Author Topic: Out in Nature (Snake included)  (Read 6015 times)

lins_saving_grace

Out in Nature (Snake included)
« on: June 08, 2008, 06:28:40 pm »
and I found this.   turns out this is a dangerous type of snake that if i had pushed him he would have bitten...and it's venimous.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:21:46 pm by Lin »

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Out in Nature
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »
I think it looks like a cotton mouth. Nasty critters.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 06:46:13 pm »
Denny called it a "puff hatter" which is a funny name for a black mamba.  he thought it was a garter snake at first and wouldn't have told me to try to get a good picture of it if he thought it was dangerous.  but it hissed and almost growled at me. 

angelsmama

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 07:05:59 pm »
yeah that's a cottonmouth..

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:07:28 pm »
Oh god I wish I didn't click on this thread - especially that last picture. Just the thought of snakes makes me shudder
RIP former BPO

angelsmama

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:14:43 pm »
you took a beautiful picture though, i love snakes. rest assured, cottonmouths USUALLY try not to bite. there was a study done on them. Here's part of an article on them from Wikipedia.

Within their range, cottonmouths have a reputation as being aggressive snakes. However, in tests designed to measure the suite of behavioral responses by free-ranging cottonmouths to encounters with humans, 51 percent of the test subjects tried to escape and 78 percent used threat displays or other defensive tactics. Only when the snakes were picked up with a mechanical hand were they likely to bite.[11]

In addition, many of the snakes that did bite did not inject venom. Such a "dry" bite could also be another, more serious threat display. Unlike most snakes, including the copperhead, when startled the cottonmouth often will stand its ground and open its mouth ("gape" or "smile") to warn predators to stay away. That behavior is many times seen as aggressive, but if left alone they will leave.

You're lucky you didn't meet a Copperhead. Those are very aggressive and will try to bite you sometimes if you aren't even doing anything.. The Copperhead isn't as venomous as the Cottonmouth though. But the Rattlesnake is more venomous than both  :P. They usually do deliver a dry bite though, and whe nthey do inject venom it's not super serious and very rare to kill given that you seek attention. It's weak enough venom that they only give you antivenom in real serious cases. So yes he's a bad boy but not one that can kill you.

K I'm done being teh Steve Irwin of the board haha.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 07:21:07 pm »
I feel faint.

lorim2

Re: Out in Nature (Snake included)
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 07:25:57 pm »
Well I consider you very lucky!  We have been looking for cottenmouths here, also called water moccasins (sp).  We have not found one all season which is rather unusual.  We have tons of copperheads... We always catch, picture and then release to see if we have discovered a new strain..but not yet...We are always on the lookout for something new..so congrats on the great pic!

Offline BandRsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Its the Dogs Life
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 10:22:47 pm »
Luckily that isnt a puff adder... They live only in South Africa.  Here's a pic -

And the mamba is also only in africa.  They are actually quite sweet looking compared to the cotton mouth.  Amazing how looks can be deceiving.

Good thing you didnt get struck.. that thing didnt look happy!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 04:04:53 am »
Ewwwwww, those are not happy lookin' snake eyes, Lin.  (shudder) How close were you when you took that pic?  I'm really glad that you're ok.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 04:11:15 am »
he was a little upset looking.  i got about 2 feet in front of him.  I got a new zoom lens for my birthday, so i could have gotten farther away.  that was when I thought Denny was right and it was only a garter snake.   I'm glad he didn't want to poke it and make it move.  i wanted a picture with it's mouth open and all.  he said no and let's go now since it's getting defensive. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:11:59 am by Lin »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 04:27:33 am »
he was a little upset looking.  i got about 2 feet in front of him.  I got a new zoom lens for my birthday, so i could have gotten farther away.  that was when I thought Denny was right and it was only a garter snake.   I'm glad he didn't want to poke it and make it move.  i wanted a picture with it's mouth open and all.  he said no and let's go now since it's getting defensive. 

Oh wow, that *was* close.  I don't know if they are like rattlesnakes or not, but I was told that rattlers (if coiled) could strike as far away as their body length.  Ok, I've got a serious case of the crawlies now. 
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:01 am »
I don't want to know.  :)  the less I know the better.  fear and panic set in much later than the incident with me.  I just do, then think sometimes.  but Denny said it was only a garter snake, so I was cool. 
I felt faint yesterday evening. 

marypyrs

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 10:30:05 am »
I had to "Google" Black Racer.  :o YIKES!  :o
I guess I'd rather deal with ticks, skeeters & the nasty tiny biting black flies.  :-\

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:05 am »
OH GOD!  Those racers are awful.  Denny told me we have blue racers up here and they are mean and jumpy.