Author Topic: Need a good laugh.. check out my hair.. lol  (Read 8074 times)

Lyn

Need a good laugh.. check out my hair.. lol
« on: June 26, 2008, 08:47:20 am »
I'm in the middle of bleaching the brown and red from my hair. Let me tell you red is a huge pain to get out! I will never put red dye in my hair again! I've bleached twice and I'm now a putrid shade of orange-yellow. I was hoping to get it to the yellow stage but I'm not going to bleach it for a 3rd time since I like my hair where it is. LOL

As a side note, does anyone know if a medium ash blonde will cover this orange-yellow? or am I going to need to go a bit darker? Dark blonde.. Light brown?

Anyway here's the photo.. laugh away.  :D

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Need a good laugh.. check out my hair.. lol
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 09:26:48 am »
I think it looks good!!!
WHATEVER you do do not use and ash on your hair it will go green with the red that is in your hair. I once had blonde hair and was attempting to dye it caramal but it ended up purple becuse of the lask of red in my hair! Since then i go to the salon to get it done! Try to go for a lite brown or dirty blonde. Nothing with red and nothing with ash try to go a bit darker. Also you have to think of what pigment is missing right now it's brown so you have to get that back into your hair before you go any further. Once you get the brown back in (dirty blonde) you will be able to lighter and lighter. Good luck and keep us posted with picts! I really do like it like that! :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 09:36:16 am »
Hey ex hair stylist here, because you are still in the deep orange shade an ash blonde will not cover that. I won't go green as you are not light enough yet. a dark blonde should cover it. If you are using box color I can't really help as I don't know what they are using to mix it. If you do decide to bleach one more time and get to the pale yellow stage then DON't use ash ash it WILL turn green. Think of the color wheel and put that towards hair, you need violet to tone down the yellow. But you are still in the orange stage therefore you need ash (green) to tone down the orange in your hair. Hope that helps.  :)

Thanks
Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 09:45:34 am »
Thanks guys!  ;)

I'll keep you posted. If I really screw it up then I guess I'm going to my hairdresser so she can chew me out and fix it. LOL

Thanks Nina. I have L'Oreal dream blonde in medium ash blonde. It's suppose to slightly lighten. I figured I might as well try the strand test and see if it covers it. If not would a light ash brown be a better option? The box of bleach says for the orange-yellow stage to use a dark blonde or light brown. So I figured if I have to go slightly darker now I can go lighter next time. 

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »
Well I did the strand test. While it did cover the majority of the orange, I'm not sure I like it. The base of the colour turned out to be a grey/purple.

I think I'm going to look for a light ash brown...

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:06:03 pm »
I don't think you need an ash, a neutral brown will nicely tone that. I just gave myself some highlights and I was at the same level you were at and I used a neutral medium blonde and I got a nice blonde out of it. the neutral color has has a balance of all three primary colors and it will tone the orange down. The ash you used had too much ash that is why you are seeing that grey/purple.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 01:08:02 pm by Nina »
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 10:19:35 am »
I seem to have the opposite experience. If I use a natural colour it never covers and I always end up with the orange/brassy still showing through. I had a dark red brown in my hair and tried to cover it with a dark natural brown.. I still ended up with red that was fading to a nice orange tint. ??? That's why I went the bleach route. LOL I don't know if it's just my hair or what?, but ash shades have always worked better for me.

BUT I did call my hairdresser this morning before I went out and bought a colour. She said a light brown would be my best bet to cover and hopfully match my natural color the best. I asked her about a light ash brown, she said it would be fine for the orange-yellow parts but any yellow-gold hair may turn a bit muddy depending...

So I put on a hat (LOL) and went to the pharmacy.. I compared Natural light brown and Natural light ash brown. The natural light brown result looked quite orange-ish and I immediately didn't want it.. I have enough orange. LOL Sooooo I got the light ash brown and I'm going to do another strand test. If it looks gross I'll go back and get the other one.  :-[

Sigh.. this is more of a pain in the butt than I thought it would be. Although if the bleach had of lightened my hair more than it did the medium blonde I originally bought would have been fine. :D

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 10:12:41 am »
Ok this pic sucks.. it's slightly lighter and less 'red' looking, but still better than it was, lol.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 10:13:26 am by Lyn »