Author Topic: Dry skin alert! Shampoo & Conditioner Tips!  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Lula The Goofy Newfie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dry skin alert! Shampoo & Conditioner Tips!
« on: May 06, 2008, 12:01:46 pm »
Hello All! I was wondering if anyone could recommend what shampoos, dry shampoos, rinse conditioners, or spray conditioner they use on their Newfoundlands. Our vet currently has recommended that we use 'HyLyt Essential Fatty Acids Shampoo' and a matching spray in conditioner.  We bath her twice a month and use spray conditioner regularly, yet her skin is appearing very dry.

Our vet has never mentioned using a dry shampoo in between washings. Should this be used and if so what kind? Are there any specialty products out there geared to a Newfoundlands beautiful coat? 

Any tips our comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hills — Sir — and the Sundown — and a Dog — large as myself, that my Father bought me.

Emily Dickinson, responding to an acquaintance's question in a letter: "Who are your companions?" She went into reclusion when only 32, preferring her Newfoundland's company to that of humans.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Dry skin alert! Shampoo & Conditioner Tips!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:27:25 pm »
My Lab has dry skin too, she itches until she breaks the skin and licks her feet until she causes hotspots. Yeah not fun. We use Earthbath, they are all natural products and it really works well for her. Here is the website. www.earthbath. com

We also use dermacool for her hotspots and any areas are are itchy. It sooths the spots and heals and prevents her from itching. We also starting adding 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil to her food to help her skin out.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 12:49:12 pm »
Hi,

Food helps too, make sure Lula isn't alergic to something in her food. Pupper allergies manifest in all sorts of ways and dry skin is one of them among a whole bunch of others!!

Newfs love their fishies, I add canned fish (Mackeral, salmon, rarely tuna,) a 10oz can last about a week of adding some into 2 cups of Canidae twice a day to Winslows feedings the Fish oil really helps with the coat and dry skin!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 01:42:29 pm »
I too use fish oils in the food for Kira's skin issues.  The cheapest is canned salmon or sardines.  I have also used salmon oil additive you buy at the pet stores, but that can be expensive.
Good luck.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 02:48:56 pm »
we bathe titan once a week (granted we are showing everyweek) but he doesn't have dry skin or anything. Try using a TTO shampoo (tea tree oil) or an oatmeal based.  We actually use a degreaser on him once every two weeks, and then use an oatmeal shampoo...plus a conditioner every time.  He does not shed a lot, he has little to no dander coming off.....and he is soft as can be. Then after he is dry before brushing him we use a leave in conditioner, get it straight gel, and then cowboy magic detangler and conditioner. So perhaps he isn't dry because of the conditioners.  When i worked at a grooming salon they had some dogs that came in every three days, and they had no dander or dryness at all.  Perhaps it could be the food, perhaps give some omega 3 +6's.  That is just from my experience (plus if we don't give Titan a tubbie, he won't get out of the tub! We have lost him 3 times in the house to find him in the tub wanting a bath and he won't get out until you give him one. He seems to actually go in there every thursday or friday...like he knows time!!!) Inbetween baths we use show off rise free shampoo

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 02:54:03 pm »
We have lost him 3 times in the house to find him in the tub wanting a bath and he won't get out until you give him one. He seems to actually go in there every thursday or friday...like he knows time!!!)

Can you teach me to do that with Harley! It's a nightmare getting her in the tub LOL  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 03:03:48 pm »
lol...titan is scared of water too!!! So i dont konw...i do know that we use a grooming coat on him after the bath, and he gets full excitement on the grooming coat...because that means the next time he will see me we are going to show. So perhaps he got used to it? I don't know...one week i couldn't get him near the bathroom...and now i can't get him out... i guess i made him go in so he had no choice (?) i don't know how it happened!!!

Offline Lula The Goofy Newfie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 02:05:40 am »
We have lost him 3 times in the house to find him in the tub wanting a bath and he won't get out until you give him one. He seems to actually go in there every thursday or friday...like he knows time!!!)

Can you teach me to do that with Harley! It's a nightmare getting her in the tub LOL  ;D

Nina

Our inlaws put treats in the tub to coax the bathing, it is not the best method (food) but the association made it so much easier for them.  When the dog can't be found she is in the tub!
Hills — Sir — and the Sundown — and a Dog — large as myself, that my Father bought me.

Emily Dickinson, responding to an acquaintance's question in a letter: "Who are your companions?" She went into reclusion when only 32, preferring her Newfoundland's company to that of humans.