Author Topic: Pyrs and puppies  (Read 5185 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Pyrs and puppies
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »
Not many chatters on here anymore?
Pyr owners...any of you introduced a pup to your adult pyr? Marley isn't really interested in the pup? that normal? he pretty much gets up and walks away when she goes over to him. It has been a week...not enough time?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

marypyrs

Re: Pyrs and puppies
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:46:41 pm »
Haha! It's the week end. Things are pretty quiet around here on WE's. I came back inside to watch the Belmont. Got caught up in that (never watch TV unless it's something like this) & then started scrubbing the kitchen floor. Why? I have NO idea! So here I am.

Your Mr. Marley sounds like a typical Pyr Boy. Quite reserved. It may not seem like it now, but believe me, they have a dialogue going. Not to worry. OK?

However! In order to fully understand the situation THERE MUST BE PICTURES!!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF PICTURES!!!   ;)  :D

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:03:48 pm »
It may not seem like it now, but believe me, they have a dialogue going. Not to worry. OK?

thanks! I needed to hear that. He is my first pyr, first dog and 100% my baby. He loves our neighbours dog and is sad when he leaves so we decided to get him a buddy. I think I need to put my patience hat on don't I..I am worried they won't click and the puppy (Jasmin) stares at him with complete adoration...th en Marley grunts and walks the other way. My heart breaks.
I will post more pictures  :) The only time I can get pics of them together is bedtime when Marley lets Jasmin lay beside him. In that moment I sigh....and see the possibilities! ha ha
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 08:37:55 pm »
I can't give an advise as I only have one Pyr and she is pretty weird about other dogs ::) When I take her to the dog park she either just runs around without playing with any dogs or finds one dog out of 30 that she likes and can be generous and give her "queen" attention to that dog. I also tried dog sitting and that didn't work...Lily got too hyped up about other dogs being in the house that I couldn't deal with that :P She seems to be very happy to be the only dog which kills me because I do what another one one day...I guess it has to be another Pyr :)

P.S. I know that BMD are very people oriented and much more energetic than Pyrs and Marley boy just doesn't have enough of patience to deal with that :-\
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:44:22 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 10:11:15 pm »
Not many chatters on here anymore?
Pyr owners...any of you introduced a pup to your adult pyr? Marley isn't really interested in the pup? that normal? he pretty much gets up and walks away when she goes over to him. It has been a week...not enough time?

We did.  Cara, my first Pyr, was 10 y/o when we adopted Daisy, who was 8 weeks old.  Like Marley, Cara ignored Daisy for a while (other than a few snuffles).  I remember that it was sad b/c Daisy looked at Cara like a surrogate mom & Cara didn't seem too interested.  Also, since Cara never had any puppies, she may not have had much of a maternal feeling toward Daisy (nor would Marley).  Later my girls played a little, but this was pretty different from your situation b/c Marley is only 2 & Cara was a very old lady when Daisy came in.  I'm betting that in time that Marley will find some advantages to being a big brother.  Right now she's too tiny to be much fun for him, plus being a Pyr, he's instinctively gentle with little ones (like he'd be with lambs).  So right now he's probably a little put off, a little bored (not much fun yet  ;)), and a bit worried that he'll step on the baby.  Oh & I agree with Jane, I just bet that they *do* have some dialogue going already.  Just wish we could listen in, don't we??   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:30:58 am »
I agree!  We need more pics!!! 

I don't have a Pyr, but just wanted to say that it definitely took a couple of weeks before Winston and Champ truly acclimated to each other.  In my case, it was actually Winston (who was 6 months) that wanted nothing to do with Champ...but then one day out of the blue (maybe about 2.5 weeks later???) Winston "pawed" at Champ in this weird, awkward, yet playful way, and they've been BFFs ever since!  Just give it some time!