Author Topic: Too smart for her own good!!  (Read 9754 times)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Too smart for her own good!!
« on: May 27, 2008, 02:20:22 pm »
Jenny has learned a few tricks lately that I really, really wish she hadn't...for instance, she now knows how to open the front door--I heard her open it the other day and she went trotting down the street. I was a crazed lunatic running barefoot down the street after her, my neighbors were impressed that I did actually catch her! (and it's not like she doesn't go for an hour plus long walk every single morning).

The second thing she's learned is how to open the oven and help herself to food...this, of course, is after she's mastered the art of taking things off the counter and from in the sink! (and it's not like I don't feed her high quality food and treats every single day--I'm pretty sure that she hasn't missed a meal yet)!  ::)

Kidding aside, anyone have any suggestions for me? I am now keeping the door locked at all times and have shut the kitchen door when I leave the house, all food is off the counter and kept on top of the fridge. She, of course, does this stuff when I'm not home or not looking, so I figured my best bet was just to remove access.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Too smart for her own good!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 02:30:22 pm »
Hi,

Booby traps!! Counter top treats on trays loaded with pots and cans that crash when pulled off the counter!! Hot sauce a few tidbits (make sure your pup isn't a fan of hot sauce first)that will stop the stealing once they are afraid and find the treat isn't so tasty they are less likely to go after them again.

You have to booby trap multiple times one time won't stop the behavior!!

For the door keep it closed or locked or install a knob that the pup can't open, instead of a handle!!

Hope it helps!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 02:55:21 pm »
LOL sorry but just wait until she learns how to open the fridge! Hi have to booby trap my fridge because Harley knows how to open it. As for you oven you can get a child lock for it, that might work. Just make sure she doesn't see you put it on or she might figure out how to break it. I use to have a child lock on the fridge  ::)

Good luck  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 06:03:15 pm »
My only suggestion is: Get it on video!! hahahaha!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:28:28 pm »
Cirra can open our sliding glass door so we lock it to keep her in - our home is like a psychiatric facility.  Actually, Cirra can open the door when it is locked if she really wants to - so we have a piece of wood that we put in the door when needed.  Pyrs????

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:11:09 pm »
Naja knows how to open the front screen door as well.  We keep the big door closed.  She plows through the screen on the sliding door to the porch too, so we have to keep the glass door closed.  She once ate an entire Rubarb Pie off the counter!  :o >:( :D
You could try a Scat Mat http://www.contech-inc.com/products/scatmat/, but I second the video idea!  ;) :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Cave2PyrPressure

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 09:38:18 am »
OMG, that is funny, frightening, frustrating and back to funny all at one time!  They are smart boogers, aren't they? We have spent many mornings (and evenings, and afternoons) running after Breeze has snuck out the door, which is oh-so-dangerous this time of year in Florida because it's gator mating season, they come out to do their thing while it's cool and since morning is really the only cool time now...

We installed a chain lock on our front door - the door itself is one big window (installed pre-Pyrs) so they can see everything out there, were really getting close to getting it open and that just cannot happen.  Now it just stays chained at all times.  Does your oven have the slide handle to lock it (for self-cleaning, etc)?  We used that when the kids were little to keep them from opening it.  Otherwise, there's a side mount made by Safety 1st that will keep it secure.  There is one for refrigerators, as well.  Man, to think we may have to go back to the toddler tricks!!  I just sold all my gates, locks, etc at a garage sale because my youngest birth child just turned 5... I should have kept them!

Good luck  :)
~Kelli - Colin, Molly and Patrick's birth mother
Breezely Greatest Pyr 2.5
Sullivan, Pyr foster failure 1.5
Cassidy Beautiful Border Collie 14
Gomez the Wonder Chihuahua 2
George the Fat Cat 6

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:07:17 pm »
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Sorry- but I live that constantly at my house. Bella broke the ice machine on the fridge, serving ice to her and her buds when she felt like she needed a cold refreshment- we have to keep the dishwasher locked and we hide things in the stove. She stole a whole trash bag this past tuesday as I was taking out the trash and hid it until I had left for work- so surprise- what a mess to come home to in the afternoon.You can not leave anything on the stove or in the sink- and you can not have anything in a bag or in a box- she is worse than a kid before Christmas.
I suppose if you cant find some lock for the stove, the first thought that came to mind was Duct Tape....
Good Luck with the ingenious Jenny- she is a character.

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:05:15 pm »
the first thought that came to mind was Duct Tape....

hahahahahaah! A dear old friend of mine used to tell me that a person could survive a heck of a long time if they just have Duct Tape, Baler Twine, and toilet paper.

Yep! Duck Tape sounds like a winner. & it comes in lovely designer colors nowdays too.  :-*

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 02:03:41 am »
the first thought that came to mind was Duct Tape....

hahahahahaah! A dear old friend of mine used to tell me that a person could survive a heck of a long time if they just have Duct Tape, Baler Twine, and toilet paper.

Yep! Duck Tape sounds like a winner. & it comes in lovely designer colors nowdays too.  :-*

LOL!  My mom swears by duct tape & panty hose.  I've seen her use panty hose as rope to tie things before.  It was so embarrassing when I was a teen.  Once I borrowed Mom's car (a classic, even at that time) and Mom had tied down her rattling air cleaner with nylon panty hose for a quick fix.  I drove into a gas station to fill up & they popped the hood to check the oil for me and gave me the funniest look.   ;D  :-[  :D  Necessity really *IS* the mother of invention.....

Miss Jenny sounds like she's settled into your home well.  What a cute scamp she is!  I've told many Cara stories before, but she was my big mischief pup and a great training ground for us.  I found out later that Cara's dad could open just about any gate latch that the breeder tried.  In fact, 6 mos after Cara & her sibs were born, there was an unplanned litter when he used his Houdini-like abilities to get to Cara's mom...again.   :-\ 

I like the baby latch ideas & I hope that you find something that works well.  We've used the "layers of protection" idea that people use around pools (you know, like locking doors, then a locking gate, and a pool alarm) when trying to avoid problems.  Maybe with Jenny if you can use the fridge & oven latches, and then keep the kitchen door closed too that may help.  On the front door, replacing the door knob with one that she hasn't mastered yet, using a chain or flip lock above, and you can get little battery operated security alarms that just stick on the door that will go off when the door is opened (you can turn them off too when you want).  They're only around $10 for 3 in a pack as I recall & they work really well.  We've used them before here.  Good luck & give that pretty girl a big hug for me.   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyrenees

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 08:40:13 am »
That was kind of funny. It brought back memories also. They are actually so tall that there head is at perfect height for countertops and tables. My Great Pyrenees had an obsession with bread. I think you are doing things right you learn to adapt. I remember keeping the bread in the fridge or cupboard because that was the only thing he would go after. The other thing I had to do was get a new garbage can that he could not knock over everytime I left the house. I never had to deal with the doors though, that is really something else. I am thinking of those child locks they have at least for a while.
Good Luck and hope you find something that will help. ;D

marypyrs

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 09:03:04 am »
The only thing I have to keep away from Rainbow (well two things) - a scrub bucket with any vinegar water in it AND paper towels. She'll dump the water and then - with whole rolls of paper towels - try to mop it up. (So Mom won't see?  ???) You'd think I would have learned by now = but I still goof up now and then.  :-\

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »
After losing an entire casserole, several loaves of bread, a sugar pumpkin, and an entire box of just-colored boiled eggs the day before Easter, we moved to a house with a pantry with a high counter and shelves above. ;D However, we still have to baby-gate it to keep them out of the cat box (ew).  What about the icky apple spray on the sides of the counter?

Nakita can open most doors, so I spent a lot of time training her to NOT go out the door until I give a release command (okay, let's go,...).  She's escaped once since moving to the new house; we may have to put in a different handle.  Funny note: Bear never follows her when she escapes.  He waits at the door like a big goofy doof. Also, Nakita doesn't run.  She escapes to find us - gardening, bbq-ing, etc., and presents as though she just rescued us from the scary side of a mountaintop (thank goodness! - and isn't she a good girl?!). ::)

I like the babygate and lock idea and fully support your getting it on video.  :D  Just keep breathing and enjoy your incredibly smart pup.  And be sure to keep us posted!

:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)