Author Topic: Help with thunderstorm reaction!  (Read 24629 times)

DenverFurKiddos

Re: Help with thunderstorm reaction!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 04:18:53 pm »
I'm so sorry that BOTH of you are having to deal with this!  Poor Jenny!  Do you crate her?  I'm wondering if you could crate her, cover the crate, then give her something SUPER yummy and special to distract her.  My dogs LOVE the frozen, raw bones that you can buy at Pet Supplies Plus- it can take awhile for them to finish them off. 

Maybe also some mega-exercise before the storm to burn-off any extra anxiety?  Besides that, I'm at a loss!  I hope your vet can be more helpful!

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 04:49:54 pm »
I'm so sorry that BOTH of you are having to deal with this!  Poor Jenny!  Do you crate her?  I'm wondering if you could crate her, cover the crate, then give her something SUPER yummy and special to distract her.  My dogs LOVE the frozen, raw bones that you can buy at Pet Supplies Plus- it can take awhile for them to finish them off. 

Maybe also some mega-exercise before the storm to burn-off any extra anxiety?  Besides that, I'm at a loss!  I hope your vet can be more helpful!

Thanks. Yes, I tried giving her one of her favorite bones, but she didn't want it. And today, I have taken her on 3 separate walks for a total of 3 hours to try to tire her out so that she'll sleep even if she's scared.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

marypyrs

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 05:43:49 pm »
Quick question. Is it the rain - or is there wind involved?

By the way ~ I feel your pain. Rainbow is very sensitive to storms too. The only thing so far as any meds that help in the least little bit is Benadryl. One capsule and NO MORE than two for a Pyr. Could be that what the Vet prescribed may be too much for her. ? ?

Good luck. I'll be thinking of Jenny next time the weather turns bad. I totally identify with your frustration. A glass of wine, a couple Ascriptin, and a Benadryl or two for ME has helped the most.  ;)  :D 

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 05:46:47 pm »
It seems to be a combination of the dark with rain--the light rain that we had last night did not have wind, so I'm pretty sure it's the rain.

I will definitely try Benadryl tonight. Thank you for the suggestion, Mary. I have some Children's Benadryl in the house--it has 12.5 mg of diphenhydramin e--would I still give her just the 1-2 pills?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:51:28 pm by pyr4me »
Jennifer

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

marypyrs

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 05:54:17 pm »
Yes. 25 mg capsules. The capsules or gel caps work faster than the tabs.

Ranbow HATES thunder storms. The wind really gets her upset, but strangely, it's the West Wind. ( w, nw, sw,) East winds are seldom a problem. It's blowing like crazy right now (E NE) and she's sound asleep in her crate without a care in the world.

Modified to add - make SURE it's only Diphenhydramin e Hydrocloride. There are other Benadryl formulas out there (I'm not familiar with the children's) so do not use anything else.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 05:57:52 pm by marypyrs »

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 07:22:57 pm »
Hang in there.  Hopefully you will find something and/or a combination of things that will help.  We do know that living with a thunderstorm dog can be extremely stressful and exhausting!!!  Last year we had a lot of storms and there didn't seem like there was much time in between them for Cirra to "recover".  It is my understanding that it can take days for a dog to relax from being in a very anxious state.  This year we have not had as many storms.  I really think that each dog is different and what works for one may not for another.  It has been helpful to Cirra and us if we can keep her out of that really crazy anxious state as much as possible using distractions, homeopathy, anxiety wrap, roast beef, etc.  Once she gets to that crazy state there is not much we can do except put a no pull harness and leash on her and keep her safe.  We do think that the wrap helps her recover sooner!!!  Last year I would have said that there is no way Cirra would respond to anything during a storm.  She stills gets crazy during a bad storm however we have found  ways to help minimize the stress for all of us.  There is hope!!!  I can't remember - do you have a basement?  Some folks say the bath tub is grounding and helpful (I would not trust Cirra in a bath tub when she is crazy)  Do you go out after the storm to show her that everything is OK? 

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 08:13:15 pm »
I have one that REALLY freaks out firecrackers,thunder lighting she chewed through a door in a rental i lived in landlord said he had never seen anything like it! I had a custom door built for my kitchen she has clawed the door it looks like there was wild bear in my kitchen. My one vet told me to wipe her with a bounce sheet that the static in the air makes it worse for long hair dogs it did seem to work only what if i am not at home?When she was a pup she would get in the bath tub and huddle with another dog. She drives me nuts and this has been going on for 8 years! Marina

Noise phobia, often manifested as excessive fear during thunderstorms, is a relatively common affliction of dogs. Sadly, it is a problem that leads some frustrated owners to euthanize or give up their dogs. Each Summer YGRR receives many calls from families who feel that they can no longer deal with their Golden’s fearful and sometimes destructive response to thunderstorms. If your dog suffers from fear of loud noises, you may want to share this article with your veterinarian. Hopefully the possibility of new treatment options for noise phobia may save some dogs from euthanasia or abandonment. This article includes information on:

What is a Phobia?
Natural Treatments
Homeopathic Remedies
Flower Essences
Music Therapy
Hug Therapy
Pharmacologica l Medications
Behavior Modification
What is a Phobia?
A fear is classified as a phobia when it is out of proportion to the danger of the real situation. Phobias generally become worse, not better, with repeated exposures. Dogs with mild noise phobia may look anxious during thunderstorms, tremble, hide under the bed or in the bathtub, and be afraid to go out of doors for hours after the storm has passed. If your dog suffers mildly, the best you can do is train him to go to a certain place in the house where he feels comfortable; some dogs like to go into an open crate, some like the bathtub or shower. If your dog heads to a certain spot and seems calmer, reward him. Severely afflicted pets may soil in the house, destroy furniture, attempt to break through walls or crash through windows, often hurting themselves in frantic efforts to flee the source of their fear. In addition to thunderstorms, dogs may develop noise phobic reactions to fireworks, gunshots and, less commonly, loud engines or sirens.

Some dogs can be taught not to fear thunder and other loud noises. For information on the accepted methods of doing this, see the Behavior Modification section below. For dogs who are resistant to behavior modification, anxiety reducing treatments (natural or pharmacologica l) may offer a solution.

Natural Treatments

An article in The Whole Dog Journal reports that one of the most effective treatments for thunderstorm phobia is melatonin, an over-the-counter hormone used by humans to treat insomnia.

Dr. Nicholas Dodman and his colleague Dr. Linda Aronson of the behavioral section at Tufts New England Veterinary Medical Center had been looking for something that would help reduce canine thunderstorm phobias when they discovered research papers on the effect of melatonin. Research indicated a positive effect of melatonin on dogs that continually lick their flanks as well as a calming effect on chickens in overcrowded conditions.

Drs. Dodman and Aronson wondered whether melatonin might work on noise phobic dogs. The first dog to try it was Dr. Aronson's own Bearded Collie who had severe thunder phobia after lightening struck very near her house. The effect of the melatonin was dramatic. The dog simply stopped being afraid instead of tearing around the house and digging at the carpets. The melatonin did not put her to sleep, she stayed awake and alert -- just not bothered by the thunder.

Drs. Dodman and Aronson then gave the melatonin to other dogs and produced the same result. Melatonin worked for other noise fears (one dog was afraid of songbirds) as well, including fireworks!

Melatonin is sold in capsules and tablets in health food stores, pharmacies and some supermarkets. It is sold in doses as low as 200 micrograms (mcg.). For most dogs, Aronson prescribes 3 milligrams (mg.) In a few cases, dogs weighing over one hundred pounds needed 6 mg. but that was unusual. Aronson usually gives dogs that weigh less than 30 pounds, 1.5 mg. Although they have not treated any phobic really tiny dogs, Aronson would reduce the dosage further for them.

It's important to read the labels on melatonin bottles very carefully. Some are mixed with herbs or nutrients that may not be safe for dogs. Make sure you buy the correct dosage for your size dog. Remember, there are 1,000 micrograms (mcg.) in a milligram (mg.) so a 200 mcg. pill contains only 1/15 of the amount recommended for a large dog.

Because melatonin is not regulated by any federal agency, the quality varies greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer. If an inferior product is administered, it may not be effective in calming a dog whereas a higher quality product might be. We cannot recommend any particular brand that is best, so the best course of action is purchase the product from a supplier you trust and believe to carry better quality. Some holistic veterinarians sell melatonin and their products might be better quality.

You can give your dog melatonin before you leave for the day if thunderstorms are predicted because it remains effective for several hours. Otherwise, give it when thunder seems imminent. Give melatonin immediately when you see your dog becoming agitated. If your dog has automimmune disease or severe liver or kidney disease, check with your veterinarian before giving melatonin.

The April 2000 issue of The Whole Dog Journal has a comprehensive five page article on remedies that do not use drugs. The May 2000 issue has a complete article on melatonin and other holistic phobia remedies. To purchase a copy, contact The Whole Dog Journal at (800) 424-7887 or customer_servi ce@belvoir.com. This is an excellent publication that does not accept any advertising.

Some Golden owners have alleviated their dog's anxiety by dispensing Calm Pet by NutraBest/Natural Pet Nutrition which contains valerian, chamomile, kava kava, St. John's wort and melatonin.

Homeopathic Remedies

A solution that is very safe and quite effective for some dogs is the homeopathic remedy Phosphorous PHUS 30C which is available in health food stores. This is a natural compound, which is used for fear of thunder or loud noises. Drop 3 to 5 pellets down the back of the dog's throat (do not touch the pellets with your hand) every fifteen minutes until you start to see results. Then stop. You can resume giving the pellets if the dog starts to get agitated again. If Phosphorous does not seem to work, during the next storm try Aconitum Napellus 30C. Administer it in the same manner. Practitioners of homeopathy point out that a remedy either will work or not, but it will not harm the dog or cause side effects.

Flower Essences

Individual flower essences are used to address a wide range of discrete emotional balances. Remedies are matched to the specific mental and emotional needs of your animal. Flower essences are some of the very few substances that foster emotional healing - unlike drugs - which never cause side effects.

Either Rescue Remedy, Calming Essence or Five Flower Formula is a good remedy to start with to see if it calms your dog during a storm. If it does not help, during the next storm you can try one of the single flower essences. Working with essences is very individualized . It often takes a few tries before you hit upon the best one or the best combination.

Start with a single remedy. One of these two usually will do the trick; Mimulus, which works for "fear of known things" and Rock Rose, which works for terror and panic. Let your intuition guide you. If you're home when a storm is approaching, administer a dose before and during the storm. If you see that your animal is still agitated or depressed after the storm, give the remedy again. If you try the Mimulus, for example, and notice a slight improvement, for the next storm try Mimulus again along with Rescue Remedy or Calming Essence. If you don't see results with these two remedies, try Aspen or Star of Bethlehem.

You can learn more about the healing power of flower of essences. One good book is Bach Flower Remedies for Animals, available from Findhorn Press (850) 893-2920 or amazon.com.

Instructions for Flower Essences: Weight between 1-20 lb. - One drop every five pounds of body weight; 20 lbs. and over - 4 drops for the first twenty pounds plus one drop for every additional ten pounds (example: 75 lb. Dog = 10 drops each dosage).

Three Ways to Administer Flower Essence

In the water bowl - Place 5 drops into freshly filled, small water bowl (1 to 2 cups size); use 10 drops of the remedy in large water bowl (3 cups plus).
In the mouth - Place drops between the lip and gum.
Add to meals - Mix the remedy with water at a ratio of 1 tablespoon to each 2 drops of essence and mix with food. This is the least preferred method.
For fear of storms, give before, during and if needed 24 hours after the storm. For other conditions, administer the remedy twice or three times per day with or without food for two weeks and observe if the condition is improving. If it improves, continue for two weeks and then stop.

Music Therapy

If you're searching for a way to calm an overly anxious dog, harp music may be the answer. Sue Raimond plucks harp strings for a living. She has successfully tested the effects of the vibrations and blended tones on wolves, dogs, cats, monkeys, goats, sheep, donkeys and gorillas. Her harp therapy has drawn the interest of leading veterinarians and animal behaviorists who regard harp music as a complementary tool in modifying undesired behavior in family pets.

How does it work? Raimond, who's studied its effects for 9 years, believes that vibrations of the strings send out overtones -- some of which are inaudible to the human ear. She believes, although it has not been scientifically proven, that the harmonic overtones work at a cellular level and reduce stress levels.

Scientific studies indicate the benefits of music therapy for humans: slowing the heart rate, lowering blood pressure, speeding post-surgery recovery, elevating endorphin levels, bolstering immune function, decreasing stress related hormones.

Raimond believes that her live harp music is 95 percent effective in calming animals, including deaf ones who appear to relax when they feel the vibrations. Playing the music on CDs or audiotapes yields about an 87 percent rate. Dogs must hear at least three minutes of music for it to take effect. Generally at this point, most dogs will start to sit down. Within 10 to 20 minutes, most lie in a resting state with some sleeping soundly.

Clients of Raimond's report that her music seems to have also helped canine cancer patients to relax.

Raimond recommends playing music as needed -- not continuously -- because some animals can become desensitized to it.

Copies of Raimond's CDs are available from her via email: petpause2000@yahoo.com or phone (800) 971-1044.

Hug Therapy

"Body wrapping" seems to calm and focus some anxious and stressed dogs. Neurobiologist s believe that any type of trauma can damage nerve receptors, leading to exaggerated responses to stimuli. By applying constantly maintained pressure, the wrap provides an unchanging, quieting stimulus that causes the receptors to adapt and modify their thresholds in a cumulative manner.

Dog behaviorists have developed a variety of techniques for "wrapping" a dog ranging from T-shirts to elastic bandage wraps. The easiest wrap for a dog owner to try is the Anxiety Wrap -- a sturdy, stretchy vest that hugs the torso like a body stocking. The Wrap's inventor emphasizes that the dog should be introduced to the wrap before anxiety causing situations are present because you don't want the dog to associate the Wrap with something that causes distress.

The Wrap comes in a variety of sizes and colors. For more information, visit www.anxietywra p.com or call (877) 652-1266.

Pharmacologica l Medications

For dogs who are resistant to behavior modification, anxiety reducing drugs may offer a solution. The two traditionally used tranquilizers for noise phobia are Acepromazine and Valium. "Ace" is classified as a major tranquilizer and is a very strong drug that at effective doses produces heavy sedation and incoordination . Where thunderstorms are frequent, these side effects may make the drug undesirable. Valium, on the other hand, may not be strong enough to block severe phobic responses and is so short acting that it may not be effective for afternoon thunderstorms when given in the morning by working owners.

Tranxene-SD is a long acting Valium type drug that may be useful for working owners. The initial dose for large dogs is 22.5 mg. once a day. This dose may need to be adjusted according to response. All drugs of this class can produce the opposite reaction, a paradoxical excitability, and should first be given when the owner is at home. If used over a period of time, the dose should be tapered gradually, rather than abruptly discontinued.

A drug that seems to offer promising results in dogs with mild symptoms is buspirone. Initial research seems to indicate that buspirone may not block severe phobic reactions. Other medications include the anti-anxiety medication alprozolam (Xanax) and a beta-blocker such as propranlol or inderol (which minimizes the dog's physiological, but not emotional, response to fear). "Beta blockers" are commonly used in people and pets for various heart conditions and high blood pressure. It is also taken by some musicians and performers to relieve the symptoms of stage fright.

The latest preferred medication is clomipramine (Clomicalm) which has been approved by the FDA for treating separation anxiety in dogs. This is closely related to amitriptyline, a drug that has had beneficial results on thunder-phobic dogs. Both drugs work to correct the balance of the level of chemicals called neurotransmitt ers in the brain. Unfortunately, some drugs do have side effects and to get the fullest benefit, thunder-phobic dogs must take anti-anxiety medications from the beginning of the stormy season and extending through the season's duration.

Unfortunately, sedation sometimes is the only way to help a dog with noise phobias. Bear in mind, however, that most drugs do not help a dog recover from his fear or prevent a negative reaction the next time he hears the noise. You have a scared dog that is too drugged to run. Sometimes this is the only option for the owners of dogs who cannot be helped by an other treatments.

Consult your veterinarian for advice.

Behavior Modification

Two basic techniques of behavior modification are routinely employed in treating dogs with noise phobia: desensitizatio n and counter-conditioning. Desensitizatio n is the process by which an anxiety producing stimulus, in this case thunder, is presented so subtly as to not produce a fearful response. Very gradually the intensity of the stimulus, or volume of the thunder, is increased, always keeping it below the fear producing threshold. Counter conditioning is the conditioning of an individual to respond to the feared stimulus with a reaction incompatible with the undesirable response. For example, the dog is encouraged to enjoy delicious food treats, as the thunder volume increases.

An excellent article written by Victoria Voith D.V.M, Ph.D. and Peter Borcheidt, Ph.D., two leading veterinary behaviorists details the specifics for carrying out a behavior modification program at home. It requires some effort on a family's part, but can offer a successful "cure" if meticulously followed and if it is possible to reproduce an authentic enough stimulus, in this case, a faked thunderstorm, to elicit a fear response in the dog. Herein lies the cause for many treatment failures. It can often be difficult, even in specially designed sound labs complete with high quality loudspeakers, darkened rooms and strobe lights to recreate a sufficiently realistic thunderstorm. (Copies of this article, outlining a detailed, well constructed behavior modification program, may be obtained by requesting Booklet #1110 "Fear of Thunder & Other Loud Noises "from Quaker Professional Services, 585 Hawthorne Court, Galesburg, Illinois 61401)

An audio tape available in pet supply stores contains many sound effects. Instructions are included.

YGRR does not accept responsibility for any suggestions made in this article. It is up to each individual dog owner to check with his veterinarian to determine what is best for his dog.

Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2008, 08:44:16 pm »
Thank you for the excellent article information!  We have tried several of them and believe we are getting better with management, for Cirra and us.  Reduction of stimuli is one key.  We know Pyrs that have gone to the basement with blacked out windows....... .Pyrs in bathtubs...... Pyrs with calming caps......and our girl with the Anxiety Wrap,TFLN or fast acting Melatonin,distractions and reduced stimuli.  We go out as soon as it is safe to do so and show Cirra that the world is as it should be.  She recovers quicker that way, and we leave the wrap on for awhile.  She started all of this with FIREWORKS peaking over the trees next door. Her reactivity is worse at night as well when the light flashes contrast more, so we turn on the outside floods to diminish the contrast.  Problem is that the lights can flash on and off with power interruptions, and then Cirra will ramp up even more.  Melatonin did the best with that last year.  (We took the melatonin as well if it was at night)  Denise has also done some calming accupressure learned from the book, The Well Connected Dog.
Again, hang in there.  Thinking of ya!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2008, 04:38:03 pm »
Jake, our pyr, also has strong reactions to any noise.  Living in Fl and with the summer storm season just starting, we are dealing with it again.  We are going to try hormone replacements for him, starting next week, since he was neutered very young, by the rescue group we got him from.  Right now I am giving him 2 benadryl, right when they start and he is pretty much sleepy enough to lay down and relax.  When he gets really wild, if I don't catch him, before the storm starts, Cody will get in his face growling and snapping and force him to lay down and shut up.  I wish I could get Cody to do this everytime he freaks out, as it really works.  He focuses on Cody and stops.  Good luck with Jenny.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline danwins

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:14:34 am »
hello all,

Now I am no expert, but you made a comment about how the rescue did not give you a "heads up".  Was She with other dogs at the rescue????

If she was she may not have shown signs of this behavior because she had "company, companions, others to comesurate (spelling) ).

Our Snuggles was a pound puppy and no not the stuffed toy sort but from the actual pound. 
She had a similar problem but wasnt with winds and storms (wont go into it to long).  But what I/we did for Snuggles was to go out and get her a stuffed dog a little smaller than her and slept with her and it for awhile during her rough moments and she came to think of it as something for her to protect.  dont know when the change to place it almost seemed as if it was over night. 

I know this doesnt really help much and sorry but maybe she needs another dog with her or something of her own to protect in that way or just to be with. 

Again sorry I know it isnt much. 

Danny W.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:16 am »
Thank you for your thoughts. I wish Cody could come over and tell Jenny to knock it off!  :D  Jenny does have another dog with her, Tipper, plus 2 cats, and she was with other dogs at the rescue, too. I have some Benadryl on hand and will be giving that a try when the next rains come. Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and ideas, I really appreciate it!
Jennifer

~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2008, 12:08:23 pm »
A rescued animal is a rescue for a reason, it's hard telling the life they had before they were lucky enough to find their forever home.  A Rescue facility has limited time they've spent with the dogs...yes they evaluate & such, but when you don't have time to devote to each animal as if they were your own, it can't be expected that the shelter will know every little tick an animal has.  It's their job to evaluate & place these creatures in loving, caring homes quickly & with the least trauma as possible. 

With that being said, I've got a 6 yr old female pyr rescue that has the same anxiety, fireworks are the absolute worst.  Benadryl is used to basically sedate the dog rather than calm her, which is why I don't care for it's use in this situation and others abuse it's power on their dogs.  I'm not suggesting that is what it will be used for here, but I know how frustrating this is. 

Years ago I read an article about a man that had a pyr with this same problem, his remedy was to calm the dog by telling her, "good girl, it's ok, you're alright" in a very soothing voice over & over while stroking her...it may sound too simple, but it was a miracle for me.  My Katie takes about 5-10 min of this stroking & talking to where she will settle down fine & relax through the rest of the storm.  It's not only anxiety, but an insecurity.  Exercise before bed will help with calming her down too.  We had a storm last night & Kate was too pooped to notice the start of it.

I came across something called "Chill Pills"  (all natual)in the grocery store made especially for dogs with anxieties.  I bought a few boxes (no longer available there, maybe online somewhere though) & give her a couple around the 4th of July, when the neighbors start goofing off.  They work splendidly.  But again, it's not something I keep her on...only for those occasions.  She'll bark when she hears fireworks on the TV too...forget about watching Animal Planet, lol.
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2008, 12:19:02 pm »

Years ago I read an article about a man that had a pyr with this same problem, his remedy was to calm the dog by telling her, "good girl, it's ok, you're alright" in a very soothing voice over & over while stroking her...it may sound too simple, but it was a miracle for me. 
I would agree with that ONLY if you don't feel bad for your dog while you stroking him/her. Most of the time if you try to protect/calm your pup from being afraid of something or someone you just reinforce that insecurity.
Dogs pick up on your energy and feeling right away and if you feel bad about something they feel bad about, they will think it's ok to have those feelings :) OK, it sounds confusing :-\ ;D ::)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 12:44:36 pm »
I would agree with that ONLY if you don't feel bad for your dog while you stroking him/her. Most of the time if you try to protect/calm your pup from being afraid of something or someone you just reinforce that insecurity.
Dogs pick up on your energy and feeling right away and if you feel bad about something they feel bad about, they will think it's ok to have those feelings :) OK, it sounds confusing :-\ ;D ::)

I understand...b ut if it calms the dog, in my case it does, & relieves her of the feelings to where she can sleep comfortably, I'd say it works and does not reinforce negative feelings.  I talk to her in a happy, calm tone...it beats drugging or raising your voice to the point where it would only serve to drive the dog into a deeper state of anxiety.  Storms generally don't bother me, so there wouldn't be any negative energy from me during the weather for the dog to relate to.  It's worth a shot to help her out  ;)

Karri

Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?