Author Topic: Poor Lola..  (Read 5165 times)

Lyn

Poor Lola..
« on: June 12, 2008, 08:18:31 am »
UGH.. I had no internet for 4 days! AHHHH Talk about withdrawl. :D Anyway To update the current situation, Lola is now on day 12 on her heat cycle and Bubba is still behaving!

Remember I mentioned how my luck sucks, it's usually one thing after another.. Poor Lola, not only is she in heat... Tuesday night she started straining to pee and had me up every hour or so to go outside. I suspected a UTI and I took a urine sample in Wednesday and yup UTI. :( So she's on Cephalexin 1000mg's every 12 hours for 2 weeks.

But the more I read about Cephalexin the less I want to give it to her. :o So far I haven't seen any side effects, but she is sleeping a bit more than usual. Has anyone been prescribed this for their doggy in the past?

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Poor Lola..
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 08:31:30 am »
When I did rescue, I kept Cephalaxin on hand at all times. I used it all the time for dozens of cats and dogs and never saw an adverse reaction. She may be sleeping more because her body is fighting off the infection and draining her energy.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think Maddie's reaction, while horrible, is very rare.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:36 am »
Maddies reaction is definitely scary. I think it's a combination of everything I've read, seizures, blindness, hearing loss, skin problems, hind end weakness. :o

She's only had 2 doses so far, 2 pills lastnight at supper and 2 this morning with breakfast.

It's a good possibility that she's just fighting the infection or catching up on the sleep she lost. She was very uncomfortable tuesday night and she's definitely feeling a ton better now.

This is the first UTI she's ever had and hopefully the last. ;)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 11:45:51 am »
Oh poor Lola, I hope she feels much better soon  :-*

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 09:30:02 am »
So far so good with the Cephalexin. No major side effects, she just has some slight loose stool.

She got smart to the pills covered in peanut butter trick. She was cleaning the peanut butter off the pills and then spitting them out. LOL So I have to smoosh them in bread to hide them and then slather the whole thing in peanut butter. Even then sometimes she discovers the pills and spits it out on the floor. :D

Offline DAMAGE

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Raemi, Breccan and the late, great, Drago & Chloe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 04:55:41 pm »
Hugs for Lola having to suffer with 'female problems'!! :( And, maybe some yoghurt, for a while, to re-establish the "good" bacteria that the keflex will be destroying along with the infection?
Dana
& The George Saints
"Raemi"
"Breccan"