Author Topic: Crazy (but lovable) Big Paw! HELP PLEASE  (Read 1702 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Crazy (but lovable) Big Paw! HELP PLEASE
« on: June 06, 2008, 05:51:26 pm »
We recently moved our dog pen into the backyard instead of the side yard. My pyr is having a bit of a hard time settling in because he can't see the street anymore (barked non stop so we decided to move his vision to our back yard). Well I arrive home today and he has got blood on his fur???!!?? I first look for the pup (8 week berner) and she is safe as a cute button...then I look back around and see that Marley has begun dismantling our 6 foot wood fence with his teeth!! I never thought he would try and chew his way out - nor did I think he could! Obviously we secured the whole bottom area thinking if he wanted to escape he would dig and there fore we lay cement slabs down! Now I am at a loss. I don't want him to hurt himself and also don't want him to destroy the whole fence! Any suggestions??
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 05:58:54 pm by MarleyPyr »
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Crazy (but lovable) Big Paw! HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 06:04:58 pm »
You can try spraying the fence with oils or bitter apple. Once he learns it's nasty he will not try it again :) Stinker >:(
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

marypyrs

Re: Crazy Big Paw! HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:26:12 pm »
Can you put more fencing/dog pen/kennel panels back up in the side yard with a gate between to ease him into the backyard? Do the transformation more slowly? He's just trying to protect the area he has always known as "his". He had his daily routine down to a science and now feels that "something's just not right". He'll need some extra easing into the new area.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 05:36:33 am »
Is it possible to put plexiglass windows in the fence?  Our springer spaniel did the same thing because she HAD to see what was going on so we put a few "windows" in and she was better

Good luck!!

Randy

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 11:57:59 am »
I am a bit worried that he wants to get away from the pup? would that be possible or is it most likely more the sight thing? THe pup cries all day..
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada