Author Topic: Pyrs and warm weather  (Read 10322 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Pyrs and warm weather
« on: April 12, 2008, 03:04:46 am »
Hi there,

Even though today it snowed (ugh), it has been warming up and it's got me thinking about how Jenny will tolerate the warmer weather.  This will be my first spring/summer with a Pyr and I want to make it as comfortable as I can and want to know what to be aware of. We don't have central air conditioning, but do have window units in the bedrooms when it gets unbearable. I was walking my dogs in the evening, but I have started to walk them early (5:30am) in the morning since that will be the coolest part of the day in the summer. Obviously, lots of cool, fresh water available. Is there anything else I should be doing or be aware of? Thanks for any info or advice!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Pyrs and warm weather
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 03:08:34 am »
It was 75F here yesterday and Lily is pretty much unbearable ::) Fans, air conditioning and pretty much no walks in the summer do it for us :) Also, try getting as much undercoat out as possible...tha t will help a lot. I usually use tons of conditioner after bath and let it sit for 15 min or so. It helps to loosen up the undercoat and makes brushing a breeze ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 09:02:36 am »
We got Binky a "puppy cut" her first summer and I would NEVER do it again.  I didn't realize it would be so short (almost shorn) and she looked ridiculous! Now we just provide a lot of water and don't make her exercise too much- if she feels like walking, we do, but if not, we don't make her.  I think Pyrs can regulate their temp pretty well, hot or cold.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 02:53:52 pm »
We used to live in N.CA where summers average between 95 & 105 degrees...agh, hot!!  Here's what we did:

-my pups stayed indoors (in AC) most of the day
-they exercised in early AM or late PM when it was cooler
-we installed an evaporative cooler & a chain link kennel in our garage so that the dogs could stay in there if we had to go out for the day (the dogs were paper trained)
-planted lots of trees & put up other shade structures
-hooked up one line to our auto sprinkler system to auto fill the dogs kiddie pool every few hours
-hooked up a 2nd line to their water bowl to auto fill also

I haven't tried clipping any of our dogs for summer heat problems.  It generally isn't recommended, because their undercoat acts as an insulator to keep out heat in summer as well as keep it in during winter but I know that some people swear that clipping helps keep them cooler.   ;)  :-\  I'd be very hesitant though to try it.  Pyrs skin is mostly pink (with adorable black polka dots that I love, but I digress  ;)  :-*  ;D), so they would sunburn badly.

If one of your bedrooms with AC has an attached bathroom with a tile floor or shower, Jenny will likely attach herself firmly to that tile & snore for the hottest part of the day.   ;)  :D  :-*  That was my Cara's favorite spot, anyway!  LOL 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 02:57:04 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline mountaindogmom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Jack & Greta's Pics
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 08:27:58 am »
Yeah, Jack really hates the heat as well.  He only lays on the hardwood or cool tile floors, preferably on a central AC vent.  He hurries up to potty outside and then heads straight for the door to come back in.  We walk at 6am and 9pm (if it isn't still too hot at 9).  Always feel the pavement/blacktop before starting your walks - if it's too hot for you hand it's too hot for their paws.

Our dogs do NOT look forward to summer, I can say that much!  Unlike me, they much prefer the snow.
Greta - Greater Swiss Mountain Dog (DOB 5-20-06)
Jack - Great Pyrenees (DOB 12-26-06)
& Three Kitties - Zoie, Bella & Nessie!

Offline Zuke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 07:52:11 am »
My Zuke likes to lay down in the bathtub!  I have an old house with those big A/C vents, so the tub gets pretty cold with a lot of cold air blowing on it :)

I also have one of those cool pads (the gel kind) for him to lay on when we're hanging out outside, but I know he's going to bust it open someday because he likes to dig on it before he lays down...but he doesn't like to be wet anymore, so I got the cool pad for him.

Anyway, if you don't have A/C, I might plan on keeping a window unit running for your guy...I know that with my A/C running in the summer, Zuke still lays on the foot of my bed where I have a standing fan blowing all night.

The coolaroo bed is a good idea...I have Kuranda beds (which are basically the same idea), but Zuke doesn't care for his, he only lays on it if our other dogs gets on it...my black lab loves her bed and uses it all year long.

Good luck with the summer heat...I think everyone gave you really good advice here!

Val

Offline pyrenees

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 09:08:45 pm »
My big boy was fine in the heat after a few years of him with all his hair I decided it was more humane to have him shaved or do it myself. He looked like he was wearing pajamas and he loved it. He started acting more like a pup again and was able to relax. I always knew it was the right thing to do when I saw how much he loved it. It would start growing back quickly and you could tell when it is time again before his last cut for fall.
Also I had a friend who lived in Phoenix with a Pyrenees and she never shaved him and told me that he tolerated it fine. My friend tried to convince her she would give him relief if she cut his hair down.
The only thing is you have to be careful they are not in the sun to long because they could get burned like us, if it is to short.
Another thing that was nice is he didnt slobber at all when his hair was short.
Hope it helps.

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 03:12:41 pm »
We ive in Tennessee with our pyr and days where it is 110-115 outside can really be a killer. Luckily we have central AC and limit the time outside. I would never reccommend shaving your Pyr as their coat actually helps to keep them cool (oddly enough) and shaving them too short can expose their sensitive skin to far to much sun. Sounds like you are doing about all you can. If you have a basement its an ideal place to camp out on hot days as it always seems so much cooler underground and my doggies just love it. But as others have said if walks seem to be to much for your pyr don't force it. They will be fine until cooler weather arrives :)

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:56 pm »
PS. there is also a cooling vest product I have seen in Drs Foster and Smith's catalog which you fill with water and then put on your dog as the water evaporates it cools the dog. I am unsure how effective it would be on a Pyr with such dense coat insulation but it may be worth a shot.

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 04:01:24 pm »
It's almost 90F now and my miserable dog would NOT lay on a cold tile. I decided to put a gate up and keep her in the kitchen hoping that she will try staying on tile and realizes how nice it is. Just in case I left her a blanket there. I came from work and found her sleeping on it  ::) :P Is there something wrong with my dog or what ???
Mary W. Crane

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 04:02:44 pm »
I think you've got a weird one on your hands :p

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 04:13:51 pm »
I think you've got a weird one on your hands :p
You sure right about that!  ::)
Mary W. Crane