Author Topic: I need help, emotional support, & ideas ~  (Read 7694 times)

marypyrs

I need help, emotional support, & ideas ~
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:22:49 am »
I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. A heavy heart. And I don't know what to do. I guess I need you guys as a sounding board. Please bear with me. Sorry it's so long.

Some months ago - early last fall - I had a call from our Rescue about a Pyr Boy who had severe resource guarding issues. He was less than one year old but huge. Really huge. He had attacked one of this families elder dogs (Sheltie) for no reason other than the fact that she "walked into the room". The Mom was frightened to death. The Dad did NOT want to give this fellow up. I did a home visit and they had by that time decided to give him another chance.

He was lovely and a real sweetheart. It's a great home. They were going to give him more time because he had just been neutered and they were hoping the testosterone level would drop and this would help. They have a large home and were going to keep him separate from the other pets. - - - - Didn't! And another attack on another older dog. (Golden X)

More talks. They took him to obedience training. He graduated with flying colors. They walk him daily. Socialized him out of the home. I thought things were finally working out.

NOT! I just heard from Rescue this morning and he attacked their 18 yo cat and tried to kill it. They want him out of the home ASAP. They love this boy. They do NOT want to have him PTS. But they feel they can not keep him until Foster or a new home comes round. They are wanting me to take him until such time and I've been rolling this over, and over, and over in my mind.

My first priority is the health, safety, and well being of my Babes and this would mean that Max would have to be separated and out on the Mud Room for who knows how long. Rain is as gentle as they come but she is Alpha and would NOT put up with nonsense of any kind from Max. Whisper is "another Male". All Foster Homes in our and close by Rescues are full up right now. He would not be a good candidate for multi dog/pet homes anyway.

I'm feeling SO BAD! I'm putting off calling Max's Momma. I don't know what to do. The Breeder would NEVER take him back. They're basically a Puppy Mill with 8 to 10 litters a year and a lot of their dogs have come back to Rescue for one reason or another.

Anyway. Sorry this is so long. I feel like a REAL Rescue Failure in the worst of ways. Thanks for letting me vent.

Jane

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: I need help, emotional support, & ideas ~
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 08:36:01 am »
I dont have any advice as I have never done any rescues before but I will say NEVER ever call yourself a failure.  Sometimes difficult cases like these come along and the only ones who have failed this boy are the ones that bred him for profit and brought him into this world.  THEY failed him not YOU.
I hope you can come up with  a solution for him and that he can find a forever home.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:38:06 am »
Oh, Jane! That's such a tough decision. It sounds to me like maybe the dog just has dominance problems with smaller animals. What is your work situation like? Are you able to be home all the time to monitor his behavior? Keep him on a leash with you so he is able to be immediately corrected if necessary?

It's amazing that he passed obedience class with flying colors, which I assume means he didn't have any conflicts with the other dogs in the class. I'd like to know more abou that experience if I were you. Were the other dogs in the class all large breed? WERE there any incidents?

I don't think the dog sounds beyond help, but he definitely needs someone knowledgeable with the time and patience to really notice the signs and correct the behavior before it gets to the danger level.

Keep brainstorming - if there is an answer out there we'll find it!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:52:20 am »
Would a trail run in your home be able to happen? If so then you could see (supervised) how he reacts with your pups. Or are you committed to having him once he is there. Surely these people understand that it is going to be trail and error for a while and possibley let you have him in you home a the basis that he can recover.
Dont call your self a failure PLEASE you are doing the best you can do with sitiuation in front you....these hard ones just always seem to be the most toublsome ones and that seem to really bother!
Good luck and keep your head up!
Keep us posted!

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:02:05 am »
I would suggest giving Sid Murray a call. He is just amazing with dogs. He took our one female rotti and turned her right around from being an aggressive dog to a wonderful dog. Sid is a straight shooter and some feel he is gruff but he knows his stuff.

http://vaxxine.com/edlyn/

Good Luck

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:18 am »
Are you able to be home all the time to monitor his behavior? Keep him on a leash with you so he is able to be immediately corrected if necessary?

It's amazing that he passed obedience class with flying colors, which I assume means he didn't have any conflicts with the other dogs in the class. I'd like to know more abou that experience if I were you. Were the other dogs in the class all large breed? WERE there any incidents./quote]

I am (thankfully) home all the time. "Retired". I've downsized to just three horses and my Puppers, Rainbow and Whisper. Max's Mom and Dad are also retired. Two horses, four dogs, and two kitties.

Max is good with people and animals met out of the home. He was fine during obedience training with both large and small because it was tightly monitored. It's deffinetly a resource guarding issue with him.

These people are SO nice. They love their animals beyond measure. It would be the Dream Home for most dogs. It just is not working with Max.

From what I have found from these "Breeders" (Breeder used loosely) they do NO temperment testing. NO genetic testing. Ortho problems are common. Many with extreem overbites. They push for extreem size. The females are bred each and every cycle until they can no longer. One 10 yo F was bred a couple months back - and both of the two puppies born died. The pups are born in the basement. Moved to the barn at about three days old - even in subzero temps - and put "on the market" ASAP! Gurrrrrr!!!

Because these people advertise so widely on the internet, and because the site "looks good" they are able to market - yes market - these babies. $800.00 a pop! Prospective owners are also told that underground fencing WORKS for Pyrs! Good G**! Not that all the pups have problems spoken about. It's just that we have a large number who come into Rescue. None yet with the degree of agression as this one. (That we've known.)  

Back to topic. Thanks All for the input. I'm going to drive to the home and talk one and one with the family. I just hate like the dickens to disappoint them. They HAVE tried so hard. They ARE wonderful people. This is what makes it so hard. Many dogs are taken from horrific situations. Neglect. Cruelness untold. Not the case here. They truly are fantastic people!

Thanks for the link Icerotti. I'm going to check it out right now.

Thanks ALL!!!! I appreciate it SO MUCH! :-* I knew I could come here.

Jane
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 10:21:17 am by marypyrs »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 11:14:10 am »
Jane, if behaviorist can't help and there are no foster homes available maybe they could get big used kennel and separate him while they are looking for a one dog family for him? I wish I could help :-[
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:20:48 pm »
Thanks Guys!

I have a call into them now. Just waiting to hear back and set a time to go over and talk.

They do have a good yard setup already. It's a beautiful home. There is a division from the main house and the Husband's office where Max can be separated from the rest. Problem is - it's difficult to keep the kitties out I guess. Plus the other three dogs are Elders. (one a Rescued Pyr Girl about 10 or 11 yrs old now) The front yard has a nice chain link fence where he can be at times. They do not want to keep him out there as he's always been mostly an inside dog. I think they are just plain tired of it all. And can no longer deal with him. Most if not all of his issues have been resourse guarding his "Mom".

I just do not know if I can handle him here with my two and the horses. I'm certainly strong enough physically to deal myself with training and such - but honestly do not know if I can deal with the constant factors that I know will be felt by ALL the Pups. Max and mine as well.

I'm taking deep breaths. Gonna go take my "Kids" for a walk. Run everything through my head again. & see what - if anything - this empty head of mine can come up with.

I'm thinking Olesya's separation idea till a one dog family comes up is a winner. I believe I even saw actual Dog Kennel Fencing laying out there by the side yard and the barn when I was there last. IF I can convince them to wait till then. ? ?

Major Guilt Trip here. I've got to get over that or I'll be of NO help.

Thanks again,
Jane