Author Topic: Liquid poops! YUCK!  (Read 7317 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Liquid poops! YUCK!
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:59:16 am »
I thought I was doing so good too!  She hadn't had a single booty blowout ever I think, and now I'm following her around wiping up watery liquid dropping that she'll ever so often squat down and squirt out!  EWWWWWW!!!  And it smells WAY worse then her normal poop does!  Weird thing is, she's acting completely normal, trying to catch flies mid air, and trying to eat Moo's head when he bugs her.  I don't get it??  She hasn't had a change in diet, but she did get into a bag that was left outside overnight with chicken in it.  So now my paranoid little brain is going into overdrive thinking she's caught some horrible parasite like Salmonilla and is going to Sh!t herself to death!  I called the vet, but because I haven't been to work in a little over a month now, I can't afford to pay them up front and asked them to bill me please, they said to give her Pepto Bismal and withhold food for 24 hours to see if she improves.  Should I wait that 24 hours or go rob a bank?  (ok the rob a bank thing was a joke, I'll prob just borrow some money from the bf).

What do you think I should do?  If she were acting sick then I think I would be more apt to take affermative (sp?)action, but she's acting as though all is right with the world.  ???
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Liquid poops! YUCK!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:11:05 am »
I personally take Charcoal tablets when I have booty blowouts LOL GROSS...i cant beilive i just said that!!
I dont know if it safe to give your dogs or not?? You ask your vet.... also garlic tables remove any toxins in the system and help to purifiy.
Charcoal adsorbs the gases of the stomach and intestines, and also liquids and solids (hence its use in the treatment of certain poisonings). It acts like a giant sponge and then is eliminated through your urine. I have had Salmonilla before and there is nothing that you can take to help it just need to run its course...if you give and anti-poopy pill the the toxins are help up in your body with no where to go....once the medication runs out....WATCH OUT!!
good luck...but you might just have to let it run its course! Big kisses to the Big girl hope she feels better soon!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:17:04 am »
Ditto the charcoal, and yes it is safe to give to dogs. They recommend it to me when harley ate grapes. Don't know the dosage though. I would also let it run its course, but keep an eye on her and make sure she drinks plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. I'm sure she'll be fine :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 10:18:00 am »
awww opoor girl  :'( Booty blowouts are no fun. I have given pepto for it before and it helped. They are like skin kids--they get lil viruses that just have to run its course  :-\  Hope she feels better soon. Pure pumpkin helps firm up stools too--it can't be pie filling. A few tablespoons--Someone else may know a better dose for the pumpkin.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:20:11 am by Icerotti »

jesday

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:18:40 am »
It's probably just the fact she ate something other than regular diet. All our dogs will get a case of the loose poops whenever they get more than a mouthfull of something new. At this point I wouldn't worry about any kind of poisoning and would just let it run its course. I'd give it at least 24hrs before rushing to the vet especially since she is her normal self otherwise.  Our Chihuahua will get the poops if I even give him a few bites of steak. Too rich for him. Consider the things dogs eat. Out here, deer poop is yummy and if they run across some moose poop they are in heaven. Yuck, yuck yuck!

Make sure she has plenty of water so she doesn't get dehydrated. I have given my guys Immodium with the okay from my vet and find it works better than Pepto. I can give Chili the Chihuahua a 1/2 tablet and he does fine. A regular sized or large dog can have an adult human dose.

Of course any change in her behavior and I wouldn't hesitate to take her to the vet. Try to bring a sample if you can.

Hope this helps.

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:37:35 am »
I always keep Kaopectate on hand at all times. I've used it on dogs AND horses (foals) for many years. Works better than anything else and Vet OK'd (recommended)

The old standby. Boiled or baked potato. Smushed with skin on and added to food. (About 1 small to medium) Can be fed alone - recommended for short term - with a low sodium chicken broth or with browned and drained ground chicken or extra lean ground beef.

I wouldn't hesitate in a second to take her in if you feel the need. Most Vets understand that $ is not always readily available and will work through it with you.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:10:08 am »
I always keep Kaopectate on hand at all times. I've used it on dogs AND horses (foals) for many years. Works better than anything else and Vet OK'd (recommended)

Jane, how much do you give per day/per LB?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 11:27:45 am »
1200 to 1500 MG after each loose movement. No more than 9000 in 24 hours. This is for a full grown Pyr sized dog. I give via syringe for proper dosage rather than trying to give by spoon.

I've adjusted by size of dog (or horse).

Also give Pedialyte if I feel they may be, or might be getting, dehydrated.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:18:31 pm »
Thanks for all your quick replies guys!  I always know I can count on everyone here for good advice when I don't know what to do.  :) 

I've given her some Pepto as that's all we have in the house right now.  She's got lots of fresh water, and I'm with-holding food for 24 hours at the vets recomendation.  She's not acting like she feels icky so I'm not panicking anymore. ;)  She has not had anymore bowel movements since about 11 am or so.  I'm hoping that by the time I give her her first meal of boiled chicken and white rice tomorrow morning she'll be back to normal and I can put her back on her usual food tomorrow night.  Unfortunately I've got to get going to school now, and she'll be alone for about 3 hours.  I'm putting her in her kennel outside with a big thing of fresh water and her dog house.  Hopefully she'll be just dandy in there and not have anymore tummy problems while alone.

I'll keep you updated on how she's feeling by tomorrow.  Thanks again for all your great advice!  And MaryPyrs, where do you get Kaopectate from?  I'd like to pick some up for the future.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:31:53 pm »
I just saw it in Walgreens :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)