Author Topic: Adult Pyr weight- AND PUPPY PICS!  (Read 12193 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Adult Pyr weight- AND PUPPY PICS!
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:29 pm »
Hey everyone
I have added puppy pics to attract readers and incourage feedback to my post hee hee hee..

Curious.. how much do your adult pyr males weigh? I know this is a vague topic as every dog is different but I am looking for a high level idea here. Marley just came back from the vet. He is under weight - no worms detected and eats all his food when it is out. I have even started him back on half puppy food to increase his calories. Nothing seems to put pounds on him. He is a big guy as far as height and he over 2 years old. His weight is 106 but more importantly I can feel his ribs and his tail? bone - (bones on his back above his butt)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:27:03 pm by MarleyPyr »
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Adult Pyr weight- AND PUPPY PICS!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:36:03 pm »
Carolyn, I should know about Sammy, but I don't.  He is due for his yearly vet check so I'll weigh him when I take him in.  When he came to us he'd been nearly starved to death and he was 68#.  I know that he was still a bit thin last Aug when he weighed in the 90's, but Sam's probably around 6 or 7 y/o. 

Marley is just 2 now, right?  If so, he's still in the teenage pyr stage, and all of mine have been thin & lanky still at that age.  I would hesitate to give him puppy food though if I were you.  The protein levels can be a real issue for the giant breeds.  As long as his energy is good & he's well in all other ways, I probably wouldn't worry.  Vets often think that dogs should be fully grown by 2, but that's not been my experience with Pyrs.  So if Marley's anything like my Pyr girls have been, he'll come into his full size around 3 to 3 1/2 years.  (Besides all of that digging & fence eating has got to use up extra calories, right?  LOL   ;)  :D)

Modified to add:  I didn't see the pics when I first posted.  Ohhhh my, are you sure that Berner baby doesn't have fluffy stuffing inside??  Honestly, that baby is so cute that I'd swear that she (I think?) is a stuffy.   :-*  :-*

Also, looking at the pic of Marley, he does look pretty thin stretched out like that.  What food is he eating right now & about how much daily?  I really, really like Innova Adult for putting on weight, at least it sure did it for Cassifras.  We've actually had to mix her Innova with Wellness Weight Management to help her slim down a touch.  If you haven't tried Innova yet, it's great food & it might be worth a try.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 03:41:59 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 04:14:41 pm »
First of all OMG!!!!!  :o Your Berner Babe is priceless! Look at those adorable fuzzy feet! & look at those soft, sweet, pink puppy pads!  :-* I'm in love!

I agree with Marie. When I first read your post I thought about the stress & extra energy burning activities he's been experiencing with the fence issues. Also the fact that he's at the two year old stage. I'll bet if you've stick measured him over the last couple of months you'll find he's grown in height again.

You might also want to change his food. I can't remember off hand what you are feeding. I switched from Solid Gold some months ago (I'd fed it for years and years) to Innova Large Breed for Whisper & EVO (sometimes with Innova) for Rainbow. I also have my own recipe to add.

I'm sure there are going to be some great suggestions and advice like Marie's.  :) Just remember that if he's healthy in all other ways, it's better to be on the thinner side than the heavy. Especially in this growth period. And yes. He will not reach maturity until 3 to 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Hugs to both your Babes!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:16:22 pm »
Well, I don't have a male but I do have a thin female :(
She looks just like him laying down! Normally, you should be able to feel JUST the tiny tops on the hip bones but they shouldn't be sticking out. Pyrs have extra skin and fat so their ribs along are not a good measuring point. He looks skinny in the picture but 106 sounds like a good weight :)
Maybe he looks thin to you and us because he shed all his undercoat out?

Modified: I LOVE your Berner!!! :-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:17:10 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 07:26:24 pm »
I worry about this sometimes, too. My vet assures me that Jenny is at a good weight, but she always looks thin to me. She's 3 1/2 yrs old and weighs 98 lbs. I can feel the tops of her hip bones. 

Innova Adult is a calorie rich food, so if you are looking to put weight on then that might be a good choice. When Tipper was on it I had to really monitor his weight because it's easy to get pudgy on it! When I switched him to Merrick he lost some weight cause it has less calories and I was feeding him the same amount that I had been feeding of Innova.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:12:36 pm »
I just took Miles to the vet last week, and he weighed 105. Of course he is still a puppy, (will be one year old on friday though!!!).

He seems to be at a good weight. I feed him a diet with 21% protein, 11% fat. Now that I think of it, that seems a bit low, but he does well with it. He is only eating about 4 cups a day now. He doesn't have much interest in food. But he'll still eat about 4 cups. Sometimes more, sometimes a bit less, depending on the amount of exercise he got that day.

And is your new baby just ADORABLE! Oh my gosh. SO cute. I want another one. ;) :D And I love the pic of the two of them together :) They are both beautiful doggies.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 06:34:50 am »
I worry about this sometimes, too. My vet assures me that Jenny is at a good weight, but she always looks thin to me. She's 3 1/2 yrs old and weighs 98 lbs. I can feel the tops of her hip bones. 

I think you DEFINETELY have nothing to worry about...our girls look almost the same size and Lily is only 80lbs at almost 2 years ::) :P :-\
Mary W. Crane

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 07:49:27 am »
Kate was (when we got her @ 2 yrs) & is back to about 87#, which is a good weight for her...Franklin was only 90# & lanky when we got him.  He's now up to 104# & a good weight for him.  He's tall & I can still feel his hip bones, but not nearly like they were.  Frank runs around the yard like a racehorse & I know that will slow in a couple years & his food will be adjusted accordingly.  He gets two cups twice a day & it seems to be doing good, I don't want to see more than 4 more pounds on him.  We went through Katie gaining weight & saw the stress it put on her.  For the last year she's been on Glucosamine/Condroitin/MSM...doubled the dose for the first three months, it has made a world of difference in the way she feels.  Even though Frank is only 2-1/2 to 3 years he will be on it soon if for nothing else but a preventative & to help keep him feeling good. 

I get this at vitacost.com, good prices for the amount of tabs in a bottle & it works great.
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 04:14:13 pm »
hmm thanks everyone. Good feedback ;D ;D
He is on Canidae right now and I have started mixing in a bit of wellness puppy. I have read great things about Innovo but couldn't find it in my area  ???
I guess I will keep my eye on him and seeing as he seems to be healthy in all other ways won't worry too much about it unless something changes.
Yes Jasmin is just adorable! especially when she is sleeping!!! ha ha little tired 'mother of a puppy' humour!

thanks again everyone!

Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline Graidyn

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:17:53 pm »
Hello,
 I am new here, and this is my first post :)I have a 7 month old male Pyr named Judge who is 33 inches tall at the shoulder and is currently 98 pounds. He was just at the Vets last night as he had to have bloodwork since we believe he is Hypo-Thyroid :-[, but he is currently at a good weight for his size. I feed him Innova Adult. Don't know if that helps for comparison at all?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 02:29:12 pm »
Hello,
 I am new here, and this is my first post :)I have a 7 month old male Pyr named Judge who is 33 inches tall at the shoulder and is currently 98 pounds. He was just at the Vets last night as he had to have bloodwork since we believe he is Hypo-Thyroid :-[, but he is currently at a good weight for his size. I feed him Innova Adult. Don't know if that helps for comparison at all?
WOW, he is a BIG boy :o
Mary W. Crane

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 07:59:19 pm »
Jake just turned 2 in March and weighs 110.  He is still filling out, his hips are spreading and his back end is starting to match his front end.  He is around 30" at the shoulders, so he is not a tall dog, but looks like he is going to be a solid dog.  He is eating about 2 to 2.5 lbs of meat/bones a day.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats