Author Topic: Hygroma - Need Reassurance!  (Read 5200 times)

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Hygroma - Need Reassurance!
« on: June 02, 2008, 05:37:07 pm »
About a month ago Raja developed (overnight) a hygroma on her front elbow the size of a tennis ball.  We, not knowing what it was, took her to the vet and then set out to learn all of the wonderful things that there are to learn about them.

Problem?  It seemed to be shrinking some, but then last week we had to take a trip up North and my husband's mother dog sat for us.  Now it's back to being the size of a tennis ball.  Currently we are doing a light compression wrap (key word being light, anything else cuts off her circulation as evidenced by her leg swelling) and providing her with a human elbow brace (which fits very nicely).

Not only do we have all hardwood floors and tile, but we also have a huge cement patio outside that Raja loves to flop on and/or play with the ever hyper Bo on.  Hence, despite adding padded area rugs, etc. nothing seems to help.  She rarely lies on her beds now that it has gotten warmer.  Because of this, I've resorted to crating her several hours a day, as it seems to be the only way I can keep Bo off of her (and her from slamming/flopping on the floor).

Questions:

I know that this is a long process... How long?  Should I start seeing any improvement soon?

Would DoggLeggs really be worth it? 

I've read a few things about possible helpful ointments, does anyone here have experience with them?
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
Re: Hygroma - Need Reassurance!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:41:36 pm »
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:58:27 pm »
Thanks to both of you!  We actually purchased a Coolaroo bed last week (thanks to earlier suggestions I read on this forum), but so far she isn't digging on it much (or the other dogs steal it).   As evidenced by my avatar, Raja seems to delight in discomfort.

I'm glad to know though that just because she isn't better in a month doesn't mean the world is going to end.  I just can't help but go into panic mode everytime I see her lump.  A year will probably turn my hair gray!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 07:42:24 pm »
I am a big believer in the Dogg Leggs.  I used them on my Dane for her granuloma.  The Dogg Legg's folks a re first rate.
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet