Author Topic: Mixed Breed  (Read 4972 times)

Offline OdyOne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Mixed Breed
« on: April 06, 2005, 03:33:43 pm »
Hello all!  I'm an owner of a woderful 25 week old pup named Dozer.  I am also going to ask for a little bit of your help!  I have been told that he is a mix between a pit bull and a great dane.  I will post a pick of him.  I'd like to ask you your thougths on him, and as to what he may be!  He is goofy, eats my shoes, loves our son!  He follows me everywhere!  Never stops barking and jumping on people when they arrive so he spends some time in the cage when we have visitors because I cannot get him to behave.  Thanks everyone!
Melody

Offline OdyOne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Mixed Breed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 03:38:06 pm »
This is Dozer.  He weighs 55 pounds.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 03:51:36 pm »
I think he looks like a shar-pei mix - those ears are hilarious!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Gulliver

• Gnawer
  • My late and wonderful 140 lb. pal, Gulliver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2005, 04:53:46 pm »
I'd agree, Melody. He looks like a Dane/Pit mix.  He has a mask like a fawn colored Great Dane and the stocky body of a Pit If he's already 55 pounds at 25 weeks, he's gonna be a BIG guy.  He looks like a sweetheart.
From Vinalhaven Island, Maine

Offline IMOBeethoven

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2005, 06:47:04 pm »
He's a cute and handsome guy.  It may be a good idea to start Dozer's obedience training as soon as possible.  By the time he weighs a 100 lbs the jumping on people, etc. won't be so exciting.  Just a suggestion.
Martine

Offline OdyOne

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2005, 06:55:00 pm »
I was told that he definetely has pit bull in him.  But everyone who sees him asks if he is a great dane pup.  None of us are real sure of WHAT he is!  He does have goofy ears.  They didn't used to stand and now they do on there own.  I don't like that pic but the one I wanted to put(where you can see his whole body) said it was too big.  I might try and take another.  We were doing real good on the training aspect but lately he has slipped!  I can't afford to pay for classes right now nor do I have the time to take him so I have been reading a few training books and following them.
Melody

Offline RottnPeytonsMom

• Gnawer
  • Peyton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 01:04:40 am »
I definately see the pit and the dane but I wonder if he doesn't have a little shepard in him since you said that he barks alot. I have heard that shepards are very vocal dogs. ANd the ears look almost shepard like. Could be wrong. Just an opinion
Please dont forget me, for if I thought you would I would never leave-Christopher Robin

Offline messiah

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 07:21:18 am »
I believe he looks like a pit mix. I've got a couple of them myself. As far as his barking and jumping on people, boy have I been there. He needs to be socialized more. At first, I did the same thing. (putting them in their cage when company came over) That was before I realized how important it is to have a socialized pit. It can be a hassle at first but it is worth it in the long run. One thing I've learned from fostering pits is an unsocialized pit is a problem waiting to happen.

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2005, 08:45:36 am »
Oh boy are you right! The barking and jumping on people will get SO out of hand without intense socialization and lots of obediance! I rescued an extremely hyper, untrained but loveable pit at 8 months. He weighed about 80 pounds. I worked with him alot, but also didn't have time/money for obediance. I used books, and taught him quite a few things, plus, I took him EVERYWHERE with me. He became quite socialized, but, I was never able to get the jumping on people under control. One day, he ran up to a lady on the street and jumped on her. She began to scream and hit him with a broom. He scratched her arm, I can't tell if it was with his claws or if he actually nipped her a bit, it was a small wound. Anyway, he ended up getting seized by animal control and euthanized! It was devastating!

My point is that you HAVE to get those behaviors under control because they WILL end up being a huge problem! Good luck! Dozer is totally adorable and I'm sure that you'll do a great job. My vote is for Shar Pei/Pit.