Author Topic: Completely NDR but I could use your help  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Completely NDR but I could use your help
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:19:40 am »
I recently met a woman who adopted a little girl from Guatemala a couple of years ago. Since then, the US has ceased allowing adoptions from Guatemala so the orphanages in this country are overflowing with needy children. Parents, unable to care for all their children, and with no access to birth control, are literally dumping their children at the side of the road.

Vanessa just got back from a personal mission trip to this country and met a woman from the US who started an orphanage called Casa de Sion, which happens to be very near where Starbucks gets their Guatemala Antigua coffee.

So, my store and our sister store nearby, are organizing an item drive to help this orphanage. They have children from infant to 16 years old here and they need EVERYTHING. If your kids have any clothes, gently used shoes, school bags, bedding, etc. that they have grown out of, I would appreciate if you could send it my way so we can get it to the orphanage. Even if you are changing the decorations in the kids room, they could really use some wall decorations, etc. to brighten up the orphanage.

Vanessa is also trying to get school supplies for a nearby school as most of the kids families can't afford basic supplies to send their kids to school.

Some other things they could really use include:
cloth diapers and diaper pins
over-the-counter medications (especially for lice and fungal infections, cold meds, etc.)
rubber sheets
food items such as dried milk, canned meats and vegetables, peanut butter, dried fruits, etc.
soap, shampoo, toothpaste and other personal care items (remember, there are some 16 year old girls...)
towels and washcloths
eating utensils
plastic bowls/plates
stuffed animals and toys

IM me for my address if you can help.
Here is a link to the orphanage's blog site: http://casadesion.blogspot.com/
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Completely NDR but I could use your help
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:05:39 am »
Absolutely!! Cross-post all you want!!

Here are some pictures from the orphanage that Vicki, the lady that runs the orphanage sent me.

The first picture is of a little baby boy who was found on the side of the road at only a few days old.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:52:33 pm »
At the moment I have only 1 cloth diaper my son has outgrown.

Now are you talking about All in One/All in two cloth diapers or the flats? As you asked for pins too. Maybe getting some of the Snappi fasteners would help them too.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 04:58:20 pm »
hmmm anyway to possibly PayPal a donation so that you or one of the other volunteers can pick up some much needed stuff? I don't have anything that I can send as of right now but I was thinking that it would save me some money shipping wise if I could send some money to help out:)

Annnnd plastic bowls/plates do you mean like the disposable type or  more along the lines of cheap wal-mart plastic plates?

I'll see if Vanessa or Vicky have a paypal account. That's a good suggestion. Also a great question about the plates/bowls. Definitely NOT the disposable type - I was going for the reusable, non-breakable type.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 05:00:13 pm »
At the moment I have only 1 cloth diaper my son has outgrown.

Now are you talking about All in One/All in two cloth diapers or the flats? As you asked for pins too. Maybe getting some of the Snappi fasteners would help them too.

Unfortunately, I don't know nothin' 'bout changin' no babies!! Hee Hee.

I would assume they'll take anything they can get. Of course, they ask for the cloth diapers so they can reuse them. They do also ask for disposable diapers for when they take the kids on outings, but for everyday use they want anything that is washable and reusable.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 03:43:06 pm »
Here are the answers to those questions:

1) is there a paypal account they can send money to for you or Vicky to use to purchase things if they don't have anything to send.
They could send a check made payable to the Des Allemands Mennonite church and put Guatemala in the memo section. Ryan will then make a copy of the check for records and put it into the mission account for me until all funds come in and it's time to travel or send the boxes down. This is what I would recommend because we'll be buying formula and food in bulk for them from a store in Panajacehl, Guatemala. The address to send it to is P.O. Box 276 Des Allemands,LA 70030.

2) in regards to the cloth diapers: do you want the all-in-one or all-in-two kinds or the flat diapers.  I guess either would be fine because she didn't specify!! I had no clue there was more than one kind either!! I'm sure they would use which ever ones they get though!!

Please thank them dearly for me!! I know Vicki is going to be thrilled with the help she's getting!