to him. i knew that he was going to be the last choice for anyone if anyone wanted him. he was so gentle and loving. it killed me to have to decide that the time was here to put him to sleep. i stayed with him till he took his last breath. here is my 1st dane..this is why we get the GIANT breed dogs....

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 10:51:44 am »
I never thought of it that way, between males, acting agressive towards each other.  I think I take forgranted that Dilbert gets along with all dogs, but I should keep in mind, that not all dogs are like that. Thanks for the heads up ;D
I thought it was funny when her dog ended up acting agressive, when she assumed mine would be :)
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline DaneMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2005, 10:55:00 am »
i tried to connect pic but it just wont. have to wait for hubby to come home and then i will show you my baby that i miss to much.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2005, 11:44:31 am »
Well thank you all for the suport and it is nice to know that it hppens to everyone with giant dogs.....I know Willow is a dol and I do not need any approval or praise from anyone on the street - it is just surprising that's all
Timmie

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2005, 11:47:49 am »
you need a tee shirt!!!  "I'm ok...you're not ok!"

Offline Lucysdad

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2005, 01:02:46 pm »
There was one time I didn't mind the Dalmatian comment though,

I'd only had Lucy a few weeks and we were walking down the street one afternoon. Over my shoulder I'm hearing "Pongo Pongo Pongo" and a toddler was running as best she could across her yard at Lucy. We stopped and the little girl ran right up and threw her arms around Lucy's neck. Her mother was clearly terrified of dogs (and said so) and was doing her best not to panic and imprint her fear onto her daughter. There was an older fellow in the background laughing either at his granddaughters joy or his daughters discomfort, I'm not sure. And though Lucy doesn't like to be hugged around the neck by strangers she can be very tolerant of her smallest fans.

And just to show sometimes even dog owners don't know thier own very well,

I got Lucy at 2 and 1/2 and was told by her previous owners "She's not good around kids, you can't have her around small children, and she hates men". It's been 10 years now and I still don't know what the h*ll they were talking about......... .....
Lucy's Dad (Gene)

Outside a Dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a Dog it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx