Author Topic: injured stray cat in my neighborhood- UPDATED she is getting help!!! :D  (Read 2564 times)

angelsmama

Someone dropped a cat close by my house, she's been running for a few months and we've been leaving food out for her, she never has let us near her. Well recently it seems like she's been hit by a car , she has a bad leg but she can put some weight on it. I don't know how bad the damage is since we can't even get 20 feet from her without her running. She is obviously injured she limps pretty bad :( But she still eats, today we gave her 2 hot dogs and some cat food. Any suggestions on how we can catch her? We have a local group here that catches feral cats , spay/neuter them, and then let them go back to where they were. Do you think they could help this one? I feel awful for the poor girl knowing we can't catch her..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:49:28 pm by angelsmama »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: injured stray cat in my neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 04:35:17 pm »
Yes, either the rescue group or your vet may have a live trap that they can loan you to catch her.  If so, they should be able to show you how to set it up also.  You may want to start trying to feed the kitty some canned food in the same place each day at the same time, so that when you can borrow a trap that you can just put the trap with food in it in the same place that she's gotten used to finding your food.  You may want to choose a shady spot, so that she doesn't get too hot in the cage when you catch her (and of course, you'll need to check it really often, too).  I hope that it works for you, we've had good luck with it before.  Poor little thing, it must be very painful for her.  :(  Thank you for trying to help her.  :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

angelsmama

Re: injured stray cat in my neighborhood
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:31:59 pm »
i wrote SAAW and told them about her, even her bad leg. i got this reply

Cori--do you ever get to Fayetteville?--I can get you a humane trap to get her and get her looked after and spayed--only thing is--I MUST return her to you--I have no where for her to go--and it seems she is hanging aruond your place anayway--this way she will be well again--( the vets look at anything else wrong also--they get wormed, flea treatment etc.> but they do need to go back to you--there is no charge. --I have a trap I can loan you--can we meet up somewhere? Sue
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 11:49:13 pm by angelsmama »

angelsmama

we have already been leaving food out for her where we know she likes to hang around so it won't be a problem continuing to feed her :) i am SO happy they are going to help her!! it sounds to me like they will fix her leg. she's liable to be with them a few days, i just hope she doesn't get scared too bad when they return her :( but again at least she is getting all fixed up.  this group is amazing. they help stray cats and pet owners. this is from their site, http://www.fixyourpet.org/lincoln.htm ,
we need a lot more groups like SAAW

Although only organized since the fall of 2005, SAAW Fayetteville has made tremendous progress. During that first year, SAAW Fayetteville provided financial assistance to sterilize 170 cats and dogs. This year, 2007, we have managed to assist in getting nearly 700 spayed/neutered. The movement continues to grow. We envision great things for Lincoln County.

SAAW Fayetteville in Lincoln County has the following programs:

Spay/Neuter Assistance - SAAW provides a $20.00 co pay for Lincoln County residents on any government assistance program (food stamps, section 8 housing, etc.) or who qualify as low-income.

Spay/Neuter Discount - SAAW provides a 25% discount to Lincoln County residents contacting us for a spay/neuter assistance.

Spay Momma - Lincoln County pet owners who surrender a litter of kittens or puppies to the Lincoln County Animal Shelter may receive a SAAW certificate entitling them to get the Momma spayed for free.

Snip & Tip - SAAW participates in the Snip & Tip Feral Cat Spay/Neuter Program sponsored by the Greater Wilson County Humane Society. This program modeled after the nationwide Trap/Neuter/Return (TNR) Program occurs on the third Sunday of every month. SAAW volunteers work with feral cat colony caretakers to trap feral and semi-wild cats and take them to the designated surgery where they are sterilized, given a rabies shot, flea treatment, and checked for ear mites. Since Sept 2005, over 200 feral cats from Lincoln County have been sterilized and returned to their colony site.

Critter Fixer Spay/Neuter Clinic - The big goal for 2008 is to open a low-cost spay/neuter clinic that would serve low-income pet owners, animal welfare (shelters, rescue, and animal control) organizations, feral, semi-feral, and barn cats in Lincoln County and the surrounding counties. There are a dozen or so such clinics scattered throughout the state, but none within 50 miles of Lincoln County. A low-cost clinic located in this area is sorely needed.

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :) :) :) :) :)

I am so glad kitty will get some help it is really sad when you see any injured animal and you would like to help them but you just can't catch them! Marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats