Author Topic: well the meeting with the other OEM went horrible!!  (Read 7692 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
well the meeting with the other OEM went horrible!!
« on: May 24, 2008, 11:17:52 pm »
Titan decided he didn't like her, and he bit her nose and she was bleeding...the n when we put him back into the truck, he bit jazmine (his sister, well not really, but sibling) He has just been horrible!! I dont know what to do. I thought it was just males...boy was i wrong...it is the girlies too..and she was intact! I don't know what his issue is. 
SO...under the advise of a trainer who saw this whole thing, we purchased a jumbo gentle leader for him (which barely fits) and we are going to really work hard with him.  This is silly and stupid of him.  It is like he got unsocialized, although i don;t know how, he is always with otehrs.  SO...we have made the ultimate decision of if he can tolerate other dogs in the next few weeks, we will get this big girl...if not, if it will take like 2-6 months or so...then we are unfortuanatly going to pass and get the mastiff that we want (a brindle girl).  OIY!~!!

angelsmama

Re: well the meeting with the other OEM went horrible!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:41:36 pm »
sorry to hear it went so bad :(

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 06:03:51 pm »
Maya is not back here yet, she comes back on Monday or tuesday.  I think what happened is the other dog was so into his face the whole time, and he had had enough.  Today we started training with a gentle leader around other dogs...with a trainer of course, and  it was intersting to watch his body language.  i sat there and the trainer came over, and just stood there with the other dog on leash...Titan did great. Then we stood there longer and the otehr dog came closer, when that happened titan turned his back, moved away from the dog which was a good thing, although we need to make his threshold a little longer.  5 feet away from another is fine, but not when he is ok with our dog jazmine...and attacked her yesterday.... :-[ poor jaz wanted out of that car sooo fast!  :-\ i felt horrible for her.  SO...the deal is that since i am only seeing so many faults in this little (well big) girl, i am going to pass the oppertunity.  All i see is no manners, never had a collar on, not housetrained, super ultra sway back, small head....bad rear....nice front and ok head wrinkles.  OR i could wait 6 months train titan, and spend the 2500 to get the pup i truely want.  It makes me want to wait longer, she was a nice girl, i just would not want to show her....nor do i think any handler would want to show her either... :-\ i do believe everything happens for a reason, and this may just be the reason.  I will work with titan through out the day ( since jobless again...) BUT...on the other hand, Jazmine loved her so much, she had a blast, i just wish titan was as enthusiastic!!!

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:24:01 am »
Well, unfortunatly if she neuters him then he can't be shown- he's being show in conformation classes, correct? They must be intact for breed classes.

IMVHO, I would pass on the girl. I know what you mean, its hard to pass up a sweet girl being handed to you, but you just listed a LOT of faults, preventing her from being what you wanted her to be. If you were getting her as a pet, then theres nothing wrong with those faults, those are just her little imperfections that make her unique, and her. But, if you are looking for another show dog, and you only have limmited room, as most of us do, then perhaps it is better to wait and save money for the pup you want. That would also give Titan some time to get adjusted to the idea, and for you to get him a little more socialized with other dogs. Plus, with Maya coming back, it will give you more time to focus on Maya and Titan's relationship without the added stress of a dog totally new to the household, and a dog that's not housetrained or leash trained and is huge!

How is he in the ring? He doesnt really sound aggressive at all, just doesn't like his space being invaded which is completely understandable .

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:55:32 pm »

I realize this, obviously his show career would be ended if he was neutered, which is why I asked if he was going to be used for breeding, or was it a fun thing. 

Ahhh ok I thought you meant that if he wasn't going to be bred, then she could just neuter him and keep showing him for fun. my mistake!  ;D

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:13:15 pm »
We were going to breed him, although....we don't know any more.  We are working with a gentle leader, although our problem is we do not have any other dogs around here who would work with us.  SO...all of the training that we went to just is not going to work.  We did get maya back from the trainer today and we were thinking of putting titan there, although maya isn't a dog any more, she is always looking for constant control, which is fine, but just not what i wanted.  Then again she was kenneled for 3 weeks.  ANYWAY...With titan we do plan on finishing him and doing more with him as well. On june 10 we get out tdi, he is fine with other dogs, as long as they are not in his face and show no interest in him. Then he is fine...it is when it is all up in his face...that he has an issue....which i understand, although eating is not permitted!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 04:21:28 pm »
We sent a boxer off to a training like that where she was gone for 3 to 4 weeks and she was like that.  She always needed us to ask her to do something she didnt play or anything.
I will say eventually she was back to somewhat her original self because we put aside training for awhile
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 04:29:07 pm »
well i figured she was either in a kennel or training...tha t is it.  i train dogs just not with her problems that she had...but i feel that it was done great, although now she doesn't wag her tail, she is ultra submissive...w alks with her head down now........i wanted this more than anything...but i wish she was her normal self again just minus the aggression!! I would love titan to go there so perhaps he wouldn't be so slow on things, but not if he is going to become "yes master, what can i do next master" I don't want slaves, i want dogs!!