Author Topic: I never should have got out of bed....horrible day in my life  (Read 13307 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
I come out in the family room this morning and find Titan attacking jazmine...not once today but 4 different times...i schedule a vet visit...on the way to the vet titan broke my trucks rear window!!! He decided he didn't want to stay in the back...(luckily it is plexiglass type so it didn't break in pieces,,,but came out of the window) Then we go into the vet take blood samples...find out  that both titan and jaz have an extreme high C6 lyme.  So not only do we have lyme disease...we also have dual ear infections in both ears, both dogs.... Then i find out the bill...the BILL..of $1000.00!!!!! Fine...the dogs need it...mind you this is just blood work...no meds. Because titan and jaz are so large, i had to go to a pharmacy to get the meds for them...all 468 pills of doxy.  $250 for the pills.  Then we don't have any dog food left so there is another $150.  BUT...we had our TDI class tonight and that did go well.,....until the ride home.  On the ride home i ran over a baby bunny. WHAT A DAY!!! Hopefully it will be better day tommorow!!

Offline TannerW

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Roxie
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
Re: I never should have got out of bed....horrible day in my life
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:13:05 pm »
Dang. :-\

Like you said, hope tomorrow is better.

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:32 pm »
True it does...but it is going to be with him for life now...i know have 3 lyme positive dogs...i feel like a horrible owner..and i don't know how to fix it...do i load them up with vaccines, chemicals? or what? What do i do?

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
So sorry about your day, tomorrow WILL be better!

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:52 pm »
I am soooo sorry. Lots of healing and calming thoughts your way!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 10:06:17 pm »
Look at it this way how bad could tomorrow be.. ;D
Days like this make us all appreciate the *normal* days in our lives..if there is such a thing..

Even in this day you were able to find positive things..

We all have days that we just think it would have been better to hide under the blankets..it was just your turn..

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 10:16:35 pm »
Aw...that is a sucky day. So, if you had stayed in bed, it wouldn't have been you that hit the bunny, but someone else would have. And, if you had stayed in bed, your pups would be miserable and not feeling good, but now they are diagnosed and medicated and on their way to better times. Maybe that's the silver lining? Hang in there... :)
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 10:22:34 pm »
Sorry to hear you had such a crappy day.
Holy Moley that is an expensive vet bill just for bloodwork!!

Hope your day is better tomorrow.

if you want some info on lyme disease, here's a basic website on it:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/lyme.html

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 12:25:29 am »
True it does...but it is going to be with him for life now...i know have 3 lyme positive dogs...i feel like a horrible owner..and i don't know how to fix it...do i load them up with vaccines, chemicals? or what? What do i do?

Quick question: What do you mean "Be with him for life"? Antibiotics are usually really good at clearing it up, so long as it is caught fast- and if he's not having really bad joint pain or high fever, you caught it fast, didnt you? Is he walking ok? what was the prognosis the vet gave? Are all three of the dogs mobile without pain?

I'd at least use frontline plus or something similar in the future to prevent ticks, and also maybe vaccinate against Lyme disease if you are in an area where theres a whole lot of it, I dont like to over-vaccinate at all but if you are exposed you might as well.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 12:57:21 am »
Ah hugs... sorry it was such a horrible day.

And ouch on the vet bill!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 07:29:20 am »
Big Hugs to you (((((HUGS))))), what a crappy day. Wishing you a better day to come. At least you got some anwsers about Titans behavior :-\

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:03:33 am »

Quick question: What do you mean "Be with him for life"? Antibiotics are usually really good at clearing it up, so long as it is caught fast- and if he's not having really bad joint pain or high fever, you caught it fast, didnt you? Is he walking ok? what was the prognosis the vet gave? Are all three of the dogs mobile without pain?

I'd at least use frontline plus or something similar in the future to prevent ticks, and also maybe vaccinate against Lyme disease if you are in an area where theres a whole lot of it, I dont like to over-vaccinate at all but if you are exposed you might as well.
Lyme disease is not curable...the doxy helps with the inflammation of the joints, and curtails the symptoms...Lym e disease will always be in his body...the vaccine is state run..so it will only cover the two ticks here in MA...just like in your state...if you come here then your pup could get lyme here...and with the way vaccines go around here...knowing us..we would still get it.  We have used frontline plus, they have been on it all winter and now because of the bad ticks around here....and we still got it.  Apparently we have had it for a while, i just switched vets yesterday...so what happened was all these problems that titan has been having ...from yes limping, "growing pains" and all the other things i complained to the vet about...for 9 months....he thought i was crazy...only to go to this vet and have two dogs that have bad lyme.

Offline fings

• Gnawer
  • Bo Vadar
    • View Profile
    • Bo Knows: He Just Doesn't Listen
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 12:28:27 pm »
What a day! I'm sure things will start turning around.  Our dog had Lyme but wasn't diagnosed until 12 years later. They found out when they did a blood test for something else.  Luckily, you found out and are getting treatment.  I was told Bo was a very lucky boy to still be around since he never got treatment. Hang in there.

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 08:39:23 pm »
check this video and web site out.  got the link from thepetcenter.c om

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtGpak0XVsQ&feature=related

http://oldcountryvet.com/

Anyone ever heard of the old country vet?
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 08:53:39 pm »
Thank you, i did see that in my rush for information! I found it intersting.  After 24 hours of meds...acutall y 4 doses .... Titan slept all day today, jazmine has no signes...altho ugh when they did a c6 on them titan had 150 and jazmine had...an ouch of 319.  But after 4 doses of meds it is a NUT CASE here right now...Titan is crazy running like a normal puppy, he let maya take a treat out of his mouth with no issues at all...i think he is feeling better! He is eating everything and anything, being a puppy again...and i am shocked how high jazmine is because she has no symptoms at all at a level of over 300.  I don't know if i believe the actual levels, although i do know that  they are feeling better today....