Author Topic: Ooops I goofed!  (Read 3403 times)

jesday

Ooops I goofed!
« on: May 22, 2008, 03:27:57 pm »
Our pups have a pretty good sized dog run I take them to every morning to do their business. Since we live in a rugged area I used to leash them for this small jaunt in case their little puppy brains decided to take off after anything that moved in the brush.

Syrus started carrying his own leash, very proudly I might add,to the point where I no longer had to attach it. I could just give it to him and he was happy to carry it out. Sophie would follow because Syrus had something she didn't. Of course she didn't want her own.

One day I was bringing them in and forgot his leash. He was beside himself not having anything with which to do his job and absolutely would not come in without something to carry so he gently grabbed my hand in his mouth and walked me in. It was so cute and he was so gentle. I did not discourage this and soon it became our new ritual. Well, as he got bigger my hand wasn't satisfying to him any longer and he wanted to lead me by my forearm. This was a little awkward for me but I allowed it to continue because he was still be very gentle.

I'm not sure what has gotten into him, but today he put the  vice grips to my arm and wouldn't let go or ease up. He actually broke the skin. :o He still wanted to lead me to the pen, but major owweeee! :'( I told him to stop, held him back, made him sit but he would not let go. Sophie had to see what all the fuss was about and me and my arm became a bit of a game of keep-away. Not a fun way to start the day. I was finally able to pry my arm out.

Except for the iron clasp, there wasn't any aggression in his bite and I am fully aware that I have set this up myself, but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts as to why the sudden change? This is so atypical of Newf behavior. They are both 9 months old. Should I chalk it up to goofy teenage brattiness? Needless to say it's back to the leash for carrying purposes.

Attached pic is their first sprinkler experience

lins_saving_grace

Re: Ooops I goofed!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:23:21 pm »
I think a lot of dog have the tendency to either test what we will tolerate or not realize their own strength.   it took me forever to get Grace to understand that her sitting on my ribs limited the oxygen I could suck in. 
I love that Syrus carries his own leash.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 04:23:46 pm by Lin »

jesday

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 05:20:43 pm »
Thanks for the comments. The more I think about it he may have been confusing me with one of his toys or more like a possession in the sense of keeping it away from his sister. I probably need to be a little more firm as to who is Alpha in this household. I had thoughts of training him to be a therapy dog. How silly of me to allow the behavior in the first place.

He made up to me later today with a big slobbery kiss. Too bad I left the toilet lid open. :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 07:12:50 am »
Thanks for the comments. The more I think about it he may have been confusing me with one of his toys or more like a possession in the sense of keeping it away from his sister. I probably need to be a little more firm as to who is Alpha in this household. I had thoughts of training him to be a therapy dog. How silly of me to allow the behavior in the first place.

He made up to me later today with a big slobbery kiss. Too bad I left the toilet lid open. :D
Maybe it will never happen again.  :)  i've learned that not rewarding behavior will make it just plain go away. 

Don't you just love toilet water kisses?

jesday

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:32:11 pm »
I don't know what's worse, toilet water kisses, or sitting on a wet seat. I won't even add the 'falling in in the middle of the night because husband left the seat up' ;D Hubs and bubs, ya gotta love em.

Offline 2newfymom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »
Nell used to do this--I don't think it's at all malicious, but it can be a way of saying they're boss, so you are probably better off to (pardon the pun), nip the behavior now.
Nell always wants to carry Annie's leash, but Annie never does it, so I wonder if it's a "big dog" thing (Nell is older and the Alpha dog).
You might want to watch for other signs of dominance, just to make sure everyone knows that Mom is in charge.
It's no big deal--typical "testing the boundaries" behavior, I think. Been there....