Author Topic: Hlp with Toys!!!!  (Read 4106 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Hlp with Toys!!!!
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:14:13 am »
We have some baby toys that ppl have gotten us for our upcoming new arrival and the dogs have decided that those are thiers!!!!
This morning they have already torn up two teddy bears that my grandmother got for Payton!  How do I teach them that those toys are for the baby and not for them.  I mean it isnt like they are toy deprived
I counted 30 toys in their basket.  I am not really worried about it now because we do keep that door shut to her room (except for this morning) but what about when she gets older and brings her toys out?  how do I teach them that they have their toys and she has hers?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Hlp with Toys!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »
We do the same thing as the above post.  Baileigh has the WORST habit of leaving her toys everywhere.  She has lost a few since we brought Gunner home but he is learning what is his and what isnt.  A few days ago he had a Barbie in his jowls and I told him to  drop it(he did) and said "not yours" and he walked away from it.  however, this AM he ran off with a flip flop when he was told to drop it.  I guess my 13 year olds toe-cheese smell was too much for him to just let go!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Hlp with Toys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 09:18:25 am »
We've always taught our dog's the "Not Yours" command ... the best part was, when our (human) boys were small, the dogs knew NOT to touch anything that was in the kid's toybox ... but if the dog found it lying around and we weren't there to catch them, chew city!  The boys quickly learned to put their toys away, tee hee! 

Ozzy's been great about this (but there aren't kid stuffed animals around anymore), and only occasionally runs off with his prize possesion, someone's stinky gym sock - BLEAH!

Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male